Really. My husband lost my buddy key.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DianeInRI

Really. My husband lost my buddy key.

Post by DianeInRI »

So my husband put my scooter away for me at the end of last season(5 months ago) So today is almost warm enough for me to start thinking about dusting her off. We looked high and low. No key. (not to play the blame game but my husband is famous for this) I don't have high hopes of finding it. I'm sure he put it in a "safe" place. The place we bought my scooter from was a former scooter rental shop that has since gone out of business. Can a new key be made by providing a serial number somewhere? Or does this mean my only option is installing a new ignition?
Thanks for your help.
Syd

Post by Syd »

With a key blank an old locksmith might be able to make a key for you by jiggling the blank in the ignition and reading the marks. But I'd start shopping for a new hubby, uh, new ignition. Would anything else be needed?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Any chance it was left under the seat? Accidentally locked in there?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Uh, hubby lost "the" key? In other words, you bought the scooter without the second key and did not have a new spare made at the time. Now you have been bitten by that oversight. Sounds like you will need to change out the ignition. After you do that, be sure and put the new spare in a safe (and known) place.
DianeInRI

Post by DianeInRI »

Apparently many scooters that are rented don't have an extra key. That's what I've been told anyway. I doubt the key is in the seat. We rarely open it. My husband assured me that, like a car, if you supplied a serial number (and the bill of sale if necessary) that Buddy could issue a new key. Has anyone else tried that?
Thanks
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

No, you need to replace the ignition.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

DianeInRI wrote:Apparently many scooters that are rented don't have an extra key. That's what I've been told anyway.
That is not true. The scooter comes with two keys from the manufacturer. The seller failed to pass on the second key to you.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Easy and simple, get a new ignition assembly. You will then have both keys AND the key code tag. Keep the old assembly and if you find the key, you have a spare to keep or sell it. Someone else will make a copy for the old assembly. I hate having one key for anything. I would just get a new assembly. Not that much money anyways. No fancy paperwork required, just order one.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I lost my key and rode a half a summer without it. It takes me about 5 minutes to get up and running, I installed a toggle switch. I found my key eventually. If you take the lock out some locksmiths can make a key.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

lovemysan wrote:I installed a toggle switch.
[Like]

Does that mean you had to kick start it?
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Christophers wrote:
lovemysan wrote:I installed a toggle switch.
[Like]

Does that mean you had to kick start it?
i dont remember, but i usually do anyway. The batteries never seem to last more than 18 months and I make tons of 2 minute trips around my property.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.