NSR: BS4 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

babblefish

NSR: BS4 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Post by babblefish »

For those thinking about the upcoming BS4 RE Himalayan, this YouTube video is pretty interesting. The reviewer is in England but sounds American, not that that should make any difference.
Personally, if I can't come up with enough dinero for a Triumph Scrambler, this may be my second choice.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lroWGOjbv_Q" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Interesting. 75 mph max on the flat is sort a a bummer. But heck, it's a 400. In the hilly/mountainous west, that could be a problem on the highway. Especially at altitude.

I'm nervous about that tick/rattle. I wonder what all that's about. Hopefully it's just a loose bracket and not the engine.

I wish he'd taken it off road in his review. I wonder how adjustable the suspension is.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I saw that motorcycle 2 weeks ago at the Progressive Motorcycle Show.

I do have a Kawasaki Versys 650 I bought last year after giving up on the Genuine 400 motorcycle.

I loved the look and feel of the Enfield. The look, soul, slow motor, ruggedness, etc... My Versys does everything the Enfield does, but better, smoother, and without a hiccup.... yet sometimes its a yawn to ride.

I'm coming off a 2t Stella, that should tell you what I got used to riding, and grew to love. At the same time I also had a Honda Elite. Rock Solid. Fast. Smooth. But I always went for the Stella when I could.

Quality remains a ??????

This is the bike GENUINE SHOULD HAVE COME OUT WITH.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

the bike name makes sense...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIb7gPa8O5s
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

k1dude wrote:Interesting. 75 mph max on the flat is sort a a bummer.
Aaaaand unfortunately, knocks it out of contention for me. Not that I'm looking for a speed demon, but one of the reasons I'm looking for something bigger than a 125cc scoot is highway capability. I'm not touring the country on it, but getting to my sister's or my parents house involves the turnpike in a 70mph zone, and at 70 you'll get run off the road, even if the bike isn't about to run out of steam. I admittedly haven't seen the video, but being drag limited OR gearing limited that low is kinda surprising, when my kick will do north of 65 (indicated).
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

PhillyKick wrote:
k1dude wrote:Interesting. 75 mph max on the flat is sort a a bummer.
Aaaaand unfortunately, knocks it out of contention for me. Not that I'm looking for a speed demon, but one of the reasons I'm looking for something bigger than a 125cc scoot is highway capability. I'm not touring the country on it, but getting to my sister's or my parents house involves the turnpike in a 70mph zone, and at 70 you'll get run off the road, even if the bike isn't about to run out of steam. I admittedly haven't seen the video, but being drag limited OR gearing limited that low is kinda surprising, when my kick will do north of 65 (indicated).
You're comparing real world 75 MPH to 65 BMPH (which is actually more like 52 real world MPH). No offense, just sayin.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

You may get a little more top speed with a sprocket change, but low speed performance will suffer a little.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

wheelbender6 wrote:You may get a little more top speed with a sprocket change, but low speed performance will suffer a little.
Seems like this model should be designed to optimize low speed and mid-range performance. Those who want more on the top end, are probably looking at the wrong bike.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Motorcycle.com just posted a review of the RE Himalayan. They put it to the test, so they have a lot to say.

Click Here to go read it for yourself.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Thanks for posting that, interesting read. I'm thinking if the Himalaya sells in enough numbers here, an aftermarket is sure to pop up to support buyers with all kinds of neat stuff like exhaust systems, engine and suspension mods, things like that. I'm getting excited! I love the adventure bike look but most of the ones currently in the market are too tall/big for me. The Himalaya looks to be a good fit. I can deal with the limited top speed because I rarely ride more than 5-10 mph above the posted speed limit. Can't wait to see one in person.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ABS coming next year on the Himalayan.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

k1dude wrote:ABS coming next year on the Himalayan.
More the reason to buy one this year then.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

An honest (I guess) review from an American reviewer of the Himalayan on American soil:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/r ... 20Combined

Note the max speed he achieved: 85 mph (indicated, I assume).

And just for sits and grins, the upcoming RE 650 twins:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2 ... 20Combined
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

babblefish wrote:And just for sits and grins, the upcoming RE 650 twins
Now the Interceptor twin is probably the model that would interest riders who are more concerned about performance on the highway. And it is drop dead gorgeous.
Attachments
Royal Enfield Interceptor (Small).jpg
Royal Enfield Interceptor (Small).jpg (112.59 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Dooglas wrote:
babblefish wrote:And just for sits and grins, the upcoming RE 650 twins
Now the Interceptor twin is probably the model that would interest riders who are more concerned about performance on the highway. And it is drop dead gorgeous.
RE is showing the 650 in Australia. The price I've seen quoted is 10,000 Australian dollars. At today's (3/24) exchange rate that is $7,699 exactly. That's nothing official, but it should be in a small ballpark of what it's going to be. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on one of those. Really looking forward to it!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

babblefish wrote:An honest (I guess) review from an American reviewer of the Himalayan on American soil:

Bummer. That wasn't a particularly glowing review.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

k1dude wrote:
babblefish wrote:An honest (I guess) review from an American reviewer of the Himalayan on American soil:

I suppose, but I doubt if the reviewer is the Himalayas target audience. The bike is also built to a price point so one has to make allowences for that.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

babblefish wrote:
k1dude wrote:

I suppose, but I doubt if the reviewer is the Himalayas target audience. The bike is also built to a price point so one has to make allowences for that.
Who is the Himalayan's target audience (in your opinion)?
[genuine question - not sarcastic]

It seems to be quite popular around here.
I'm not interested in it at all - I'm much more interested in something like the Scomadi 400.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Christophers wrote:
babblefish wrote:
k1dude wrote: Bummer. That wasn't a particularly glowing review.
Who is the Himalayan's target audience (in your opinion)?
[genuine question - not sarcastic]

It seems to be quite popular around here.
I'm not interested in it at all - I'm much more interested in something like the Scomadi 400.
I think the main audience for the Himalayan are (in no particular order):

- new riders
- smaller/shorter/lighter riders (think of your typical East Indian)
- people who value a bike that is nimble and light enough to weave through city traffic or through narrow and tight single track rather than something that can do Mach 2 while carrying half of their worldly belongings
- people who look at price first and specs second

Generally, I think people who would thumb their nose at scooters would thumb their nose at the Himalayan (or any small motorcycle) because both vehicles make less than 100 HP and go less than 100 MPH.

And yes, that Scomadi 400 is a nice scooter, if they ever bring it to this country. Unfortunately, that's probably a slim to none chance.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

The Stella 2T has a horrible reliability record. My "Margs" constantly threatens to either develop an air leak, break a cable, or rattle some screws loose.

I love that thing.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.