2007 Buddy 125 Italia Service

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PistolPete7390

2007 Buddy 125 Italia Service

Post by PistolPete7390 »

Looking for some input on servicing my 2007 Buddy 125 Italia before putting it back on the road in a few weeks!

Its going on 10-11 years old with 2,800 miles on it. I am the second owner and this will be my second season with it. Although it has very low mileage what services and replacements should I make before I start riding it full time this spring.

Obviously going to change engine and gear oil, but any other fluids I should replace?

New Tires? Spark Plug? Belts? Parts?

Not looking to go overboard, but want the piece of mind that I am ready for the spring, summer and fall. I will buy whatever seems necessary and my mechanic friend will do all the work.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone, hopefully this snow melts sooner rather than later.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Those are really the only two fluids you need to worry about, unless the front brakes are feeling soft, in which case maybe check your brake fluid level (though they don't often lose any). How was it running when you put it away for storage?

A new spark plug is never a bad idea. You'll be wanting an NGK CR7HSA or something that is interchange compatible. Check the air filter, inspect the tires for any dry rot, and if you're feeling very ambitious, open up the CVT and check the belt for cracks/rot. I wouldn't worry about the weights unless you have performance issues with your top speed.

Lastly, did you put any stabilizer in the tank before storage? If not,you may need to think about cleaning the carb (though you could get lucky and not need to do it). Congrats on having such a low mile example though, that 125 is definitely still in its prime, mileage-wise.
PistolPete7390

Post by PistolPete7390 »

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

It ran great before putting it away for the season and I did add stabilizer. Along with making sure I put fresh gas in it.

About a month ago we got a warm spell so I charged the battery and road it around the block a few times. Ran great considering it hadn't been turned on in 4-5 months.

I will look closer at the items you mentioned and get them taken care of it needed.

Thanks again!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

At 11 years old, your brake fluid is way past due. Get the smallest bottle you can. It's easy to flush and bleed the front brakes by yourself. Pick up a spare air filter and a new spark plug. A lot of the time you can blow/vacuum out the air filter at 2,000 and go another 2k. Use the HF197 oil filter, and be sure it is torqued to at least 12 ftlbs. Drain the oil out of the left drain plug as well. Do you know when the valves were last checked? You will want to do that if not.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

DeeDee wrote:At 11 years old, your brake fluid is way past due.
Agree. You can test it for water contamination if you wish, but I would just change it out.

Not many 125 Italias around. I think 2007 was the only year Genuine offered that combination.