Tips on selling a 2013 Blur 220i?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

HanShan

Tips on selling a 2013 Blur 220i?

Post by HanShan »

Getting minimal inquires in my area. Wondering if buying picks up more in the spring?

Anywhere else I can list it besides craigslist?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

You can try Cycle Trader. The best way to sell something unusual like a Blur is to get the word out through your local scooterists. You might find someone who has an interest in owning a hotrod scooter that goes, stops and handles well. You could try consigning it through a dealer if you have one.

Be sure to link your ad to the ScooterFile Blur 220i review so that folks can see what a cool scooter it is.
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

jrsjr wrote:You can try Cycle Trader. The best way to sell something unusual like a Blur is to get the word out through your local scooterists. You might find someone who has an interest in owning a hotrod scooter that goes, stops and handles well. You could try consigning it through a dealer if you have one.

Be sure to link your ad to the ScooterFile Blur 220i review so that folks can see what a cool scooter that is.
Thank you!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

This is a bad time of year to try selling a bike. Wait until Mid Spring when the weather starts to warm up in most parts of the country and you might get more bites. Also, Blur type scooters (sports scooters) are relatively unknown and unappreciated in the US so try to include as much information and pictures in your ad as you can. Find a picture of someone going fast around a corner on one, even a GMax if you have to. Be sure to highlight the performance parts of the scoot with closeup pictures and descriptions - things like the front and rear disk brakes, multi-link suspension, fuel injection, storage under the seat, etc.
Good luck. If I weren't saving for a full size motorcycle and you weren't so far away, I'd be interested.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

babblefish wrote:This is a bad time of year to try selling a bike. Wait until Mid Spring when the weather starts to warm up in most parts of the country and you might get more bites. Also, Blur type scooters (sports scooters) are relatively unknown and unappreciated in the US so try to include as much information and pictures in your ad as you can. Find a picture of someone going fast around a corner on one, even a GMax if you have to. Be sure to highlight the performance parts of the scoot with closeup pictures and descriptions - things like the front and rear disk brakes, multi-link suspension, fuel injection, storage under the seat, etc.
Good luck. If I weren't saving for a full size motorcycle and you weren't so far away, I'd be interested.
More good tips. Thanks.

Hoping to sell it my the end of the month so waiting is not much of an option. :(
Point37

Post by Point37 »

^^^what those guys said...i am just learning/researching scooters so i don't know a ton about them but i do know more about motorcycles and buying/selling motorcycles...use craigslist, facebook marketplace, cycletrader and any regional scooter or motorcycle forums in your area(track junkies love scooters for pit bikes sometimes)...you may have to join and post whore to get enough posts to create an ad...once the weather warms up a bit you will get more bites as long as it's priced appropriately...i didn't know much about scooters so i researched to narrow it down to good brands...a lot of people just look at price so you have to force feed them information to convince them they are buying something better...i would provide a couple review websites like the ones below and type up that this is not a cheap unreliable chinese scooter (list some cheap chinese brand names https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... ufacturers ) and that it's from a US based company...

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Genuin ... -220i.html
http://www.justgottascoot.com/blur.htm

here is my list of rules for selling stuff on CL...most of it is common sense but sometimes it helps...good luck!!!

selling anything on CL:

- information - put as much information in the ad as you can...specs, manufacturer websites, condition, year/make/model #, title status, maintenance done, modifications done, manufacturers of modifications, any extras included, etc...this tells a potential buyer "hey this person knows their sh!t!" which may also make the potential buyer feel like if the seller does their homework and maintains things well

- pictures - people love them so the more the better (a picture is worth a thousand words, right?)...take photos of all angles, show any blemishes on the item (to an extent), tire wear, show a photo of the odometer (if it's a bike) cause people would rather buy from someone that is honest...i think CL allows 12 pictures so use them all if you think you have to and use a real camera not a camera phone if it's a big money item so you can show the detail

- video - if the item is something that works take a video of it, upload it to youtube and post the youtube link in the ad...the link won't work in the CL ad (due to some of the new changes) but just type "copy and paste youtube link below into your browser for video of ...." above the youtube link...if it's a bike take a video of you starting the bike and do a quick walk around showing that all the signals, lights, horn, work...maybe rev it a little and done...this will make a potential buyer have a warm feeling knowing that the item they may buy works as it should...i think this is the reason my motorcycles sold somewhat quickly

- price - state your price in the ad title...some people won't even bother looking at it if it doesn't have a price...either post a firm price and wait it out till you get your number or you may want to start high and drop it as you go cause no matter what you do you will get people who will try to talk you down so if you give them a little money off they will think they are getting a deal...i usually just go with a firm price and stick to it cause i hate haggling and i'm usually in no rush to sell anything...so if you don't like it, go pound sand...sometimes i will state that the price is firm if i am getting a lot of calls on it or i don't want to sell it for less or entertain offers

- condition - clean/fix/maintain it before you show/sell or take photos/video of it...all about presentation

- scams - every time you post/renew your ad you will probably get scam emails...so put something in the ad to tell real buyers to type something in the subject line to help weed out the garbage emails

- renewing - i renew once a week and set reminder in my phone for it so i remember to do it cause reposting 20 expired items is a pain..if you want it to sell faster maybe you want to renew more often...just don't piss off the flagging trolls

- serious buyers will call you...if they text or email you tell them to call you...this will help you get a feel for the person as well as weed out the non-serious buyers and flakes that may waste your time

- never meet a buyer at your house or give out your address due to thieves...if you can transport it put it in your vehicle and bring it to a public place like a supermarket that is convenient for you, or meet somewhere on your way to somewhere that you are going anyway...if you can ride it do the same thing...cause if you meet someone half way, somewhere out of your way and they don't buy your item or lowball you for a price you don't want to sell for, now you wasted some gas money and your time...i'm also paranoid enough that i will ride a bike a weird way to get home to make sure no one can follow me without me noticing

- tell the buyer to meet you at X:XXam/pm sharp and tell them to call you when they get there, as well as call you if they are going to be even 5 minutes late cause you have some type of [insert BS appointment here] an hour later or something and you have to be on time...if they don't show, don't wait...there is nothing i hate more than people wasting my time

- no test rides or no test rides without full amount of cash in hand...state this in the ad if you want to go that way

- if you want to minimize wild offers state cash only no trades in your ad

- only take cash...i had a guy i know have his bike stolen with a phony bank check, guys just drove off with his bike in the back of their pickup truck
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Gonna toss a wild card in here for the heck of it, donate it. I've done it with 1 motorcycle, 2 scooters and a few cars over the years. You get the higher of the two values=blue book value or what it sold for a auction. I got a $1500 tax credit on the Adly RT50 that I donated last year, and I didnt have to deal with tire kickers, flippers, low ballers and certain dummies. Just easier then selling and the money goes toward a good cause.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

sc00ter wrote:Gonna toss a wild card in here for the heck of it, donate it. I've done it with 1 motorcycle, 2 scooters and a few cars over the years. You get the higher of the two values=blue book value or what it sold for a auction. I got a $1500 tax credit on the Adly RT50 that I donated last year, and I didnt have to deal with tire kickers, flippers, low ballers and certain dummies. Just easier then selling and the money goes toward a good cause.
That's a very good suggestion although I suspect it's more like a tax deduction than a tax credit. Either way, eliminating the scammers, game players, low ballers and outright dummies plus knowing the donation benefits others just might be worth it. I've had my Hooligan for sale here in Tucson since mid-January. I've dropped the price $500 during that time with only one serious inquiry (he decided to buy new) so I just might go the donation route if it doesn't sell within the next 2 weeks. Thanks!

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Tucson (till 3/31)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

skipper20 wrote:That's a very good suggestion although I suspect it's more like a tax deduction than a tax credit.
Yes, it is a tax deduction. If it were a tax credit, we would always donate our vehicles when it was time for them to pass on. :wink:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I don't know about the tax thing. I would ask somebody how the recent changes to the tax code would affect this before I took action. Some of the changes they made affected my situation in unexpected ways. I haven't researched this one, so I would be careful about assuming deductions that worked in the past will still work.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

I am on Disability and I do not do taxes so donating it will not work. But thanks.

Just being patient for the warmer weather...
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Sorry about that, I myself don't know the correct term. I just know it helps at the end of the year when doing the taxes. Warmer weather is coming, so thats a good thing! When out and about of the Blur, put a For Sale on it when you park it. Sounds weird but it sometimes works.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Also remember that a Blur is a Blur. Does it top out at 70+? No. Is it the fastest thing off the line. No...but it's pretty damn good

Is there any other scooter that is more fun to ride between 25 and 55 mph....NO! That thing is a freaking blast around town. I really am surprised that I haven't gotten any tickets because you just jam the snot out of traffic on it. You just can't help but run hard on it. It is a sport scooter.

They're not for everyone, you may have to wait for the right person to come along. They make a kick ass town commuter however storage is lacking.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL