Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JJScoot

Buddy 50

Post by JJScoot »

So I've had my scoot for about 10 months. I have put just over 2000 miles on it. The only thing I have done to it since I've had it is add dr pulley sliders, windshield and derestrict, add led headlight and convert deadlights to running lights and changed gear oil a couple of times.
I got flat spots on my rollers early on for some reason and was thinking I had a huge mistake getting the 50 because the performance was terrible at that time and someone suggested I check the rollers. Anyway, I replaced them with standard weighted sliders and it was night and day. Then about 1500 miles in, the thing just really seemed to be getting faster, I assume from breaking in, but I was surprised with the difference from new. On flat roads I run 41-42 gps no problem and 45 on just the slightest of declines- up to 49 on a hill by my house (I'm 224 lbs) I just wanted to share my experience because I know when I first started looking, I found this place in search of answers and wanted to share my real world experiences.
skipper20

Re: Buddy 50

Post by skipper20 »

JJScoot wrote:So I've had my scoot for about 10 months. I have put just over 2000 miles on it. The only thing I have done to it since I've had it is add dr pulley sliders, windshield and derestrict, add led headlight and convert deadlights to running lights and changed gear oil a couple of times.
I got flat spots on my rollers early on for some reason and was thinking I had a huge mistake getting the 50 because the performance was terrible at that time and someone suggested I check the rollers. Anyway, I replaced them with standard weighted sliders and it was night and day. Then about 1500 miles in, the thing just really seemed to be getting faster, I assume from breaking in, but I was surprised with the difference from new. On flat roads I run 41-42 gps no problem and 45 on just the slightest of declines- up to 49 on a hill by my house (I'm 224 lbs) I just wanted to share my experience because I know when I first started looking, I found this place in search of answers and wanted to share my real world experiences.
What's your uphill experience?

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in Tucson (till 3/31)
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Well I live in Florida so what I consider a hill will be much different than most other people's description. Around here I have no concerns about starting on a hill. I really cant remember the last time I have even had to do that other than when I had a roller issue- that was terrible. Ill check it out sometime and report back.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Just make sure that your carb and any screens or filters are clean and you're not running too lean. Two strokes run better than ever lean...right before they overheat.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL