Headlight mod

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

eedo17

Headlight mod

Post by eedo17 »

anyone see those Jeep Wranglers with the headlight "eye lids"
I am a fan of them as they make the jeep look more aggressive... I am trying to think of how to fabricate some black plastic to sit between the headlight and the front faceplate to look like the picture attached?

(I drew it in from my phone to simulate what I want it to look like)

Thoughts? Ideas?
Attachments
IMG_1118.jpg
IMG_1118.jpg (36.78 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

You mad bro? lol.
I've never understood those angry eyes mods. What happens if you're riding, but actually in a really good mood?
KooK

Post by KooK »

the only problem modifying the RH lights is that the lighting is soo poor anyway. if there were a way to improve the lighting. all for it. blocking any amount of light is probably a bad idea
eedo17

Post by eedo17 »

Stanza wrote:You mad bro? lol.
I've never understood those angry eyes mods. What happens if you're riding, but actually in a really good mood?
Hmmm come to think of it I don’t think I have ever been in a “bad� mood when riding.... just want to make it a bit more unique I suppose.
eedo17

Post by eedo17 »

KooK wrote:the only problem modifying the RH lights is that the lighting is soo poor anyway. if there were a way to improve the lighting. all for it. blocking any amount of light is probably a bad idea
Very true... I am still considering a new bulb or a way to get 2 halo lamps in there. Doesn’t seem like a lot of space. I have also looked into maybe getting a more powerful battery so I can put more than 35W behind it and go with a brighter bulb. Everything I have looked at on here seems like it’s a mod that isn’t very reliable or “jerry rigged�
KooK

Post by KooK »

i drive mostly at night for my commute. i have put the better bulb in. its OK. i tried to put an LED in there, but there is NO space behind the headlight for anything. if i remember right about 1/4" at the most. there is a bolt and bracket directly behind the bulb.
eedo17

Post by eedo17 »

KooK wrote:i drive mostly at night for my commute. i have put the better bulb in. its OK. i tried to put an LED in there, but there is NO space behind the headlight for anything. if i remember right about 1/4" at the most. there is a bolt and bracket directly behind the bulb.
Great advice thanks!! Maybe I’ll look around for a 5 inch light bar to put under the headlight or something. I can wire it up to the charging port with a switch to turn on and off. Just to use for those darker nights. Chicago is pretty well lit on the main roads but those pot holes come out of nowhere on the side streets!
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

What about putting a higher output bulb? Take in the old one, and match up a silverstar at the parts store maybe?
eedo17

Post by eedo17 »

Stanza wrote:What about putting a higher output bulb? Take in the old one, and match up a silverstar at the parts store maybe?
I was told with a higher output the bulb may not get to full power and not put out the amount of light it is capable of. Not sure how much truth that holds but it makes sense if the battery cannot provide enough juice to it I’ll be in the same situation.

On top of that I don’t know if the output would outweigh the power cycling into the battery as it’s charging itself when it’s on....
vmaxrattler110

Post by vmaxrattler110 »

I would just use a cardboard template to trace the top shape onto. Then if you want it to just sit flush on the plastics continue with the following directions. Fold template in half and find center line. Unfold it and tape it up and choose your lower eyelid shape. Make second stencil of one side of that eyelid shape. Flip it over horizontally and trace that shape on the other side of your cardboard. Now cut your cardboard for the final template.

You'll probably want to use some kind of a delrin, TIVAR UHMW (black uv resistant variety) in a thin sheet that can be bent a bit with light amount of heat so it doesn't stress the weak bodywork.

Don't get anything close to 1/4" thick. See if you can get 2.5mm or 3mm. I don't have a caliper on me right now so take that measurement with a grain of salt and verify first.

http://www.alro.com/divplastics/plastic ... tuhmw.aspx

Then mount with rivits or countersink the back without going through and use silicone to attach using the counter sunk holes as a sort of plug weld for extra hold to the eyelid.

if you rivit you may want to put a metal strap behind the plastic to avoid stress cracks or use some speaker sound deadener sheets to line the inside of the fairing to avoid it breaking.

I may be able to get you something too from work if you contact me and pay shipping since they may only sell very large sheets. We throw usable pieces away all the time of thin UHMW, the white variety that you may be able to vinyl wrap black or carbon.

Hope this helps. Others may have better material suggestions but I guarantee my template procedure will result in an accurate design.
vmaxrattler110

Post by vmaxrattler110 »

eedo17 wrote:
KooK wrote:the only problem modifying the RH lights is that the lighting is soo poor anyway. if there were a way to improve the lighting. all for it. blocking any amount of light is probably a bad idea
Very true... I am still considering a new bulb or a way to get 2 halo lamps in there. Doesn’t seem like a lot of space. I have also looked into maybe getting a more powerful battery so I can put more than 35W behind it and go with a brighter bulb. Everything I have looked at on here seems like it’s a mod that isn’t very reliable or “jerry rigged�
Anyone ever try making a bracket mounting kc offroad lamps or something like it and ditching the stock lamps. Like maybe some LED work/spot lamps

Or these.

https://www.voltageauto.com/3-inch-roun ... x5EALw_wcB

May have to find a way to run them off the DC since LED doesn't like A.C. POWER. Anyone know if a capacitor and maybe something else would work to stabilize the a.c. power so it doesn't need to run off the DC side of the wiring harness?

Sorry to highjack post. But I did respond with the info you were looking for in my previous post.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

run them off the battery.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Maybe a small inline rectifier? something like this?
handles over 100v, and 60 amps. Put that in line with the headlight leads, and run your LED all day.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ST ... gIlgvD_BwE
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

A quick cheap little mod to the headlights is changing the little 194 bulb in the front with an LED. looks kinda neat, doesn’t really affect night riding. Costs almost nothing beyond 5 mins with a philips screwdriver and a t10 LED of your choice. I got a couple pics here: https://adamdanger.wordpress.com/2018/0 ... light-mod/

I can do a walkthrough if anyone wants one.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"