Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help. roughhouse died on me today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Black Cat, Rattler & Roughhouse Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
KooK

'15 Rough House

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: help. roughhouse died on me today Reply with quote

driving home from work. hit a big bump to go over a canal. rpms went down. just thought it was because of the hill. well about 1 third or half a mile later all the while rpms wont go up, and slowly creep down. the bike just turns off. GREAT.
I try to restart it. no go. I try to kick start it. wouldn't budge. I thought i seized it. well, walked it a few blocks, tried to start it again, starter whirled, no start. kick start engaged , no start. had too hike it home over a mile and a half. tried to start it multiple times. seems like a fuel issue. at 9 o'clock at night, no use trying to see anything. gonna give it a once over if it doesnt rain too much tomorrow.

what should I be looking for? i will go over the fuel system as that is what it seems like it is. what would a big bump do to make it react like this? it was running flawless up to the bump. is there a weak point in the RH? it has been a solid bike up to this point. just under 4000 miles and not a hiccup.

Help?

Puch Maxi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that the big bump jolted the oil line loose, I'd check that. If so, the bike may have seized from lack of lubrication. You say that the first time trying to kick start it, the lever wouldn't even budge? As in, the motor was locked up? If so, that's a pretty sure sign that it seized. Depending on how bad, you may now have a roasted top end with no compression. Hopefully that's not the case, but you'll know more when you check it out in the light. Look at the oil line specifically, under the oil tank, and make sure it's still connected at both ends.
KooK

'15 Rough House

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine is not seized. I tried starting it again. And it rotates. When it dies it was in a higher gear. Maybe that was why it wouldn't budge. Still haven't had time to check it out. Hopefully tomorrow. It spins fine. Acts like no spark or no fuel. Gotta check that out. Hopefully once I remove the let carrier I'll have a better look to see if it is something simple. Which I am hoping it is...

'04 Stella GB150 '15 Roughhouse '17 Versys 650.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for Spark, Air, and Gas. One of those three.
KooK

'15 Rough House

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tore into it today. Everything checked out. Have fuel. Petcock works. Have spark. Took apart carb. Everything looked good , nothing sticking. It spins freely when cranking with start button. But does not putt putt like it wants to start. Sound just like a no fuel no spark issue. But have both. Going into the shop today. I don't have anything else to give it.

Puch Maxi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compression test?
KooK

'15 Rough House

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No tools for that much delving. I'm handy and very mechanically inclined. But lack of resources limits my abilities.

'15 Rough House

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well crap! Seems like I soft seized the engine. The shop didn't take it apart. But compression is at 60 psi. He said it ight gave trashed the rings when it was dying. Also said thay the fuel valve wasn't function properly. Maybe ran it lean and fried it. Not sure yet. Waiting on options.

Does anyone know if a rattler 110 engine will easily replace the 50? That might be an option.

Roughhouse R50

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KooK wrote:
Also said thay the fuel valve wasn't function properly. Maybe ran it lean and fried it.

What fuel valve? as in the fuel petcock under the tank?
RoaringTodd

'04 Stella GB150 '15 Roughhouse '17 Versys 650.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way it could have run lean is if there was an air leak. The auto oiler does a pretty good job of adding the proper amount of oil to the carburetor.

What kind of 2 stroke oil were you using?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Black Cat, Rattler & Roughhouse Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: