help. roughhouse died on me today

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KooK

help. roughhouse died on me today

Post by KooK »

driving home from work. hit a big bump to go over a canal. rpms went down. just thought it was because of the hill. well about 1 third or half a mile later all the while rpms wont go up, and slowly creep down. the bike just turns off. GREAT.
I try to restart it. no go. I try to kick start it. wouldn't budge. I thought i seized it. well, walked it a few blocks, tried to start it again, starter whirled, no start. kick start engaged , no start. had too hike it home over a mile and a half. tried to start it multiple times. seems like a fuel issue. at 9 o'clock at night, no use trying to see anything. gonna give it a once over if it doesnt rain too much tomorrow.

what should I be looking for? i will go over the fuel system as that is what it seems like it is. what would a big bump do to make it react like this? it was running flawless up to the bump. is there a weak point in the RH? it has been a solid bike up to this point. just under 4000 miles and not a hiccup.

Help?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

It's possible that the big bump jolted the oil line loose, I'd check that. If so, the bike may have seized from lack of lubrication. You say that the first time trying to kick start it, the lever wouldn't even budge? As in, the motor was locked up? If so, that's a pretty sure sign that it seized. Depending on how bad, you may now have a roasted top end with no compression. Hopefully that's not the case, but you'll know more when you check it out in the light. Look at the oil line specifically, under the oil tank, and make sure it's still connected at both ends.
KooK

Post by KooK »

Engine is not seized. I tried starting it again. And it rotates. When it dies it was in a higher gear. Maybe that was why it wouldn't budge. Still haven't had time to check it out. Hopefully tomorrow. It spins fine. Acts like no spark or no fuel. Gotta check that out. Hopefully once I remove the let carrier I'll have a better look to see if it is something simple. Which I am hoping it is...
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Check for Spark, Air, and Gas. One of those three.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
KooK

Post by KooK »

Tore into it today. Everything checked out. Have fuel. Petcock works. Have spark. Took apart carb. Everything looked good , nothing sticking. It spins freely when cranking with start button. But does not putt putt like it wants to start. Sound just like a no fuel no spark issue. But have both. Going into the shop today. I don't have anything else to give it.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Compression test?
KooK

Post by KooK »

No tools for that much delving. I'm handy and very mechanically inclined. But lack of resources limits my abilities.
KooK

Post by KooK »

Well crap! Seems like I soft seized the engine. The shop didn't take it apart. But compression is at 60 psi. He said it ight gave trashed the rings when it was dying. Also said thay the fuel valve wasn't function properly. Maybe ran it lean and fried it. Not sure yet. Waiting on options.

Does anyone know if a rattler 110 engine will easily replace the 50? That might be an option.
Milo_R50

Post by Milo_R50 »

KooK wrote:Also said thay the fuel valve wasn't function properly. Maybe ran it lean and fried it.
What fuel valve? as in the fuel petcock under the tank?
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

The only way it could have run lean is if there was an air leak. The auto oiler does a pretty good job of adding the proper amount of oil to the carburetor.

What kind of 2 stroke oil were you using?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.