How does a Buddy 50 compare to a Yamaha Jog?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Nintari

How does a Buddy 50 compare to a Yamaha Jog?

Post by Nintari »

Hi, I use to own a Yamaha Jog back in the 90's. I've been trying to find one again but it's pretty difficult finding a scooter that old that's in good shape with a clean title so I've started to look for a newer scooter that could compare with it as far as pick up and top speed and, well, I ruled out a lot right off the bat because everything seems to be going the way of the 4-stroke.

So I started looking around and stumbled on the Buddy 50. I noticed that it had a good reputation and was... yes.. a 49CC 2-stroke (yay) and could easily be de-restricted via a simple exhausted gasket removal to run at speeds comparable to a Jog (42-45) but... what about take off?

I've been searching everywhere for that info and haven't been able to come up with any reliable data. I see that that the Buddy is 50 pounds heavier than the Jog so part of me thinks there's gotta be a negative affect due to it but, again, I haven't been able to find anything detailing how much pick up a Buddy really has. A stock Jog would fly off a dead start and I'm looking for something with that sort of pep.

Any help would be appreciated.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I have what is as close to a Jog, a 98 Yamaha Zuma. Bone stock and pretty darn mint. My friend has a Buddy 50. The Zuma was never resricted, the Buddy had the spacer between the vario halves removed and the exhaust cone removed. The Zuma is a bit quicker off the line, but the Buddy has a faster top speed. Both have equal mid range. I love my Zuma, but if something were to happen to it I would have no problem replacing it with a Buddy. Oh, and I have no urge to hot-rod the Zuma, but it has tons of aftermarket support. Buddy has pretty good aftermarket support from what I hear for modding. Both scooters have excellent build quality to. Hope this helps.
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

sc00ter wrote:I have what is as close to a Jog, a 98 Yamaha Zuma. Bone stock and pretty darn mint. My friend has a Buddy 50. The Zuma was never resricted, the Buddy had the spacer between the vario halves removed and the exhaust cone removed. The Zuma is a bit quicker off the line, but the Buddy has a faster top speed. Both have equal mid range. I love my Zuma, but if something were to happen to it I would have no problem replacing it with a Buddy. Oh, and I have no urge to hot-rod the Zuma, but it has tons of aftermarket support. Buddy has pretty good aftermarket support from what I hear for modding. Both scooters have excellent build quality to. Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Like I said, I am in the market (after 20 plus years) for a scooter and so all this is new to me. I had a love affair with my Jog back in the day because it was just so unbelievably fast. I have a lot of fond memories of that thing and really would like to get one again but... they're old as sin now and I don't know the first thing about fixing them which means if something goes wrong on one, I'm going to have to take it to the shop and that can get a bit pricey.

I was drawn to the Buddy because of it's rep and overall design similarities with the jog. The 2-stroke engine, quality build, flat floor board... even the little compartment in front screams 'Jog'. But the speed... I just don't know if I'll be happy with it.

I've only recently been reading about restricted motors and from what I've read, it seems if you buy a new Buddy that the dealer should remove the gasket restriction for you, if asked. Is that correct? If so, is that going to give me the pep and 40+ mph I'm looking for? Because really, that's all I need. Something that will get me through 45mph roads etc. If the Buddy can pull that off, I'll have no issues picking one up.

And lastly (and this is a bit off topic), I'd like some advice on a used scooter. It's a 1993 Jog, one owner. The body is pretty much mint but the owner says that it's been sitting for years and that it just needs its carb flushed. I went over there and tried to start it but it wouldn't even attempt to turn over unless we hooked a battery pack to the battery (which she says is new). She is insisting that it's just a clogged carb, but I have no idea if that's the problem or not. I am totally fine with taking it into a shop and paying whatever is needed but I have no idea what I should ask for it, should I choose that route. What would be a good price for something like that?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

For someone who doesn't intend to do his own mechanical work, I'd say a 25 year old scooter with unknown reliability problems is a bad choice. The Buddy 50 is a good performer. Go with it, and have fun.
skipper20

Re: How does a Buddy 50 compare to a Yamaha Jog?

Post by skipper20 »

Nintari wrote:Hi, I use to own a Yamaha Jog back in the 90's. I've been trying to find one again but it's pretty difficult finding a scooter that old that's in good shape with a clean title so I've started to look for a newer scooter that could compare with it as far as pick up and top speed and, well, I ruled out a lot right off the bat because everything seems to be going the way of the 4-stroke.

So I started looking around and stumbled on the Buddy 50. I noticed that it had a good reputation and was... yes.. a 49CC 2-stroke (yay) and could easily be de-restricted via a simple exhausted gasket removal to run at speeds comparable to a Jog (42-45) but... what about take off?

I've been searching everywhere for that info and haven't been able to come up with any reliable data. I see that that the Buddy is 50 pounds heavier than the Jog so part of me thinks there's gotta be a negative affect due to it but, again, I haven't been able to find anything detailing how much pick up a Buddy really has. A stock Jog would fly off a dead start and I'm looking for something with that sort of pep.

Any help would be appreciated.
There's a LOT of Buddy 50 fans on this forum and that should tell you something. But if you want to go retro, like your Yamaha Jog 50, think seriously about a '87 Honda Elite SE 50 2T. Made only for that one year with the speedometer topped at 50 mph, it has a cult following. Will easily go 45 mph bone stock. And take-off torque is downright dangerous. Apply too much throttle from a stop and you'll be doing a wheelie without even trying. But because it's a sought after scooter, a knowledgeable seller can command a good price. If you're lucky enough to find one at a reasonable price, I guarantee that you will not be disappointed.

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in Tucson (till 4/3)
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

Dooglas wrote:For someone who doesn't intend to do his own mechanical work, I'd say a 25 year old scooter with unknown reliability problems is a bad choice. The Buddy 50 is a good performer. Go with it, and have fun.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I've decided to do. Outside of performance, I really just have a sentimental attachment to the Jog and nothing more. Which is why I made this thread. If an unrestricted Buddy can compare to it, that's good enough for me. Why not close one chapter and start a new one?

Thanks for the help :)
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My Zuma was sitting for 2 years before I purchased it. I had to get the varnish out of the carb, rebuild the carb, flush the fuel tank out 3 times, overhaul the transmission, new tires and fix a bunch of "old" scooter things. I spin my own wrenches, but I still have a lot of time into this Zuma. It's a clone of my first real scooter, so mine has sentimental value to me. If you go with a new, or gently used, Buddy 50 I hear a NCY transmission kit makes a night/day difference. Old scooters have old problems. If I didnt mess with these things for fun I never would have bought the Zuma.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Oh, Jog price. I forgot. Non-running old Jog, I dont care how mint, $200 MAX. I paid $400 for my Zuma. It did start-with carb cleaner sprayed in the air cleaner-and is in excellent condition BUT I do spin my own wrenches. To get everything safe and reliable I had to dump another $250ish into it and around 18 hours labor. So, unless you like dirty surprises from old, non-running scooters, get a Buddy. Now, if you can get the Jog for under $200, buy it for a toy/project to learn on and enjoy the reliable Buddy as is. Then, if you get the Jog running really good, sell one of the scooters to recover some funds.
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

sc00ter wrote:Oh, Jog price. I forgot. Non-running old Jog, I dont care how mint, $200 MAX. I paid $400 for my Zuma. It did start-with carb cleaner sprayed in the air cleaner-and is in excellent condition BUT I do spin my own wrenches. To get everything safe and reliable I had to dump another $250ish into it and around 18 hours labor. So, unless you like dirty surprises from old, non-running scooters, get a Buddy. Now, if you can get the Jog for under $200, buy it for a toy/project to learn on and enjoy the reliable Buddy as is. Then, if you get the Jog running really good, sell one of the scooters to recover some funds.
What you mentioned in the prior post is why I just decided to get a new Buddy 50. That's a lot of work for someone who doesn't know the first thing about engines (though I am going to learn). The lady wants $500.00 for the thing and that's just way too much imo especially considering that I have no idea what's wrong with it. It could just be gummed carb, but it could be a lot worse and the idea of putting that much money into something that may or may not have been beaten to death is just too big a risk.

I do like the idea of picking up a for parts scooter though and using it to learn on. I may do that as well as pick up some books/read some stuff online so I can get to know my way around mechanically. I'm going to have a two year warranty when I get the Buddy but after that? I'd rather not have to pay 80-100 dollars an hour labor just to flush a carb or replace the brakes.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

if you buy something to fix the best thing you can buy is a cheap ultrasonic cleaner...take the bowl off the carb put some simple green and water in the cleaner and turn the heat on and let it run for a few 8 minute cycles...change the solution as needed...repeat until clean...and by clean i mean it will come out looking brand new

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter- ... 63256.html
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

You might do better going with a used Buddy 125. It won't cost you significantly more than a Buddy 50 and will go up to an honest 55-60+ MPH. I love my Buddy 50 (and Black Cat 50) but would trade the Buddy 50 for a 125 any day of the week. Riding a 50 cc scooter is serious fun but riding it on 45 MPH roads with cars isn't fun most of the time; rather, it is kind of scary and you tend to tick off cagers. The 125 is the same form factor as the 50 and has a wayyyyy more durable engine.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I ride my Zuma 16 miles each way to work. It only goes 38 mph max. Bit faster if I have a tail wind. I just pay attention and take a slightly longer route to avoid the worst of the traffic. Have never had a close call, just the occasional goof balls laughing at me from their big dumb trucks. I also wear a Icon green vest and bright yellow (or white) helmet. Just pay attention to your surroundings and stay visible.
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

cummingsjc wrote:You might do better going with a used Buddy 125. It won't cost you significantly more than a Buddy 50 and will go up to an honest 55-60+ MPH. I love my Buddy 50 (and Black Cat 50) but would trade the Buddy 50 for a 125 any day of the week. Riding a 50 cc scooter is serious fun but riding it on 45 MPH roads with cars isn't fun most of the time; rather, it is kind of scary and you tend to tick off cagers. The 125 is the same form factor as the 50 and has a wayyyyy more durable engine.
A new 125 was just a wee bit out of my price range and I wasn't looking for a used scooter. The power would have been nice but I'm not a big fan of 4-strokes for one thing and also, most of the roads I take are 20-35mph so the 45mph Buddy gets the job done.

I might upgrade one day if I feel I need to but right now, I think the 50 will be all I need.
sc00ter wrote:I ride my Zuma 16 miles each way to work. It only goes 38 mph max. Bit faster if I have a tail wind. I just pay attention and take a slightly longer route to avoid the worst of the traffic. Have never had a close call, just the occasional goof balls laughing at me from their big dumb trucks. I also wear a Icon green vest and bright yellow (or white) helmet. Just pay attention to your surroundings and stay visible.
Geez, sounds like you live in a rough area lol. I haven't been hassled myself. Of course, I barely ever even get on 45mph roads so, that may be partially why. The only time I ever remember making anyone angry was when I passed an old couple who were doing 15mph on a 25mph road. The old man was rolling down his window as I passed and shaking his fist in comedic fashion. It was quite hilarious haha.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

the nice thing about a 50cc is not having to register as a motorcycle...at least here it's that way...also could always blow it up to a 70cc...when i was deciding between 50cc and bigger i decided bigger was more fun as well as keep me in traffic vs being a speed bump for someone texting
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I used to ride year round, and when I first started my job (been there 21 years now) I never drove. What made it worse is I had a 50cc, so everyone assumed I had a DUI! If I did have to drive for whatever reason I was stuck in a 1960 Impala with hydraulics. That car was a piece of junk, and I now drive Subaru's-bone stock and dependable. So if I feel frisky, I take the Zuma. Takes me back to simpler times.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Also check out the Roughhouse 50. Love mine.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Point37 wrote:the nice thing about a 50cc is not having to register as a motorcycle...at least here it's that way...
I don't really think that is much of an advantage, if it is a justification to avoid rider training and liability insurance. Ride what you like, but ride it safely and don't expose yourself to financially damaging lawsuits.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dooglas wrote:For someone who doesn't intend to do his own mechanical work, I'd say a 25 year old scooter with unknown reliability problems is a bad choice. The Buddy 50 is a good performer. Go with it, and have fun.
Agree. Also be sure to check parts availability.

Yamaha is notorious for discontinuing parts. A few months ago I found what is probably the last NOS OEM belt for my 1990 Riva 200. I have also bought used belts on ebay to stock up. Carb, clutch, and variator are also no longer available.

Get the Buddy. You can just start riding it and you have the piece of mind with a warranty. Also parts are readily available.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dooglas wrote:
Point37 wrote:the nice thing about a 50cc is not having to register as a motorcycle...at least here it's that way...
I don't really think that is much of an advantage, if it is a justification to avoid rider training and liability insurance. Ride what you like, but ride it safely and don't expose yourself to financially damaging lawsuits.

Agree. MSF course is good for everyone.

That being said for many people a 50cc is just right. I have a friend with over 20K miles on a Kymco People 50. He still loves it and rides everywhere!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Point37

Post by Point37 »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Dooglas wrote:

Agree. MSF course is good for everyone.

That being said for many people a 50cc is just right. I have a friend with over 20K miles on a Kymco People 50. He still loves it and rides everywhere!
i took the msf beginner course when i got a motorcycle cause...

1. you get to beat on someone else's bike which is fun
2. you get a new license mailed to you with your motorcycle designation on it so you can avoid having to go the rmv and waiting
3. you get an insurance discount
4. you learn a few good techniques that you didn't even know you were doing like countersteering but you don't learn a ton of new info

#1 alone was enough for me to take the class...but i had ridden a moped when i had my learners permit before taking the msf course...for my age and financial situation at the time it was great, just a registration sticker, no insurance, no excise tax...i think msf probably helps when you're riding what's considered a motorcycle (50cc+ here) in traffic but i wouldn't say it's really necessary for a < 50cc that's ridden on the side of the road depending on where you live...i mean you're riding it like a bicycle on the side of the road and have to obey most of the same laws as a bicycle, you're just going a little faster with less effort and have to wear a helmet and glasses (at least here)
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

sc00ter wrote:I used to ride year round, and when I first started my job (been there 21 years now) I never drove. What made it worse is I had a 50cc, so everyone assumed I had a DUI! If I did have to drive for whatever reason I was stuck in a 1960 Impala with hydraulics. That car was a piece of junk, and I now drive Subaru's-bone stock and dependable. So if I feel frisky, I take the Zuma. Takes me back to simpler times.
See, that's a good point too. We have a new car (my fiancé and I) and I'm on the insurance. We were both using it but I work from home and she is a teacher so, there was a need for a second vehicle. I had the cash to either buy a junky used car that had been owned by god knows how many people and had been in god knows how many wrecks... well, you get the picture. Or, I could get a brand new unrestricted Buddy 50, pay 26 dollars a month for full coverage insurance and have the whole thing get 60-80 miles to a gallon.

For me? The choice was obvious lol. Plus, again, who the heck would rather drive a car instead of a scooter? These things are so much fun, I'd personally never use a car again if I didn't have to lol.