How should bike behave during cold start?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootbwh

How should bike behave during cold start?

Post by scootbwh »

During a cold start, should the scooter (Buddy 50) rev higher than normal (3500ish RPM's) and then settle into normal 2000rpm range? Or, should it struggle to keep started (lights flicker, etc) and gradually work its way up to 2000rpms?
dan v.

Post by dan v. »

What they should do and what they do is at odds sometimes. As a background - I have five 2t scoots of different makes and models. They all have "personalities".

You have to learn what they like when cold starting and warm starting. Some I have to crack the throttle when starting, some you better not touch it. Some will rev high, some will slowly build up to the high idle. To say what is a "normal" cold start, we would agree that the engine revs high enough to spin the back wheel - that is why you always start on the center stand.

The choke or more correctly the "auto bystarter" is electrically operated - it heats a wax that expands to close off the start circuit on the carb. Ambient temps can affect it, and to put it bluntly they sometimes don't work well at all. I have manual chokes on all my 2ts, for that reason. I usually try to start cold w/o using the choke - they usually fire up right away. If not, it gets choked. I have one that always starts cold, but needs the choke to start when hot - go figure?

Try kick starting vs start button also. I think that kicking spins the flywheel faster and it puts out more elec power. Shouldn't be - but some scoots like it better.

I know, this post may be TLDR. Bottom line is you will find the way each scoot likes it - throttle or not, high rev or not, smoke alot or not, but if after warming up (a few blocks riding) they run well, then all is good.

BTW - reading about your tweaking the a/f and idle speed - make sure that the scoot is well warmed up. Don't be surprised that if you think you have it it dialed in that it acts different the next day.

Good luck, and welcome to 2 stroke fun.
Nintari

Re: How should bike behave during cold start?

Post by Nintari »

scootbwh wrote:During a cold start, should the scooter (Buddy 50) rev higher than normal (3500ish RPM's) and then settle into normal 2000rpm range? Or, should it struggle to keep started (lights flicker, etc) and gradually work its way up to 2000rpms?
I have a Buddy 50 and have started/run it in 30 degree weather. The two things that mine does differently is in cold weather, I have to give it a little gas while I'm pushing the electric ignition. It also has a tendency to rev high right away but that it remedied by just taking off and getting onto the road.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else.
scootbwh

Post by scootbwh »

Thanks. Its pretty crazy to have 2 identical scooters and yet they behave differently.... or that a scooter behaves one way at certain sea level, yet the a/f mix screw is blocked off for easy adjustment which seems to be necessary at elevation.

I'll have to play with these adjustments some more and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the input!