Just bought 2009 Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike1nw

Just bought 2009 Buddy 125

Post by Mike1nw »

Hello from Lower Alabama!

Just bought a 2009 Buddy 125. Well, the wife bought it :wink:
I ride a Burgman 400 and she thought it is too heavy for her. Hence, the sea-foam-green Buddy.

I test rode it- only 314 miles! It seems to bog at WOT and doesn't go fast IMO.

So I'm thinking, carb full of cheapo gelled gasoline? Heck, 314 miles in 9 years, that's only 3 tanks of gas?

Once we get it home, I will tear into it. Planning to change engine oil, gearbox oil, adjust valves, check drive belt and variator, and R&R carb. Etc.

For sure, will post tons of questions.

Oh- does Dr Pulley make sliders for this thing? I put DP on my Burgman and they did wonders :D

Also, does thing have a choke? Feels like the choke is on...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Just bought 2009 Buddy 125

Post by jrsjr »

Hello From ModernBuddyLand!

Bogging at WOT sounds like a carb issue. It definitely needs a serious cleaning. It needs to be soaked and have all the passages blown out with compressed air, maybe even have the jets replaced. Don't forget to service to service the air filter even though it's low miles. Sometimes folks find strange problems in the airbox of scooters that have been sitting.

It has a mechanism that accomplishes the same function as a chke. It's called a "bystarter." It may be a problem. Modern Buddy member Babblefish is sort of our expert on this thing. He should be along shortly to offer some advice on that. Before you jump to troubleshooting that component, get the carb thoroughly cleaned by somebody who knows what they're doing. That may well sort the problem.

Again, welcome to Modern Buddy. The B125 is a great machine for a beginning rider. I hope your wife loves it. :D
Syd

Post by Syd »

Welcome to Modern Buddy, Mike! Pictures are expected.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Welcome to the forum. With that low of miles, you possibly have the original engine and gear oil. I'd drain out all the old gas. If it looks clear w/out a bunch of garbage in it, refill with mid-grade and ad 2 ounces of B-12 carb cleaner. Change your gear oil and engine oil and filter. Use non-synthetic for now. Ride it around for a bit with the new fuel and B-12. Take it out and open it up so both jets are used. Shut it off, and leave it sit for a couple of days. Don't restart, just let it sit. Vary your throttle and don't go wide open for extended runs for another 600 miles. Be sure and check your tire pressure. These small tires can be 12 lbs low, and still look fine.
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-04-02 at 7.17.04 AM.png
Screenshot 2018-04-02 at 7.17.04 AM.png (103.53 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

Thanks for responses!

1. What is recommended Tire Pressure?
2. I've used Seafoam in other vehicles, will that work?
3. Thinking of using non-ethanol gas, available here as "boat fuel"
4. And, thinking of putting on new tires, despite the low miles... They're 9 years old after all.
5. Oh yeah, changing brake fluid too.

Once I get the Buddy home, and print the service manual (written in Chinglish no less :wink:) I think I'll be OK.

We have a Kia, my 97 high maintenance Saturn, my Burgman, a Pony tractor, a mtn bike, I guess I was running out of things to maintain! :roll:
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Mike1nw wrote:Thanks for responses!

1. What is recommended Tire Pressure?
2. I've used Seafoam in other vehicles, will that work?
3. Thinking of using non-ethanol gas, available here as "boat fuel"
4. And, thinking of putting on new tires, despite the low miles... They're 9 years old after all.
5. Oh yeah, changing brake fluid too.

Once I get the Buddy home, and print the service manual (written in Chinglish no less :wink:) I think I'll be OK.

We have a Kia, my 97 high maintenance Saturn, my Burgman, a Pony tractor, a mtn bike, I guess I was running out of things to maintain! :roll:
22psi front 25psi rear from page 20 of the owners manual...seafoam is fine...i use it in all my small engines...i wouldn't imagine it would hurt a scooter engine...if you have non-ethanol gas available def use it

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic17349.html

https://www.pure-gas.org/
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Look under the seat for the correct tire pressure. I usually run 30 / 30 psi.

Agree with new tires.

Sounds like a restricted main carb jet. I would start by going ghetto and adding a few ounces of seafoam then ride it. You're not even through break in so the motor will be tight and will loosen up with break in.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Remous

Post by Remous »

If it bogs at WOT it might be the rubber gasket seal on the carb. I had that problem myself and thanks to @DeeDee he had the great advice of checking to make sure it was sealed correctly the whole way around. Mine had one little opening and was letting too much air in.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

1) If you have a gunked up jet, Chemtool is more aggressive, and will do a better job of cleaning it than seafoam.
2). If the carb has not been messed with, it is unlikely to be the Vacuum slide diaphragm.
3) if you run the scooter with fresh gas mixed with B-12 and shut it off for 2 days, it gives the Jets a chance to soak.
4) if your tires hold air, and there is no visible cracking, you are pissing away your money replacing them.
5) Modern engines are designed to run on 10% mtbe. Millions of miles a year are put on PGO scooters running on nothing but ethanol treated gas with no problems.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

BuddyRaton wrote:Look under the seat for the correct tire pressure. I usually run 30 / 30 psi.
I also run 30 / 30 psi.

22 psi front 25 psi rear sounds kind of scary!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Flushing and bleeding the brake line on a 9 year old scooter is a good idea. Bjy the smallest bottle you can find. It takes 2 full shot glasses worth. It's easy to do it by yourself. The back brake pads seem to last forever. I always give them a good cleaning when changing the rear tire.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Point37 wrote:And, thinking of putting on new tires, despite the low miles... They're 9 years old after all.
I agree. Tire shops generally won't work on tires over 7 years old for liability reasons. Given that scooters only have 2 wheels and your wife is riding this one, I'd think this is one of those times to be careful. (and I do take my own advice BTW - my wife rides a Buddy 125 also :wink: )