Just got my first Buddy.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Nintari

Just got my first Buddy.

Post by Nintari »

Well, it's final. After many weeks of reading and studying up on various scooters, old and new, I made the plunge and got myself a brand new Buddy 50.

My journey started with used scooters. As you may know from reading my other thread, I originally wanted to get my teenage scooter back (90's Yamaha Jog) but after struggling to find one in good condition and within even five hours radius of where I live, and many disappointments, I finally gave up and said the heck with it.

I first had a look at the Zuma line, being that it was a Yamaha scooter. I've always ridden that make. Even when I use to ride dirt bikes, I always rode Yamaha. But when I found out that they no longer made 2-stroke engines and learning about the power drop and maintenance, I decided to pass. Plus, I didn't like what they did with the floor board space. There's just something so restrictive about having a huge lump on the floor imo. It just looked like something I wouldn't want to put up with.

Next, I read up on Honda's... same thing. Another 4-stroke fest. I didn't want that. They may be for some people, but it's not for me.

After that, I started to search for old 2-stroke Zuma's etc. but once I found a few I realized that I don't know the first thing about motors and taking them into the dealership... I couldn't even get a QUOTE unless I took it in and how can I take a used scooter in that isn't even mine?

Just when I was giving up, I stumbled upon Genuine's website and clicked on the Buddy 50. I liked the look of the Titanium model because something about the body, it was very Jog inspired. The price was cheaper than the Zuma line as well which was nice. Then I scrolled down and saw that they were 2-stroke engines and instantly knew that I may have a winner on my hands. I did my home work, checking out Genuine's reputation and seeing what the scooter community thought about them and when I saw that they had a great warranty and a good reputation for being long lasting scooters, I called the dealership and asked about de-striction. As you guys know, I don't see the use in buying a 49cc that can barely hit 30mph on a good day. When the dealer said that they de-restrict them before they even go out on the floor... that was it.

I called him back and told him I could do MSRP cash-in-hand... thinking that I might be able to have those fees waved. Unfortunately, that was no-dice so I conceded and drove to the dealership with a trailer and walked out the owner of a new Buddy 50.

I decided to get the Titanium because I didn't really care for the chrome on the black and white (the only other two colors I like on the Buddy). I like how on the Titanium, the black blends into the scooter. It's really sharp looking.

I took it out today (couldn't help myself) when I got home and had a blast riding it around town even though it was barely 45 degrees. I was bundled up like a dang eskimo and still nearly froze to death. I forgot how cold riding can be on days like that.

I weigh about 149 pounds and dealer de-restricted, the needle hit 45mph on flat ground. I didn't keep the throttle open for any longer than that because I know it's not good to keep it open for long periods of time when it's a new scooter but I was surprised at just how zippy it was. It really reminds me of the Jog and I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Well, that's about all I have to say. It feels good to be a scooter owner again and I can't wait for warmer weather. Hopefully that's sooner rather than later. Spring takes a long time here in Chicago lol.
Attachments
IMG_0500.jpg
IMG_0500.jpg (162.91 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Congrats on a beautiful scoot. Welcome aboard.

I suggest taking this opportunity to begin to learn how to work on your own scooter. It's never a bad thing to know how it ticks and how to keep it ticking.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Nice! Good choice! The only other 2 stroke scooters are Adly. I had one. Nice scooter but the overall quality was a 6 or 7 compared to Genuines 10. Again, Adly's are ok but I would pick a Buddy or RH50 instead.
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

k1dude wrote:Congrats on a beautiful scoot. Welcome aboard.

I suggest taking this opportunity to begin to learn how to work on your own scooter. It's never a bad thing to know how it ticks and how to keep it ticking.
Thanks! Glad to be a part of the Genuine team.

I plan to, but not on my new Buddy. I plan to pick up a cheap scooter on Craigslist for pennies that needs work and tinker around on that first. Once I learn my way around and feel totally comfortable, I'll start to think about my Buddy. But that sweet two year warranty kind of makes it unnecessary for awhile.
sc00ter wrote:Nice! Good choice! The only other 2 stroke scooters are Adly. I had one. Nice scooter but the overall quality was a 6 or 7 compared to Genuines 10. Again, Adly's are ok but I would pick a Buddy or RH50 instead.
Yes! All hail the mighty 2-stroke. It's a shame most of the manufactures are moving away from them. I know 4-strokes have some positives to them but there should at least be optional models for those of us who want the 2-stroke goodness.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

That titanium color is awesome. Very sharp looking scoot. Congratulations. And welcome to the fold. Glad our community could be of assistance.

All standard warnings and advice apply.

Happy Scootering!!! :D
Point37

Post by Point37 »

sharpest color combo in my opinion...congrats!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Nintari, I just went in the garage and realized I have a Jog! It was purchased for parts, and my friend was gonna toss the frame/fork and panels. I saved them because its the version with the built in basket on the front. Some of the plastics are trashed but its complete(ish). Now you got me wanting to rescue it and put it on the road! Wish I knew how to post pictures. Its the same as the red one posted in the Jog section on Motor Scooter News, just much rougher condition.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Very nice! Be sure to be gentle on it for the first few hundred miles, and don't skip that first 500 mile service, they are serious about that when it comes to warranty coverage later on, which, btw, tends to be excellent. (Referencing a post I saw a while back where they replaced a whole engine at no cost to a hapless 170 owner).
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Nice write-up! Welcome to the Buddy Club. Ride safe and enjoy your scoot.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Slick looking scooter! You have the right idea about breaking it in.

As Hot Rod Al...who has done extensive machining on some of my 2T motors...

"Break it in like a dog it will run like a dog, treat it like a lady during a break in it will love you forever!"

It will loosen up as you ride. I suggest using dino 2T oil for at least the first 500 miles, then change over to full synthetic and that motor will purr!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

sc00ter wrote:Nintari, I just went in the garage and realized I have a Jog! It was purchased for parts, and my friend was gonna toss the frame/fork and panels. I saved them because its the version with the built in basket on the front. Some of the plastics are trashed but its complete(ish). Now you got me wanting to rescue it and put it on the road! Wish I knew how to post pictures. Its the same as the red one posted in the Jog section on Motor Scooter News, just much rougher condition.
They're in high demand if you can get them up and running smoothly. Those things were insanely fast, even stock. I mean, think about it. You've got a 140 pound scoot with an unrestricted 49cc engine. lol

Definitely worth the time to fix up imo.
Stanza wrote:Very nice! Be sure to be gentle on it for the first few hundred miles, and don't skip that first 500 mile service, they are serious about that when it comes to warranty coverage later on, which, btw, tends to be excellent. (Referencing a post I saw a while back where they replaced a whole engine at no cost to a hapless 170 owner).
Is that first service covered by the warranty?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I have a very fast motor from a bug-eye Zuma laying on the garage floor. I also have a Jog frame with most of the panels and a set of forks from a bug-eye that need to be ground down to fit the Jog frame. Jeez, sounds like I have a rat scoot waiting to happen. I have been trying to clean out the garage but no one wants to try their hand with tuning/tuned 2 strokes. So I guess if my buyer flakes out again (made him a killer deal on the whole lot) I may as well start wrenching. I wish my Jog could be brought back from the dead in original form, but its to far gone at this point.
Point37

Post by Point37 »