Won't go over 35 mph FIXED!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike1nw

Won't go over 35 mph FIXED!

Post by Mike1nw »

2009 Buddy 125
After taking carb apart to clean- it was spotless inside- still couldn't get it over 35... should have figured it was something else.

Today I R&R again, figured out it was the DIAPHRAGM not seating in the groove.
A few more tries and some grease, now the bike screams! WOW. :D

I should have figured this out before, the slide had no resistance = leaking diaphragm.

Weird, it had only 314 miles and the PO thought it was the dirty carb, she said it wouldn't go over 35 on the level, I wonder if it was like that from the factory?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Maybe not from the factory, but could easily have happened at the dealership. How long did it sit on the showroom floor? Did it need a carb clean before going out the door? Did that carb clean involve a tech derping on reassembly and not sealing the diaphragm properly? Lots of what-ifs there. Still, glad you got it figured out. the 125 is a great bike, and they tend to age very well compared to other brands with similarly sized engines
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Previous owner might have removed that cover to try and troubleshoot it himself. Darn diaphragm can look perfectly seated, but still leak air. Two cases of seafoam would not have fixed this. Good job.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I had the same issue with my Blur a while back. Even replacing the muffler bearing didn't fix it. Took forever to figure it out. Congrats on finding the problem.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.