Buddy 50 vs Roughhouse 50: Long Distance Riding?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The top speed on the stock Roughhouse was equal to my C3, but the take off and acceleration where no where close. The variator, airbox, clutch and belt upgrades on my Yamaha were no match for the stock RH.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

I got a response from Genuine about the "Carb Warranty" and other things on the invoice. They are great. Here it is...

I would agree that’s odd that they are providing fuel treatment on a brand new bike, unless they provided you with the actual bottle to use at a later date. For reference, this is the treatment product that they appear to have included on the invoice. If they were putting it into the tank of a brand new bike, I would raise an eyebrow.

As for the “carb clean� warranty, the default warranty that we offer does not cover carburetor cleaning. This is considered a routine maintenance. If they are offering a coverage that includes carburetor service as needed, then it sounds like they are going above and beyond for their customers. The focus on Ethanol free gas on their part is, I’m guessing, to do with shelf life and component degradation. The regular pump gas, which includes 10% ethanol, typically has a shelf/tank life of only a month or two before it starts to degrade, and can start plugging up the carburetor. For your average daily/weekly rider, that should never be an issue.

Ethanol free, on the other hand, will keep for several months (general consensus is about 5-6 months) before it starts to degrade, thus reducing the likelihood of problems for riders that are going weeks on end between rides. Hope this clears things up a bit, but definitely don’t hesitate to reach out if you have further questions.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

DeeDee wrote:Depends on how long you plan to own it, and how many miles you will put on it per year. Yamaha has been refining the Zuma drivetrain since 2007. The Zuma 50 will get 115 mpg and the engine will last 40,000 miles with routine maintenance. Parts are easy to get and service is widespread if you can not work on it yourself. Being fuel injected and watercooled, the Zuma can go for extended periods wide open. I've owned two of the XF50 drivetrains in C3s. My cureent scooter is about to hit 22,000 miles. The only thing I have had to replace other than routine maintenance was a coolant sensor at 19,000. It caused the temperature warning light to come on. I pretty much follow Yamaha's maintenance schedule w/ the exception of valve adjustments. I've yet to check them. I've done air intake and CVT mods to de-restrict it. It will pull an honest 45 on long straights, and take hills at 35 that I used to drop down to 18mph before the mods. I traded the last one when it hit 20,000. The new owner is still riding it. Yamaha makes an amazing robust scooter. I owned a RH50 for a while. Good scooter, but no Yamaha.
When did the Zuma 50 go to 4T and fuel injection? What's the approximate weight of a Zuma 50? TIA,

Bill in Seattle
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

2012 200 lbs.