Gear Oil Change Concerns

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Simo4181

Gear Oil Change Concerns

Post by Simo4181 »

Greetings Genuine friends! I recently purchased a used Buddy 170i with 1600 miles on it and the owner didn't really know when it was last serviced or what was even serviced...so...being the newbie, I took it to my nearest cycle shop (Genuine dealer is 2 hours away and don't have time to drive there/back).

They took care of things and changed the gear oil for me for $25. I didn't think anything about it until I got home and read the receipt...they put in 80w90 Maxima GL-5 Gear Oil. I have been combing through the threads and most people are saying to get away from this and to move to 85w140.

What should I do? Purchase the 85w140, a syringe, and do it myself or run it with the 80w90 until the next change? I want the scooter to last a long time and I'm in southern Georgia where the weather can get into the 90's throughout most of the summer.

Thanks for your help and advice!
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

Probably wouldn't hurt to leave it in, although changing it is simple.

You can buy gear oil from Walmart, it's in a quart jug with a nozzle at the top.

Mark a line where 90cc would be, drain out the old when the bike is hot, put in 90cc of new.

The quart jug should last nearly the life of the bike :D

I wish the bike had a "fill until it runs out of the hole" feature though.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I use a Mix Mizer for mixing 2 stroke oil. Can find them at Wal-Fart. Makes filling transmission cases so easy. I also have ran everything from 10-40 synthetic oil to that weird, smelly gear oil. It's late and I forgot what the weight is, but I have had it forever.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Leave it in unless you do a lot of fast highway driving. The 140 is only better if the final drive is going to get really hot