Already Broken

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tiltyourhead

Already Broken

Post by tiltyourhead »

So last Friday I bought a new (2006) Buddy 125. We've had some rain here the last few days so today was the first nice day that I could pick it up. I was all excited this morning knowing that I'd be able to bring my Buddy home today.

I picked it up and the ride home was nice, but the wind was blowing which made a bit chilly. None the less, it was a nice first ride. When I parked it at my house I noticed a liquid dripping from the where the air filter is located. After calling the dealer I guess there is some sort of stuck valve. He is going to swing by my home shortly to take a look at it and try to fix it.

Has anyone else had any problems like this? This Buddy is an '06 with only 3 miles on it. It has been sitting for some time. Are there other problems that might pop up?

Thanks!
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I know how it must really suck that your new scoot is giving you problems out of the gate. Hopefully your dealer can take care of it at your house. Just the thought of them stopping by your place says a lot about them wanting to make you happy.

If you read on the board you will notice that most everyone is having a great experience with the Buddy, so I would not worry that something else might "pop-up".

I do remember recently someone posting something about liquid coming from the air-filter, though.

It is probably related to just sitting by itself waiting for a buyer and now it is giving you a little attitude for taking so long to buy him/her/it :D

EDIT: and I forgot, but CONGRATULATIONS ! ! ! ! !
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

What's the liquid? Water... Gas... oily stuff? That could tell you a lot about where to look.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

On the Honda Reflex scooter, and on some MCs, I know that if you over fill the oil you can end up with an oily mess in the air filter compartment...
Don't know if this is also true for the Buddy or not?
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
tiltyourhead

It's Gas

Post by tiltyourhead »

The liquid is that is draining is gas. The dealer said that there is probably a stick valve. I took off the cover to the air filter and then removed the filter. There is a hole where gas is emptying from, however I saw no valve. I didn't really know what I was looking for so I stopped there and put it back to gether.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: It's Gas

Post by illnoise »

tiltyourhead wrote:The liquid is that is draining is gas. The dealer said that there is probably a stick valve. I took off the cover to the air filter and then removed the filter. There is a hole where gas is emptying from, however I saw no valve. I didn't really know what I was looking for so I stopped there and put it back to gether.
Maybe not an engine valve, sounds like the carb float/needle is sticking and allowing gas to flow straight through the carb, and it's flooding the engine and draining through the filter. Easy fix, and a common result of letting it sit for a long time.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
tiltyourhead

easy fix

Post by tiltyourhead »

So, what's this easy fix. You can post it here or send me an e-mail or PM.

Thanks!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: easy fix

Post by illnoise »

tiltyourhead wrote:So, what's this easy fix.
Well, it's easy by scooter mechanic standards, which means it's just barely within my skill set after goofing with scooters for 12 years…

I thought they were coming out to do it. Let them fix it, that's why you have a warranty!

Basically, the carb just needs to be cleaned out. It can be done half-a**ed without taking the carb off, but the preferable way is to remove it and disassemble it, giving it a soak in carb cleaner, then cleaning out all the jets and passages with aerosol carb cleaner. Then reassembling it with a new gasket and replacing the float needle, if needed, and reinstalling it without shearing or stripping any of the bolts or warping the carb body by not tightening the mounting bolts gradually and evenly. That's what a scooter mechanic calls "easy," so let them do it, ha.

And again, I have no way of knowing if that's the problem. If you're sure he said "stuck valve" then it's probably something totally different. I'm just a hypothetical office-chair mechanic, and I've never even worked on a Buddy.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
ysofisonly50?

Post by ysofisonly50? »

jmazza wrote:Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
me no spek eenglesh, senior mazza.. no comprendo.. escusamente por favor. :P
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

jmazza wrote:Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
Hey Fletch! Quit pulling the guy's leg... :P
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

My car just hit a water buffalo :shock: If you topped off the gas tank the dripping liquid could be coming out of your evap canister. It's supposed to trap fumes from the top of your gastank, when you top off some gas can spill down that line and eventually work it's way through the canister and you get a drip.
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

I wouldn't worry about it, your dealer seems to be a good one. Sounds like an easy fix, probably ten or fifteen minutes in the shop and you'll be good to go. Congrats, you'll be scooting in no time!

Wait a minute, is this Rick? He'll treat you right.
twharton

Post by twharton »

Here's a link to step you through it. Very easy.

It is technically a valve but all you have to do is re-connect the line to the retroencabulator. I know it sounds complicated but it's literally plug it in and you will be scooting! 8)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ya2huA-VDfw&feature=related

This has logically evolved into the turboencabulator in more advanced motors...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lVZ8Ko-nss4&feature=related

and here is a service training video for the turbo version.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pbVY5teBzlg&feature=related

You are welcome in advance.

As an interesting note this simple technology led to the Heisenberg Compensator which is the breakthrough technology for the transporter system. Very Star Trek stuff. What a cool world we live in. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HVPlqPPPRS4
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
tiltyourhead

Thanks!

Post by tiltyourhead »

Thanks for eveyones help. Rick, the owner of Zoot Scoots, stopped by and in about a half hour got my Buddy running. Turns out the valve in the carb was stuck and there was some gunk in one of the jets.

If you anyone is in the Columbus, OH area and is looking into scooters you need to go see Rick at Zoot Scoots. I have never had the owner of a company come to my home to fix a problem before. All I can say is these guys at Zoot Scoots are amazing.

Thanks again everyone.
Buddy_wannabe

Re: It's Gas

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

illnoise wrote:Maybe not an engine valve, sounds like the carb float/needle is sticking and allowing gas to flow straight through the carb, and it's flooding the engine and draining through the filter. Easy fix, and a common result of letting it sit for a long time.

Bb.
What illnoise said .... freind had a TGB that did that right after he got it.
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

All I can say is these guys at Zoot Scoots are amazing
I'd say. That is great service and a smart dealer. We all know that first impression lasts for a long time and they sure made a good one with your first problem. :D :D :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
louie

Post by louie »

EP_scoot wrote:
All I can say is these guys at Zoot Scoots are amazing
I'd say. That is great service and a smart dealer. We all know that first impression lasts for a long time and they sure made a good one with your first problem. :D :D :D
let's here it for a brand new breed of transportation dealer :!:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Rick is a cool guy for sure.

Again, (had to say this on another thread) be careful with the jokes, it's confusing to newbies and people that haven't seen Fletch sixteen times. (that movie is 23 years old already!?)

Thanks!

Bryan