Electric "choke"

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike1nw

Electric "choke"

Post by Mike1nw »

2009 Buddy 125

Is it possible to disable the "choke", or whatever it is that keeps the idle speed up for a while?

Down here in Lower Alabama, it is getting warm, it seems that idling for a minute or so in the morning would be sufficient.

My poor wife has trouble pushing it off the stand, and the rear wheel is spinning quite fast while it is on its fast idle.

Thanks
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Seems like the rear wheel shouldn't be spinning fast at idle, even before it idles down a bit. I would try turning the idle screw down. My back wheel rotates very slowly even when the scoot is just started.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Pull the rear brake lever before taking the scooter off the centerstand.

Or she could take the scooter off the centerstand then start it. If you are using the scooter on a regular basis you don't have to warm it before you ride, I hardly ever warm my scooter up.

As for the "choke" if you want to try running the scooter with it disabled just unplug it.

EDIT: Did some testing and just unplugging the "choke" won't help. The scooter will stay on the high idle for a long time. I didn't bother testing to see if the engine would get warm enough to shut the choke off.
Last edited by scootERIK on Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

scootERIK wrote: As for the "choke" if you want to try running the scooter with it disabled just unplug it.
If the chokes electrical connector is unplugged, I believe the choke will then be always ON because there is no longer any electrical power to heat up the thermo element which closes off the enrichment port when it reaches a certain temperature.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Start it up, hold the brake, and roll it off the stand. The rear wheel won't be spinning if you hold the rear brake.

Disabling that would be troublesome. When the engine is off, the choke valve is open by default. When you start the bike, the choke starts to heat up, which expands a wax plunger, closing off the choke passage on the carb, and setting the carb to normal functionality. You'd need to find a way to force the choke to maintain a closed position at all times. Strong coffee would be required.
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

OK

Yes I will try to get her to start the bike while it is off the CS. With her sitting on it.
This bike doesn't have a side stand switch to kill the engine, so I will try to educate her (a new rider) as we don't want it to take off across the garage :(

I have set the idle screw for hot operation. When "cold", it revs fast for a few minutes.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

scootERIK wrote:Or she could take the scooter off the centerstand then start it. If you are using the scooter on a regular basis you don't have to warm it before you ride, I hardly ever warm my scooter up.
BINGO. In warmer weather, a scooter does not need to be "warmed up" anyway. Advise her to take the scooter off the stand, get on, start it, and ride off.