I'd like one of these, please...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

babblefish

I'd like one of these, please...

Post by babblefish »

I like riding 2-wheeled electric "kick" type scooters around the city from time to time. My last one (before it was stolen :() had front/rear suspension, disk brakes, and modded with LiIon batteries and an upgraded speed control. It used a brushed motor rated at around 1200W. It was OK, but didn't do too well on steep hills. Had a range of about 25 miles and a top speed of 20 mph.
While looking for a replacement, I ran across this beast on AliExpress:

Website: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-Mi ... e071&tpp=1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xfIATTYXwQY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This thing is insane! I know how squirrelly these things can get at speed so the guy in the video is either very brave or insane. Or both. I'd love to get one of these things but at (sigh) US$3300, I'll have to wait until I win a lottery or something.

Some specs (edited for easier reading with some corrections):
Battery capacity: 60V35 Ah (2,072 Wh)
Samsung cell 18650
​Battery: Samsung Battery
Maximum speed: 75 - 90 km / h (approx 46 - 55 mph)
Range: 80-120km (49-74 mi) for 75kg rider on flat road with level 1 speed.
Angle of lift (grade angle capability): 35 degrees (70% grade)
Max loading: 150kg (330 lb, combined)
Motor power (brushless hub): 5400 W (two motors of 2700w each) (740W = 1 HP, basically about the same total HP as a Buddy 125)
Diameter of wheels: 11 inches
Width of tires: 90mm
Length: 1235 mm
Weight: about 37 kg (81.5 lb) net weight
Regenerative braking on both wheels
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

That was a fun video. Thanks for posting it, Babblefish. What can it feel like l to go 50 mph down the highway on it, let alone with no gear on? I notice the wheels are slightly larger than the Buddy's. It's got zip and you really could get around town on it pretty well, if it is legal on street roads. What a contrast to the big pickups, SUVs, etc.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Segway makes something similar that sells for $299. IIRC, it only has 8" wheels , has a speed of 13 mph, and a range of 16 miles. But it's probably a lot safer than doing 50 on the AliExpress scooter.

Also, $299 from a respected brand is a lot more palatable than $3,000 for a no-name that will have major problems with the DMV and law enforcement.

The Segway is also foldable and lightweight (25 pounds).
Last edited by k1dude on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ucandoit wrote:That was a fun video. Thanks for posting it, Babblefish. What can it feel like l to go 50 mph down the highway on it, let alone with no gear on? I notice the wheels are slightly larger than the Buddy's. It's got zip and you really could get around town on it pretty well, if it is legal on street roads. What a contrast to the big pickups, SUVs, etc.
Glad you enjoyed it. The wheels are actually smaller than those on the Buddy. The 10" diameter referenced for the Buddy is the OD of the wheel itself while the 11" for the electric scooter is the OD of the tire.
I don't know what the legality is for electric scooters here in SF, but I don't really care. That being said, I do respect others: pedestrians, bicyclists, cars, etc when I ride. As an example, when riding on sidewalks is unavoidable, I don't go blasting through the crowd, rather I ride at a walking pace and if theres too many people, I get off and walk the scooter. I also don't park it where it blocks anyone or entryways. There are currently three companies operating in SF that offer these types scooters for rent much like bicycle rentals. Unfortunately there are too many selfish and inconsiderate idiots who are abusing their use by blasting through crowded sidewalks and parking/leaving the scooters anywhere they want with no consideration to other people. This is giving these scooters a bad reputation and is driving the city government to take a hard look at the situation and pass regulatory laws which may dampen the use of this mode of transportation.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

That is insanely powerful for a standup scooter. I don't think the price is out of line for that level of performance.
-One thing I didn't see in the specs above was BRAKES. I hope it has really good ones with hefty rotors.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

wheelbender6 wrote:That is insanely powerful for a standup scooter. I don't think the price is out of line for that level of performance.
-One thing I didn't see in the specs above was BRAKES. I hope it has really good ones with hefty rotors.
It has mechanical (boo) disk brakes front and rear plus regenerative motor braking.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Regen braking can provide a lot braking power, depending on how it is set up. It won't completely stop you, but it will really slow you down.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Oh dang! Just found out theres a store here in SF that sells these Dualtron Ultras for $3100. Guess I'll go check one out, just for educational purposes you understand...

Lots of YouTube videos on these things too.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

babblefish wrote:Oh dang! Just found out theres a store here in SF that sells these Dualtron Ultras for $3100. Guess I'll go check one out, just for educational purposes you understand...
You Leftcoasters... :roll:
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.