tachometer

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike1nw

tachometer

Post by Mike1nw »

Is there such a thing as a tachometer for these scooters?

I have a digital tach (infra red, I think) that I can use if the case cover is off the bike. But it needs to be aimed at a rotating part to register. I was thinking of one wired into the bike

2009 Buddy 125 8)
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

We use the analog Stage 6 tach's. I just gave the last one away I had sitting around the garage. We mount them on the windshield post. Looks good, glows a lovely blue. For tuning, I use a STIHL inductive tach that can be changed from 2 stroke to 4 stroke. Bought it at a yard sale in a lot deal of small engine tools. Velcro it were you need it.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

If you go electronic, you can use one of those cheap inductive tachs that has a lead you wrap around the spark plug wire. Or you can try to pick the 12V pulse off the CDI lead that triggers the coil and use a regular electronic tach.

But remember, many scooters use wasted spark ignition (and I believe the Buddy is one of them), generating one "spark" per revolution, not every other revolution. So, you need a tach that can be set for single-cylinder two-stroke mode.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The Blur has a tach. There are three wires related to the tach; +12V from the main switch, ground, and input pulse. The input pulse wire is connected to the red wire that goes from the CDI unit to the ignition coil.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

My Stella has a Trail Tech RPM indicator. The lead wraps around the spark plug wire.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.