???'s about belt & roller replacements

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kmrcstintn

???'s about belt & roller replacements

Post by kmrcstintn »

a few ???'s about replacement belt & rollers for the cvt...

what is a good reliable belt to consider? what weight rollers are OEM for a 2013 Buddy 125? read that dropping weight of rollers by 1 gram offers a few MPH speed increase on the top end...true or trash? thanks...
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Stock size is 11g, 18x14mm

Dropping down a gram will get you faster acceleration, because the engine will rev a bit higher in relation to your actual speed. But as for top end gains? Not really. That being said, going to a performance variator with a steeper ramp plate might get you some top end. Same could be said for a better exhaust, head, kit, etc etc etc.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

This the belt you want. Good eBay seller. Also carries Dr. Pulley sliders:

743x20x30

https://www.ebay.com/itm/fits-Eton-E-To ... 362dea3410
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

I just wanted to say- the belt for my Burgman 400 cost $165. on line. OK, it's bigger than Buddy's belt, but not THAT much bigger. Sheesh.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I went with a Dr. Pulley variator and 12g sliders and was very disappointed.

I lost both acceleration and top end.

I still had very good performance with my stock rollers, but they had 13,000+ miles on them. So I figured it was time to change them. When I changed out the original rollers at 13,676 miles, 4 weighed 10 grams and 2 weighed 11 grams.

If I had to do it over again, I'd just replace the rollers with the same as stock weight or I'd try 11g sliders.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

You want to order an OEM belt either through a dealer or one of the online vendors. I've seen intact Buddy belts with over 20K on them. That's what you want
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

My stock Bando belt blew apart at 13,676 miles.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I think the longevity of the drive train parts depends a lot on the weight of the rider, not saying anyone here is fat or anything...

I'm not very big so my weight is normal for me... :P

I replaced the Bando belt in my Blur after riding the snot out of it for at least ten years. It wasn't shredding yet but did have a lot of cracks so I replaced it just for peace of mind. I bought the replacement Bando from the same vendor that DeeDee mentioned. Been buying from him for years, good seller.

I bought some 14g sliders for my Blur to try out because the engine revs up really fast from a dead stop. The reason is because my engine has a +4 stroker crank along with a larger bore so it makes more torque than stock.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I use a gates pl30707. Has over 3 seasons on it. Which is a lot for me. 250lbs HA! Usually I get a smell of hot rubber to let me know the belt is slipping after a ride. The stock bando and the gates seem to last and work about the same. A new gates will reduce take off rpm until the belt beds in. Usually a 20 minute ride will have it back to normal.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

[quote="babblefish"]I think the longevity of the drive train parts depends a lot on the weight of the rider, not saying anyone here is fat or anything...

I'm not very big so my weight is normal for me... :P

I replaced the Bando belt in my Blur after riding the snot out of it for at least ten years. It wasn't shredding yet but did have a lot of cracks so I replaced it just for peace of mind. I bought the replacement Bando from the same vendor that DeeDee mentioned. Been buying from him for years, good seller.

I bought some 14g sliders for my Blur to try out because the engine revs up really fast from a dead stop. The reason is because my engine has a +4 stroker crank along with a larger bore so it makes more torque than stock.[/quote]

Longevity depends on age and heat. Belts will heat up and age faster if you normally ride at higher speeds or do long trips.