Time to Hang Up the Keys

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Time to Hang Up the Keys

Post by skipper20 »

It's going to happen to all of you eventually so enjoy those 2 wheels while you can. I just came back from delivering my 3rd and last scooter, my 2012 Buddy 170i, to a local independent MC shop to sell for me on consignment. The first 2 were my 2014 and 2015 Hooligans respectively. Why 3 scooters? One at home in Seattle. One at my summer home on the Olympic peninsula and one at at a friend's house in Tucson where I spend most of the winter. Now, no more. At close to 85 y.o., I no longer have the confidence in my riding ability to keep on with it. So, time to hang up those keys before something bad happens.
I've really enjoyed being on this forum. It's one of the best out there. I've learned a lot these past 6 years and hopefully I've also made some contributions. Wishing all of you the very best,

Bill in Seattle, signing out
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Bill. I don't have many years of scootering left either. It has been fun. I only wish I had started at a way younger age. You're right about appreciating it while we can. That goes for so many things.
Wishing you the best.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Not riding any more is no reason to leave the forum. Stick around - somebody has to keep the runny-nosed newbies from hurting themselves. Most of them don't know which end of a screwdriver to use when driving a nail.

"It's for the children."
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Gotta ask, what is the reason? Lack of balance? Reflexes not as sharp? Weak hand and/or leg strength? Had a fall that you have no idea what caused it? None of our darn business? Anyways, I hope you can find a hobby thats just as fun as scooters. Dont wanna loose your sanity.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Skipper - Much rather see someone stop riding for this reason than to read about their last ride that ended in a bad way! Kudos to you for having to the courage to know when and setting an example to the rest of us as you cross your 85th milestone. Best wishes in all you do.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

What about a 3 wheeler? It takes care of most balance problems. If that's the problem.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I'm sorry you needed to stop riding, skipper. Also glad it wasn't an accident that stopped you!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

You deserve a medal for riding as long as you did. What a run! Hope you find happiness and contentment in your next endeavor, whatever that may be.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

sc00ter wrote:Gotta ask, what is the reason? Lack of balance? Reflexes not as sharp? Weak hand and/or leg strength? Had a fall that you have no idea what caused it? None of our darn business? Anyways, I hope you can find a hobby thats just as fun as scooters. Dont wanna loose your sanity.
All of the above. I delivered the last of my 3 scooters to the MC shop that's consigning them this past Thursday. I thought that it was going to be a sad experience and that I would have difficulty letting go. But as I drove off with the shop in the rear view mirror, I actually had a feeling of relief! So, it was clearly time to hang up the keys.

Bill who is now scooterless in Seattle :)
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

So, what do you have for a hobby? Scooters are a mix of cheap transportation and fun for me, but pinball is our (wife and I) passion. Have no idea why hitting a steel ball around a sheet a plywood is so fun. but we love it! The place we go has around 50 machines at a time plus a few video games. We ride the Burgman to play pinball on nice days. Also go to a bunch of crazy/fun punk, hardcore, metal, grind and weird shows at tiny dive bars. We all know each other like scooters, but what other things do you enjoy?
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I too, vote for you to continue to participate in the forum. You have plenty of memories and experience to share. You will also enjoy keeping up with the dumb things that we do.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I, too, hope you will still follow/participate in the forum, but only, of course, if you want to. Many of us need help figuring out mechanical issues (like my current wiring/electrical woes) and really appreciate the help that experienced mechanics give.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I hate to hear that you are hanging up the keys, but if you think it's time then it's probably time. Feel free to keep posting here as long as you like.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Congrats on all the wonderful times you had riding! You're right...It will happen to all of us! I have already have a scooter for when I stop riding vintage and large bikes (keeping the 1990 Yamaha 200). And I am hoping to make it to when I can no longer ride that.

If you felt good about dropping that last one off then it was the right thing for you to do.

But please do stick around. Just because you stopped riding doesn't mean you don't have your experiences. Besides...you're a nice guy to have around!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

BuddyRaton wrote:Congrats on all the wonderful times you had riding! You're right...It will happen to all of us! I have already have a scooter for when I stop riding vintage and large bikes (keeping the 1990 Yamaha 200). And I am hoping to make it to when I can no longer ride that.

If you felt good about dropping that last one off then it was the right thing for you to do.

But please do stick around. Just because you stopped riding doesn't mean you don't have your experiences. Besides...you're a nice guy to have around!
Thanks for your endorsement and the rest of you who have said equally kind things. OK, from now on consider me a "Member Emeritus"!

Bill in Seattle 8)
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

I feel your pain more than you know. I have had a total of 4 strokes in the last 12 months. One year ago the left side of my body was paralyzed and I did not recognize employees that worked for me for years when they came to visit.

I have recovered in a way that nobody ever expected. i passed my driving test in August when the doctors said I should be in assisted living. The mind is a powerful tool when you are determined.

Anyway, after 30 years of riding, I am selling all my bikes except for my Vespa Rally 180. I do not have the balance to ride right now and they are just parked in the garage. My girlfriend did not want to ride without me so, we sold the Ducati she rode in December.

In another year or two I will own a sidecar rig. Either BMW, Ural or Vespa.

Just because I do not ride, does not mean it is not in my blood. I go to all the bike nights I used to. I still go to the events, I just drive and nobody cares. I am also still on the forums and enjoy them.

2 wheels is part of my DNA and always will be.

BTW, I consider "Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust" a badge of honor.

Dave
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'm sorry that it is that time.

However, it's awesome that you got to have these experiences!

Please stay and contribute your wisdom and wit whenever possible.