did 1st valve adjust

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike1nw

did 1st valve adjust

Post by Mike1nw »

2009 Buddy 125

Well if that wasn't a refreshing task, compared to my Burgman with its stupid SHIMS...

I was reading on this site, about finding TDC.

You can take out the spark plug, and use the kick-start to rotate the engine. Most of the cam lobe is a circle, so you don't have to have it at any particular location, just point the lobe away from the rocker arm.

Tricky getting the .003 in. feeler in there though, it was so flimsy.

Done and wrapped up in about 20 minutes :wink: Heck, I would do this every week if I had to.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Motion Pro makes angled feeler gauges that make the job much easier.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

I'll check that feeler gauge.

I ended up with a fat 0.003 inch to 0.004 inch, will see how she runs.

The rule for my 16 valve Concours was, "Slappy valves are happy valves" so I always set them to the high end of the range. This Buddy, oddly, has no range, just "0.08 mm".
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Mike1nw wrote:I'll check that feeler gauge.

I ended up with a fat 0.003 inch to 0.004 inch, will see how she runs.

The rule for my 16 valve Concours was, "Slappy valves are happy valves" so I always set them to the high end of the range. This Buddy, oddly, has no range, just "0.08 mm".
i just did my first as well...also used a 0.003" (0.076mm) feeler gauge...very easy...been meaning to buy some metric feeler gauges so i think i am going to do it again just to check myself but 0.004mm difference should be fine...i will say it ran a lot better after the adjustment...not sure if it was that or the seafoam in the gas tank...cause it was bogging down when i tried to give it too little throttle before...i need to get this thing insured/registered/inspected