Tire replacement

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JJScoot

Tire replacement

Post by JJScoot »

My new 50 came with a front whitewall tire that was "stained". I was told basically the tire bleeds through the white. Anyway, it looks crappy, like it is always dirty. I bought a new one to replace it.

Anyone have any tips to make it easier to replace? Thanks in advance.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Short of taking it to a tire shop, any homebrew job is going to involve cursing. Metal lever, yanking and prying. I've had good luck with smooth sides box/crescent wrenches as leverage aides, but I said all manner of rude things along the way.
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

couple of tire irons from Harbor Freight. Priceless. In fact, I am going to get a 3rd one.

Can of WD40 helps it slip off the wheel, and the new tire slip on easier.

Build a quick frame from 2x4s so the brake disc doesn't touch the ground, then you can step along the tire to pop the bead loose.

I am lucky- my sister has a 100 psi air compressor with high volume. Gas station air hoses won't inflate fast enough to pop the new tire onto the wheel.

And yes- some cussing helps me :oops:
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Mike1nw wrote:couple of tire irons from Harbor Freight. Priceless. In fact, I am going to get a 3rd one.

Can of WD40 helps it slip off the wheel, and the new tire slip on easier.

Build a quick frame from 2x4s so the brake disc doesn't touch the ground, then you can step along the tire to pop the bead loose.

I am lucky- my sister has a 100 psi air compressor with high volume. Gas station air hoses won't inflate fast enough to pop the new tire onto the wheel.

And yes- some cussing helps me :oops:
Which Harbor Freight tire irons do you use? The only ones I can find are these - https://www.harborfreight.com/24-in-gen ... 61603.html I tried them but they didn't work for me. Now I have two sets of these and they work great - https://www.revzilla.com/product/motion ... tire-irons

I use four tire irons(usually only three at a time,) a bottle of water with two squirts of dish soap, a 1' long piece of wood to break the bead, and a piece of old carpet to work on.
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

Yeah, the HF ones in your link, they work all right for me. I'm used to changing my Burgman tires, haven't had to attack the Buddy yet though 8)
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Good Luck. I notice some on this forum can do these 10" tire replacements. I tried and could get one side of the tire off the rim, but was not able to get the other and finally took it to a shop. It was worth the $20 for removing the old and mounting the new tire.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Get some price quotes from s few shops since the wheel will be off the scooter. I freakin' HATE doing tires and will happily pay up to $30 (thats our current going rate) to just let a shop WITH A MACHINE to do it. Tire irons will nick and scratch your rims up, but a properly used machine is no touch. Before you replace the white wall, did you try Wesley's Tire White yet? Used it on my low rider white walls and it works great! Magic Eraser pads work on stains also.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I had various quotes from shops between $60 per tire and $20 per tire to install. Surprisingly, the fancy schmancy Ducati/BMW shop was the cheapest. Shop around for the install.
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

I just did a rear tire replace (Black Jack). Michelin tire.

This was much more difficult than the larger tires on my Burgman.

I think because there is less room between the wheel and the tire, once the tire is "popped" off the wheel.

Also, the Michelin is VERY heavy and stiff.

Nonetheless, I managed to install the new one. BUT couldn't get it to seat. Took to a tire shop, their 175 psi compressor did the trick :wink:
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I started doing my own tire changes when the local shop raised the price from $10 a tire to $20. The first few times it took me an hour a tire but then I started to get the technique down and I got faster. Now I can do a tire in 15-20 minute, sometimes faster. I ride enough that I change tires 3-4 times a year so the savings add up. Also, by doing it myself I am able make it cost effective to "rotate" my tires, I put new tires on the front then put the used front tires on the back. I do have some scratches in my rims but they hold air just fine(the scratches don't touch the tire.) Worst case I could buy a new rim every few tire changes with the money I am saving. I have probably done 15+ tire changes by now which is over $300 in savings.

For anyone who wants to learn how to do it there are videos on Youtube that are quite helpful. Then you want to have three or four tire irons, you only need two but the extras really help. The hardest part of the process is removing the tire, the first half is pretty easy the second half is pretty hard. The easiest way to get the second half off is to cut the tire open then hacksaw the wire bead(or use some bolt cutters on the bead.) It is faster to use the tire irons to remove the second half and you don't ruin the tire if you want to reuse it later.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I use an $8.00 set of Chinese tire irons and a home made bead breaker. I change a dozen or so tires a year. I'll mount a low mileage take off from the front of a customer's scooter to the rear of my scooter to get 3,000 free miles. If you let the new tire set in the direct sun for 30 minutes, it will go on much easier. Do this again before you go to set the bead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh1LzAicDCw
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-04-22 at 5.07.00 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-04-22 at 5.07.00 PM.png (98.71 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

/\ Yes the sun helps a lot!
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

sc00ter wrote:Get some price quotes from s few shops since the wheel will be off the scooter. I freakin' HATE doing tires and will happily pay up to $30 (thats our current going rate) to just let a shop WITH A MACHINE to do it. Tire irons will nick and scratch your rims up, but a properly used machine is no touch. Before you replace the white wall, did you try Wesley's Tire White yet? Used it on my low rider white walls and it works great! Magic Eraser pads work on stains also.
I tried every cleaning product. I didnt try a magic eraser, but will give it a shot. Apparently it is what I would call a defective tire. the brownish stains are from the layer underneath is what I have read. I already bought the tire so after reading these posts, i will probably just take it to the scooter shop and let them do it. Thanks for the replies everyone.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Bleche-Wite will get them clean.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

JettaKnight wrote:Bleche-Wite will get them clean.
it didnt.