Quick battery charging question for my Buddy 125! :)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

runtotorun121

Quick battery charging question for my Buddy 125! :)

Post by runtotorun121 »

Hi! I have, as the post titles as, a quick question about charging the battery on my Buddy 125. :D

If I want to hook my battery up to a battery charger that says 6 Volt or 12 volt, which one is it?

I bought my Buddy brand new the year before the 150s came out. I'm trying to figure out now if that's been at least 10 or 11 years ago? Anyway, after I rode it for a year or so I ended up pregnant with triplets, who are now 8 years old. LOL Since then I did ride a little bit while we were still in Kansas City and the babies were very very young, but four years ago my 3 kiddos and I left Kansas City and came to an extremely tiny rural area in Oklahoma.

Because everywhere to and from a paved road takes me out of our pasture down a dirt road I have not ventured out on my Buddy. I even contemplated selling it, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that. After riding around for the last couple of years with my new fiance on the back of his Harley I've about had it with him getting to ride his bike to work on pretty days and me sitting staring longingly at the road while driving in my mommy van. :-)

While all of our biker friends grin at me when I talk about my scooter, I have patiently and repeatedly explained to them the finer points of my Buddy and how I used to be able to corner way better than their gigantic bikes. LOL Not that I would do that kind of thing now as a responsible mommy. ;) *Nevermind that scooter riders are way cooler than bikers ;) .*

So I rolled her out and washed her off this afternoon, and while I know that charging my battery is not going to help it keep a charge I never did have a very good time with kick-starting it. I'm only about a 115 pounds so it's hard for me to get enough oomph to get her started. I know I'm going to have to try to find a new battery, but around here I fear it's going to be a complicated process to find a scooter battery. Like I said, tiny and rural. But I just wanted to see if I could get it started and check things out.

I fear I recall that after my kiddos were born, with it only sitting for a year and a half or so, we had to clean the carburetor because it was horribly gunky. There was no way it was going to catch and start until we did that. So while the battery charging issue may seem silly, I'm going to go ahead and try it while I start digging into the tech files and see if I can find the carburetor cleaning one again.

If anyone has a PS that they can add to me and direct me to where that carburetor cleaning file is, that would be great. :-)

Thank you in advance for your time and any replies,
Kristie
~Celebrate~
Point37

Post by Point37 »

12V...better off just jumping it with your car...drain the fuel if there is any in it and put new fuel with seafoam fuel treatment in it...start it and let it run or take it for a ride to let the seafoam break up the gunk in the carburetor...if that doesn't do the job or it isn't running right then clean the carb

battery
https://www.scooterworks.com/Battery-12 ... P5213.aspx
Last edited by Point37 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

jd

Post by jd »

If you plan to continue riding it intermittently, then you'd save yourself a lot of trouble if you put a battery tender on it. You could get something like this as long as you have power available wherever you are garaging your Buddy:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-0 ... ery+tender

You can hook a tender right up to a plug that will insert right into your 12v outlet above the storage bin, so you don't even need to access the battery. I keep all three of my bikes on tenders whenever they're parked. They always ready to start, plus avoiding the repeated complete discharging and recharging of the batteries extends their life.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

And suggestions on how long I should let it run or ride it with the seafoam in?

And again,, I'm crossing my fingers but think I might be being overly optimistic because I don't remember being able to even get it started last time when the carburetor was gunky. It took a cleaning to get that thing to turn over. :cry:
~Celebrate~
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

jd wrote:If you plan to continue riding it intermittently, then you'd save yourself a lot of trouble if you put a battery tender on it. You could get something like this as long as you have power available wherever you are garaging your Buddy:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-0 ... ery+tender

You can hook a tender right up to a plug that will insert right into your 12v outlet above the storage bin, so you don't even need to access the battery. I keep all three of my bikes on tenders whenever they're parked. They always ready to start, plus avoiding the repeated complete discharging and recharging of the batteries extends their life.
Got one! But I guess I need to look at the link you sent because I don't know if they all work that way or not, but I like the idea of being able to hook it into my 12-volt Outlet. :D

Thanks for the suggestion and the information about that battery tender. :-)
~Celebrate~
jd

Post by jd »

Make sure you've got a tender, not a charger. A charger will put too much power through the 12v outlet and blow the fuse. Besides, you don't want to leave a charger (rather than a tender) on the battery indefinitely.

Depending on what you've got for a tender, then this item will allow you to plug it into your 12v socket:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-C ... 9TZFP5PAHC
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.