Where to buy right front break master cylinder for Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

runtotorun121

Where to buy right front break master cylinder for Buddy 125

Post by runtotorun121 »

Thanks to help from here, my Buddy is running. I'm going to be getting a new battery, but we found that the plunger on the front brake is completely Frozen up. We tried WD40 and to try to break it loose but we couldn't get that to happen so it looks like I need to buy a right front brake master cylinder. Can someone help me out with where and how to find that?

Thanks again for all your help!
Kristie
~Celebrate~
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

You can buy a new master cylinder for $65 from someplace like Scooterloungeonline or risk a used one for $25-50 from eBay. The ones from eBay usually include the front brake caliper too.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

babblefish wrote:You can buy a new master cylinder for $65 from someplace like Scooterloungeonline or risk a used one for $25-50 from eBay. The ones from eBay usually include the front brake caliper too.
I apologize for not knowing, but are they a generic part that fits all scooters, or do I need a specific part for the '07 Buddy?
~Celebrate~
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Are you sure its the master cylinder and not the caliper? If water got in the master cylinder it most likely got in the caliper to. A generic master cylinder will work but you might have to trim a piece of panel if it doesn't line up quite right. My tight wad friend used a master cylinder off a Yamaha Zuma when his stock one started leaking from the fluid level window on his Buddy.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

My vote is for a bad caliper as well. Not a whole lot to go bad on the master cylinder. I've seen fairly new calipers fail from moisture on the inside. Here's a used one for $25.00. https://www.ebay.com/itm/G3-2009-Genuin ... -1&vxp=mtr You can buy a new one for a little more than twice this.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

sc00ter wrote:Are you sure its the master cylinder and not the caliper? If water got in the master cylinder it most likely got in the caliper to. A generic master cylinder will work but you might have to trim a piece of panel if it doesn't line up quite right. My tight wad friend used a master cylinder off a Yamaha Zuma when his stock one started leaking from the fluid level window on his Buddy.
Hmm. Well the plunger will not budge. Not in, not out, not a wiggle. Not even with needle-nose vice grips. I will mention the caliper. We have three Harleys and a lot of bike friends, but not scooter aficionados here so I am working at bikers' assistance. If I mention the caliper then they surely can help me with that too. If I can figure where to get to it. :)
~Celebrate~
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

DeeDee wrote:My vote is for a bad caliper as well. Not a whole lot to go bad on the master cylinder. I've seen fairly new calipers fail from moisture on the inside. Here's a used one for $25.00. https://www.ebay.com/itm/G3-2009-Genuin ... -1&vxp=mtr You can buy a new one for a little more than twice this.
Thank you for the link! Does the 150 and 125 interchange?
~Celebrate~
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

If you're doing an eBay search, type in "genuine buddy, brake" and that should bring up a few things. Yes, the 125 and 150 and as far as I know, the 170i use the same brake components.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.