Is this gear oil safe for my Buddy 50?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Nintari

Is this gear oil safe for my Buddy 50?

Post by Nintari »

I guess this is a little bit late, considering I already bought the stuff and changed it myself, but I want to make sure. I think I did my homework and got the right gear oil. Please reassure me that I did, indeed, not totally just ruin my scooter. lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J ... UTF8&psc=1
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

What did your LOCAL shop say?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Yes. You did well.
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

RoaringTodd wrote:What did your LOCAL shop say?
I didn't go to my local shop because local for me is about an hour and a half away through toll roads. That, and I had bad experiences with them. I just relied on finding my own info the best I could online. I used these forums in conjunction with other places and tried to do the best I could.
DeeDee wrote:Yes. You did well.
Thanks be the maker lol. This isn't the first time I've changed oil on something, I've done it on cars before, but it's the first time I've ever done it on a scooter and it was all fairly straight forward. My goal is to become totally self sufficient and do all the maintenance myself. This was the first step into a larger world.

By the way, you should have seen the gear oil that came out of that thing. My god, it was almost brown! I changed it right around the 290 mile mark so I didn't expect it to be THAT gunked up. Is that normal?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I buy my oils from my local Autozone or O'Reillys. They're all over the place around here.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Seeing that you were in Chicago I assumed there were several shops?

Ah I know the feeling of not being confident in a local mechanic. Happy scooting! I enjoy wrenching on my rides, but I also am glad there are scooter shop options when I fubar things up.

Todd
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

FWIW, the last I heard, the Chicago shop (assuming you're talking about Scooterworks on Damen?) was under new management and had a new service staff.