Freight and Prep fees

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

blackice5674

Freight and Prep fees

Post by blackice5674 »

Hey guys,

So I think I have finally settled on the Genuine Hooligan as my first scooter after doing some research and going on test rides on my choices I narrows my list down to. Was just wondering if this fees is a typical amount, or higher than normal compared to yalls experience.

I'm looking at a $350 freight and prep fee. Is that pretty standard cost? Any wiggle room on something like this? I know its not a big deal compared to the overall cost and they do pay to get it shipped to their location, but this does add 10% more. Can I try to get this charge dropped by buying accessories from their store instead?

Thanks
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Doesn't hurt to ask, but my suspicion is that they will not waive or reduce the dealer prep and freight fees. They'll tell you that they are just passing the actual costs to the buyer (you) and that they make no profit on them.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

In small print on most motorcycle and scooter websites is the shipping fee. No one will ship a scooter for free. Then, prep. It takes someone to put it together. Finally, are they doing the paperwork? I hate going to DMV as much as the next guy! When I purchased my Buddy, the dealer (at the time) was upfront about the "hidden" cost and listed a Out the Door price. Not sure they do that anymore. I felt that was fair. Then, I get 10% off accessories and parts. Finally, if you get to know them and they get to know you, information is priceless! I have had a tech come out and explain or show me something I was having trouble with, like finding a hairline crack in a transmission case.
skipper20

Re: Freight and Prep fees

Post by skipper20 »

blackice5674 wrote:Hey guys,

So I think I have finally settled on the Genuine Hooligan as my first scooter after doing some research and going on test rides on my choices I narrows my list down to. Was just wondering if this fees is a typical amount, or higher than normal compared to yalls experience.

I'm looking at a $350 freight and prep fee. Is that pretty standard cost? Any wiggle room on something like this? I know its not a big deal compared to the overall cost and they do pay to get it shipped to their location, but this does add 10% more. Can I try to get this charge dropped by buying accessories from their store instead?

Thanks
Their profit margin is so small that they will hardly ever budge on shipping and prep costs. Same with doc. fees. This slim profit margin is most likely why so many Genuine dealerships have folded in recent years.

Bill in Seattle
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

It sucks too, because they have to keep the profit margin super small so folks are more likely to buy, but then they can't keep the lights on. I am just as guilty as the next guy of passing on a product for the sake of it being $20 too expensive, without thinking on what is causing that extra $20 pricetag.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

$350 is cheap for freight and prep. Unless they're in Chicago, freight cost is at least $250. That leaves only $100 in dealer prep to cover 2-3hrs of uncrating, prepping and disposal of the bulky crate. Not to mention paying the sales person who sold you the scooter.