Royal Alloys

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

Royal Alloys

Post by RoaringTodd »

There was a mention of the new Royal Alloys coming to the USA.

I don't think there was a CARB report on those yet? Jsjir?

Tell me more.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Royal Alloys

Post by jrsjr »

RoaringTodd wrote:There was a mention of the new Royal Alloys coming to the USA.

I don't think there was a CARB report on those yet? Jsjir?

Tell me more.
RoaringTodd, I am not up-to-date on what's happening with Royal Alloys. I know there was a legal battle in the UK over importing their machines. There were three parties involved in the battle. This link to an article on Scooterlab.uk is not current but it explains who the players are in this struggle. The Royal Alloy bikes (they changed the name from Royalloy in case you are Googling this story) are made by Hanway in China. I searched all the EPA and CARB databases going all the way back to 1982 and found no evidence of any Hanway-made product or Royalloy or Royal Alloy branded product ever having been certified for sale in the USA. They may have been under some other name, but nothing that I could find

Interestingly, to bring this home to Genuine products, I did find evidence in the past of Shineray products having been EPA certified, so that isn't without precedent in the history of motorcycling...

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Scooterlab was the best resource I found on the Scomadi/Royal Alloy/Royalloy/Hanway saga. If you want to follow the whole saga, try Googling Scooterlab "Clone Wars" and you should find at least four chapters of that story online. Also, you should find a thread on ModernVespa from December 2017 which purports to have the scoop on the Royal Alloy bikes coming to the USA.

I remain cautiously optimistic.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

FWIW, the owner of SF Scooter Center told me they would be carrying Royal Alloy scooters in the very near future. I don't recall an exact date, but he seemed pretty positive about it. I also thought he said that they might be sold under the Genuine brand name. If so, I hope he'll bring in a 400cc version of it since Royal Alloy and Scomati are both built on the same production line.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
RoaringTodd

Danke

Post by RoaringTodd »

Thanks JSRJR for the information!
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

babblefish wrote:FWIW, the owner of SF Scooter Center told me they would be carrying Royal Alloy scooters in the very near future. I don't recall an exact date, but he seemed pretty positive about it. I also thought he said that they might be sold under the Genuine brand name. If so, I hope he'll bring in a 400cc version of it since Royal Alloy and Scomati are both built on the same production line.
That would an AWESOME coda to the Genuine Cruiser story, wouldn't it? The fabled Rainbow Unicorn bike actually in a dealership. I might even buy one of those myself. As I said above, I remain cautiously optimistic...

lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

you know that feeling when you know a secret but you can't say......the crystal ball says no unicorns though....
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Just for fun:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EQPhinwxBgw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

babblefish wrote:Just for fun:
What's the executive summary of that video? Conclusions? Opinions? General feeling?

To my eye, looks too big and bulky to be powered by a 125 cc mill.

And I didn't have the patience to listen to that guy drone on about it for 8+ minutes. ;)
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Ugh. No storage, no deal.

But a liquid cooled 14+ hp 125cc? Pretty cool.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I kept waiting for the Scomadi lawyers to parachute into the video and serve them with an injunction...
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I guess whoever gets the Lammy clone to the market first in the States will get the sales and glory. Scomadi could complain all they want, China clones of Vespa's are still coming into the US market, and if Vespa (Piaggio) cant stop them, Scomadi wont stand a chance.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

jrsjr wrote:I kept waiting for the Scomadi lawyers to parachute into the video and serve them with an injunction...
So if both brands/scooters are built by the same manufacturer, on the same production line, can either one protest against the other?
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

babblefish wrote: So if both brands/scooters are built by the same manufacturer, on the same production line, can either one protest against the other?
Yes, Scomadi was having their bikes built in a Chinese factory, the factory then stole the designs and started producing their own bikes; Royal Alloy.
Scomadi has since moved their production.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>