Brake pads replacement

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ucandoit

Brake pads replacement

Post by ucandoit »

Have searched for info. regarding front brake pad replacement for the Buddy 125 in the technical library, but came up with nothing. Is there anything on Modern Buddy that helps with that or should I just check general youtube videos?
Would I change brake fluid before or another installing new pads.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Your fluid should be changed out every 3 to 4 years regardless of the miles. The pads are simple. Remove the two 12mm bolts holding the caliper in place. Remove your pads, and install new ones. Use cedar shims or paint stir sticks to wedge the pads apart, and slide back on to the rotor. Flush and bleed your system after the new pads are in.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

DeeDee: Thank you. Do I need to put some caliper grease on the slides, as I would when working on auto brakes? Is there any hardware that hold the pads and that I would also need to grease? Also, why change the fluid after installing new pads instead of before?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You don't need grease. I would go in with some wd40 and q-tips to clean the Pistons up a bit. The new pads are thicker than the ones you take out. This will dictate the fluid level up in the reservoir.
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

Use brake cleaner, not WD-40.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I took the caliper off and the pads are still quite good, so I did use some brake cleaner and cleaned things a bit. I tried to remove the two hex (allen head) pins that hold the pads in, but they were too tight. I just had a plain hex wrench. I guess if I really wanted to get them out I would try some PB Blaster to loosen them. I think I've seen people use a hex type wrench with a socket driver. I regret buying new pads as I think I'll never need them.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

...ride faster, heh, heh.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I envy the guys who ride FOT. I'm a nervous Nellie. My fastest is maybe 53 mph for about 2 seconds. I doubt I'll ever wear out those pads.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I'm at 58,000 on the original front pads and from what I can see they have plenty of life left in them. I use the front brakes more than the back brakes. Though most of miles are done on backroads and highways not in stop-and-go traffic.

GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The minimum thickness spec is in the manual. If I recall correctly, it's 2mm. Those appear to be fine. At 11,000 miles my 170i's pads had warn 0.1mm from original thickness. This was verified with a new set that I was ready to install.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.