Feeler guage

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

psymple

Feeler guage

Post by psymple »

According to the specs, valve adjustment should be .088mm, I can't find a feeler gauge to match; suggestions?
Syd

Post by Syd »

I think that's wrong. 008 is probably better.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Syd

Post by Syd »

Syd wrote:I think that's wrong. 008 is probably better.
Make that 0.08.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
psymple

Post by psymple »

Ahh, thanks, i must have had double vision. Could this cause backfiring? has 2k miles on it...just not right
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I just adjusted my valves. It is .08 mm for both the intake and exhaust on the Buddy 125. Most videos list the gap in inches, not mm, so watch out for that.
It took me three times to get the job done right. The 2nd time I got the gap too loose and heard the clicking/tapping sound when I started the engine. I think it takes a bit of experience to get the feel for this, but it's important to get it right. After adjusting valves, I now really listen to my engine.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ucandoit wrote:I just adjusted my valves. It is .08 mm for both the intake and exhaust on the Buddy 125. Most videos list the gap in inches, not mm, so watch out for that.
It took me three times to get the job done right. The 2nd time I got the gap too loose and heard the clicking/tapping sound when I started the engine. I think it takes a bit of experience to get the feel for this, but it's important to get it right. After adjusting valves, I now really listen to my engine.
Amazing. I remember a time when a certain person didn't even know where the sparkplug was. You go girl!
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ucandoit wrote:I just adjusted my valves. It is .08 mm for both the intake and exhaust on the Buddy 125. Most videos list the gap in inches, not mm, so watch out for that.
Nice job! And remember...none of us were born knowing this stuff!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
psymple

Post by psymple »

Nice, I (a friend) adjusted them once last yr and it helped but got worse this season so was gonna try again. This yr gonna try myself. Glad this seems to be common...so I'm not alone. Thanks
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

When you set it at TDC, check the mark on the flywheel side at the fan. The mark on the camshaft sprocket will line up twice. Only one of them is top dead center. I always found my exhaust valve a little tight on my 170i. The intake never needed adjusted.
psymple

Post by psymple »

Thanks....will keep that in mind