Weird start-up issue...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dubious Dom

Weird start-up issue...

Post by Dubious Dom »

Hello!

My scooter (genuine buddy 125cc 2008) sometimes won’t start unless I spam the electric start while aggressively turning the wheel left and right. I look like an idiot outside of the grocery store just violently jerking my wheel back and forth. Please help.

I’m guessing it’s some loose connection. Any thoughts on what it could be?
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Is the brake light coming on when you hit each brake?
Dubious Dom

Post by Dubious Dom »

dasscooter wrote:Is the brake light coming on when you hit each brake?
Yes sir, turn signals and hazards all work as well.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

When you're mashing the button, is that just to get the starter motor to do ANYTHING, or is it repeatedly spinning up and just not catching?
Dubious Dom

Post by Dubious Dom »

Stanza wrote:When you're mashing the button, is that just to get the starter motor to do ANYTHING, or is it repeatedly spinning up and just not catching?
There no response whatsoever, just the sound of my frantic button mashes. No clicking or anything. Then, it’s like something aligns and it will start with no effort over and over.

I just replaced the starter motor as well.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Could be as simple as the starter button being worn out. They do give up eventually, if they have been sitting in the rain, snow, etc, the contacts can corrode. Jumping the forks back and forth though, you might have a loose connection in the headset where that button plugs into the wiring harness. I'd suggest popping the headset cover off and checking to make sure that's a tight connection. If it is, you probably need a new switch.

Third alternative, your starter solenoid might be bad, or have a loose connection. That's under the seat bucket though. Four bolts, and the bucket lifts right out. Check it out!