Hooligan (or Buddy) 170i Rear Tire Removal Tips?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dbbldz123

Hooligan (or Buddy) 170i Rear Tire Removal Tips?

Post by dbbldz123 »

So far I've taken off the exhaust, brake calipers, suspension, and all of the screws on the swing arm. But the swing arm either seems to be stuck or I've missed a step. I removed the rubber disc that covers up a large 24mm nut so it seems the only thing left to do is remove this big @$$ nut?

I watched the oft-cited video of 2015 guy taking the wheel off his 170i, but he doesn't have disc brakes so I'm pretty much at a loss.

Does anyone here have a 170i Buddy or Hooligan with shocks and disc brakes in the back?

Tried to take a breaker bar and a 24mm 12-pt deep socket to the nut, but it won't go. Which makes me think that I'm either missing something or I have to get some PB Blaster and a sledgehammer.

Any thoughts on how to get this demon wheel off ?

Or as they put it in the weirdly translated Chinese manual... demolition!!!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The Hooligan and the Buddy have completely different rear brake/suspension setups. The Buddy does not have a rear swing arm because it uses a rear drum brake rather than disk. I've never worked on a Hooligan before but from your description it sounds like it uses a very similar setup as a Blur, other than the twin rear shocks vs a single shock multi-link suspension.

To get the rear wheel off my Blur, I first removed the swing arm with the wheel attached.

I then loosened the big nut in the middle of the wheel and backed it off until the nut was flush with the end of the spindle/axle.

With a large brass punch that was about 5/8" diameter (a brass or aluminum rod can also be used) pressed against the spindle/axle, I lightly hit the punch with a hammer to knock the wheel loose. Be careful to not wail on that spindle/axle with a big ol' sledge hammer because you can damage the wheel bearing and/or the spindle/axle. Leaving the nut on the spindle/axle helps to protect the threads. If it's being stubborn, a little heat applied to the wheel around the spindle/axle will help.

Good luck.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
dbbldz123

Post by dbbldz123 »

Right on! Thanks!

I did managed to work the nut loose by placing a PVC tube over the breaker bar to get some leverage on it. Cracked right loose and wheel came off easy.

After an intense battle with the 12" back tire I managed to get it off the rim. Little did I know the war hadn't even begun as getting the new tire on is proving to be a serious challenge :cry: First side went on easy. But the next side is currently in purgatory.

Any tips on that front?

I lubed it up with some dish liquid to aid in the process but I'm starting to think there's not enough dish liquid in the world for this task...
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

dbbldz123 wrote:Any tips on that front?
Yeah, take it to a scooter shop.

I went through the same pain as you did with three scooter tires. I brought the forth one to my local scooter shop when it's time had come. For 20 greenbacks they saved me a lot of hassle and aggravation. If you're still gonna do it yourself, use a heat gun and warm up the tires sidewalls really well (wear gloves) before doing the deed.
dbbldz123

Post by dbbldz123 »

Ok I'll probably take your advice next time! Woke up determined to succeed and after letting the tire sit in the sun for a while and trying some new techniques I got the sucker on there.

Pumped it up with a low volume air compressor with a ratchet strap around the tire. Heard a small pop when the bead set. But only one. So I'm gonna let it sit for a day to see if it loses pressure or if we're good to go.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

babblefish wrote:

I went through the same pain as you did with three scooter tires. I brought the forth one to my local scooter shop when it's time had come. For 20 greenbacks they saved me a lot of hassle and aggravation. If you're still gonna do it yourself, use a heat gun and warm up the tires sidewalls really well (wear gloves) before doing the deed.
Where are you?
dbbldz123

Post by dbbldz123 »

WA
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

DeeDee wrote:
babblefish wrote:

Where are you?
At a micro brewerly watching the Warriors win the Western NBA Championship....