Yamaha C3?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Yamaha C3?

Post by skipper20 »

I know, this is a Genuine forum but I'm curious if any of you have had experience, good or bad with the C3. The ads say it will hit 40 mph but I'm wondering if that's realistic. I like the fact that it has EFI and a 4T 3 valve engine. The large trunk is also a plus. I would be using it on a sparsely traveled 2 lane mostly flat paved country road with gentle curves 6 mis. to my favorite local coffee shop and back. Speed limit is 40 mph but there's a 3' wide bike lane on either side that I could move onto if somebody was crawling up my backside. I've told you all my age. I'm 5' 10" tall and weigh 175 lbs. dripping wet. I'm fit for my age and my balance is still reasonably good. What do you all think?

Bill in Seattle who misses scootering big time
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

It's a fantastic machine. Worth the ride.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Syd

Post by Syd »

Back when the C3 was still imported into the US, I read a blog about a couple who rode across Canada on one. I still don't believe it.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Get it! I've owned two. My current C3 has 22,000 miles on it. I weigh 200lbs, and with simple modifications the scooter can do 45mph with ease. It gets over 120 mpg. They put the same drivetrain in the new Zuma 50. Parts are easy to find. They are easy to work on, and loads of information on the web. I currently have a 200cc Vespa, 400cc Burgman and my C3. C3 is my hands down favorite.
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-05-18 at 11.53.11 AM.png
Screenshot 2018-05-18 at 11.53.11 AM.png (193.56 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I have a 2007 C3 and love it. Smooth ride and tons of storage in the under seat area and regularly get 100 mpg or better. Mine has about 2000 miles on, is stock and me on it (6'1" and 190.lbs) it will run 40-41 mph all day on flat ground. It's pretty decent on hills too. I am happy with build quality and thus far I have only had one problem - occasionally on warm days it would be hard to re-start if the engine was hot. After a bit of online research I found this was a somewhat common issue on early C3s (mostly '07s) and the fix was to replace the fuel pump. I bought a replacement pump for about $20 online, installed it myself (pretty easy) and it has started and run prefect ever since.

Here is a link to the ride across Canada Syd mentioned: http://scootercanada.weebly.com/index.html
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I read that story of Mike and Keri before I bought my first C3. I was researching what 50cc twist and go to buy. That story helped steer me toward the C3.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

ericjose wrote: I would like to get a 125 Zuma but will wait until they have FI like the C3.
the zuma 125 is fuel injected...i don't believe there ever was a carbureted version of the zuma 125...the older zuma 50s were 2 stroke until 2012 where they went to 4 stroke fuel injected engines

clean c3...
https://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ ... 25870.html
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

DeeDee wrote:Get it! I've owned two. My current C3 has 22,000 miles on it. I weigh 200lbs, and with simple modifications the scooter can do 45mph with ease. It gets over 120 mpg. They put the same drivetrain in the new Zuma 50. Parts are easy to find. They are easy to work on, and loads of information on the web. I currently have a 200cc Vespa, 400cc Burgman and my C3. C3 is my hands down favorite.
C3s are becoming few and far between here in the PNW. Buyers must have been reading these posts! As a possible alternative, what about a '01 Yamaha Zuma with 1636 miles priced at $1300? From the photos it looks clean and original.

Bill in Seattle
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Completely different scooter. Hold out for a C3. They are worth it. The C3 engine will outlast that Zuma 2t engine 4:1. Expand your search. With shippers like uhip, the cost is pretty reasonable to buy a scooter from 400 miles away. They put the C3 drivetrain in the 2012 and newer Zumas. Not nearly as comfortable as the C3. Here's some for sale in the PNW: http://www.scooterfinds.com/yamaha-c3-scooters
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I don't understand the difference between a Zuma and your 170i. What is your thinking?
Syd

Post by Syd »

The majority is always sane - Nessus
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

k1dude wrote:I don't understand the difference between a Zuma and your 170i. What is your thinking?
C3 is 40lb lighter and has a lower seat height. A metro will have a lower seat height as well. It doesn't sound like height is the issue but having some extra leg extension travel to work with improves balance when stopped for some.
Also you might consider a buddy 50 with a low down rear shock. It won't have a cushy ride like the metro but at 175lbs it should be easy to handle.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

DeeDee wrote:Here's some for sale in the PNW: http://www.scooterfinds.com/yamaha-c3-scooters
does this website just search CL for scooters?
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Point37 wrote:
DeeDee wrote:Here's some for sale in the PNW: http://www.scooterfinds.com/yamaha-c3-scooters
does this website just search CL for scooters?
Interesting website. I have it bookmarked. Thanks!

What about an '07 with just under 11,000 miles for $1,000 firm? Pics look good but I haven't seen it in person. Since this is a Genuine forum and to try and get it back on course, what's the forum's take on a Genuine Roughhouse 50 vs Yamaha C3? I know, 2T vs. 4T and carb vs. EFI but other than that, which do you think comes out on top? I've owned an RH 50 but at the time I had too many scooters so I had to let it go. The guy I sold it to has it back on the market but he's asking $750 more than what he paid me 1 year ago! I asked him if he'd like to sell it back at his original purchase price but so far I've been treated with silence.

Bill in Seattle
Point37

Post by Point37 »

i'd say c3 over roughhouse...for fuel economy, speed, storage, quality, fuel cap location, fuel tank location (=lower center of gravity), actual exposed handlebars to mount stuff on and parts availability

http://www.justgottascoot.com/yamahac3.htm

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Genuin ... e-R50.html

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Yamaha/C3/C3.html
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

If that C3 is clean with no damage, the asking price is reasonable. Not a super deal, but reasonable. I wouldn’t let the mileage scare you. Do you wrench on what you ride? I’d start off with a full service including coolant flush and fork oil change. I’ve owned both the RH and C3. I found the RH suspension and ergonomics quite a bit better than the stock C3. Both are running 90/10 tires. The C3 suspension is fairly inexpensive to upgrade. The drivetrain in the C3 is the pinnacle of 50cc technology. Yamaha achieved performance, reliability and longevity with the XF50 power plant. The RH can be tinkered with if that is your thing. You can add a bbk, pipe, intake, etc.. to get more power. If you don’t ride a lot, the 2 stroke can get finicky. The fuel injection on the C3 is much more forgiving. The crank bearings are bathed in oil on the C3. It is water cooled. With routine maintenance, the engine will go 40,000 miles plus. Simply not the case with the 2 stroke engine in the Roughhouse. Bone stock the RH had good top speed. The braking was good. I found it to be slow off the line, and downright dangerous climbing hills. A stock C3 is guilty of this as well, but can be improved for very little money. The Roughhouse isn’t a bad scooter, but it doesn’t compare to the C3. Point37 hit on this: parts availability. I'lll go one further, parts and service. Yamaha has one of the, if not the strongest 2 wheel dealer network in the Nation. They still manufacture the power train for the new zuma. You can find parts and service in just about every corner of the US. Not the case with the Roughhouse.