2013 Buddy 125 Coil Testing - No spark

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rut-n-buck

2013 Buddy 125 Coil Testing - No spark

Post by rut-n-buck »

My wife has a 2013 Genuine Buddy 125 that won't start. I pulled the plug and it was pretty dirty so thought that might be the issue. I put in a new plug but it still wouldn't fire. So then I tested for spark by holding the spark plug on the block and hitting the ignition but I'm not getting any spark. I'm trying to test the coil now with a multimeter but not sure what it should read. On the end with the terminals I set my multimeter to 200 ohms and I am getting a reading of 1.5, which seems low. I thought it should be between 3-5 based on videos I have seen online. For the cap end I set the meter to 200k and I am getting a reading of 13.6 Can anyone confirm if these are good or if you think the coil is bad?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

If your coil turns out to be good, then I would check the connections of the timing sensor and ignition/CDI coil of the stator (see wiring diagram). Both of these are in the cable harness coming from the top of the engine where the stator is located. You should see a blue wire with a yellow stripe (Bl/Y in diagram) which is for the timing sensor. The ignition/CDI coil wire is black with a red stripe (B/R in diagram). Each wire has a bullet connector that plugs into a mating connector in the scooters main wire harness. Make sure these connections are good because if either one comes unplugged, the engine won't start.
Attachments
BuddyStator.JPG
BuddyStator.JPG (50.33 KiB) Viewed 621 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Forgot to mention: you can check to see if the CDI coil is functioning and putting out voltage by measuring the voltage between the B/R wire and ground while cranking the engine with the starter motor. Set your voltmeter for AC volts. Unfortunately I don't know off the top of my head how much voltage you should see, just that you should see something. You should also see a pulsing on the meter between the BL/Y wire and ground while cranking. If there's nothing then you have a bad stator.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I've had the inside on the coil cap, were it connects to the spark plug, break and cause chaos. Never a full on no start issue but I caught it pretty quick. So make sure the inside of the coil cap didnt come apart inside. If it did, its easier to just replace the coil assembly then it is to rebuild it. Let us know what you find though. Good luck! Side note: Make sure the kill switch is in the on position. I've bumped mine before and it got me really good!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

sc00ter wrote:I've had the inside on the coil cap, were it connects to the spark plug, break and cause chaos. Never a full on no start issue but I caught it pretty quick. So make sure the inside of the coil cap didnt come apart inside. If it did, its easier to just replace the coil assembly then it is to rebuild it. Let us know what you find though. Good luck! Side note: Make sure the kill switch is in the on position. I've bumped mine before and it got me really good!
+1 Unscrew the cap from the wire and make sure the sharp pointy metal tip that goes into the wire is in good shape. Then check the core of the wire where the sharp pointy thing goes into to make sure it's not burned up. If you want to make sure, just cut off about 1/2" from the end of the wire then screw the cap back on.