My little buddy will not start

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jonyskids

Post by jonyskids »

I have a 2014 Buddy 50 with only 700 miles on it. (Yep she was in storage for a bit, but we cleaned out the carb and got her running again.)

We then shipped it down to Little Cayman where we live and she drove like a champ for a few weeks.

Then driving her home one night she just died and has not run since.

What we have done:

Cleaned the carb, changed the fuel filter, confirmed the spark plug is sparking. chardged the batter. Looked closley at the fuel for water, and cleaned out the piston as good as we can.

The piston moves, but she will not even start on Carborator Starter.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jon
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

this may be a silly thing to ask but did you check the kill switch
Dooglas

Re: My little buddy will not start

Post by Dooglas »

jonyskids wrote:……..and cleaned out the piston as good as we can.
You disassembled the engine?!? You have the mechanical experience to do that and you don't see anything wrong?

Darned if I can tell you what is the problem, but I would back up to spark, fuel, and air.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

A friend has a Hyosung Sense 50cc. He's riding one day and hits a bump and the scoot starts running funny. Instead if looking into it when he got home, he continued to ride it. Started to loose power and going slower and slower. Keeps riding it, then nothing-cuts off. Turns out the air filter popped off the carb and the rear tire was just throwing trash into the carb, slowly killing the compression. If you say your getting spark, disconnect the fuel line and see if its pumping fuel while turning over. Also see if its vapor lock by loosening the fuel cap. Rare but it happens. Finally, if spark, fuel and air (check the air filter also) you might want to check the compression. Let us know what you find. PS-I second checking the kill switch to see if its in the off position. Its a prank we play and it really freaks friends out!
jonyskids

More info

Post by jonyskids »

Kill switch is NOT on :D

So I took the air filter off. If I cover the carborators air intake with my palm and try and start it my hand is covered in gas. This tells me fuel is moving through the system.

If I spray starter fulid into the carb I would think that the scooter would turn over at least until the stater fluid burns off. This does not happen?

How would I check the compression?

Thanks, Jon
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: More info

Post by jrsjr »

jonyskids wrote:Kill switch is NOT on :D

So I took the air filter off. If I cover the carborators air intake with my palm and try and start it my hand is covered in gas. This tells me fuel is moving through the system.

If I spray starter fulid into the carb I would think that the scooter would turn over at least until the stater fluid burns off. This does not happen?

How would I check the compression?

Thanks, Jon
Before you do a lot more wrenching on that motor, please do me a favor and make absolutely certain that the plug is not fouled and that you have spark. Two-stroke motors are so stone-axe simple that it really bothers me that you don't get any result when you use starter fluid.

The answer to your question is that you need a specialized piece of equipment called a compression gauge. It has a probe thing that you put in the plug hole with the plug out and spin the motor. The gauge "holds" the result until you push a button that releases the pressure. I've attached a link to a video that shows what you need and how to do the test.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l_RMl5IIenA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I highly doubt its compression related but you can borrow a compression gauge from a better auto store for free. They (compression gauges) can be leaky turds , so if you need to use it take multiple readings. Yes, spark plugs can do weird things. Buy a few extras from a reputable dealer and swap it out. If its flooded that bad you will have to let the motor dry out for a bit. Dumb question, did it run out of 2 cycle oil? Have seen it happen before.
jonyskids

Post by jonyskids »

Thanks for the help guys.

I have two spark plugs to work with. They both throw a spark.

I read through previous post and the only thing I neglected to mention is we went through a window of heavy rain. Possible I got rain in the block, maybe the spark plug cover was not on correctly? If there is water in there, how would I dry it out?

(I doubt it is the compression.)

Do note: I am living on a little island here. Population 170. No good mechanics around.