HELP! I think something is wrong with my new scooter.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Nintari

HELP! I think something is wrong with my new scooter.

Post by Nintari »

I hope someone out there with extensive knowledge can help me here because I'm kind of worried. No, actually, I'm crapping bricks. Seriously.

So, my Buddy 50 is brand new, has less than 500 miles on it. Up until a week ago, everything apart from the electric start was functioning great but now, every time I get the scooter warmed up properly and take off from a stop, the scooter will pull normally up until it hits about 25 mph. Then, it's as if it's a 20cc engine or something until it gets to 35mph. After that, it totally takes off like a rocket again. It's like the gears are stalling in-between 25-35 or something.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? I recently changed the gear oil, but other than that, I haven't touched anything else on it. Could I have fudged up something by changing the oil?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If it is new and under warranty I would suggest taking it to the dealer.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skipper20

Re: HELP! I think something is wrong with my new scooter.

Post by skipper20 »

Nintari wrote:I hope someone out there with extensive knowledge can help me here because I'm kind of worried. No, actually, I'm crapping bricks. Seriously.

So, my Buddy 50 is brand new, has less than 500 miles on it. Up until a week ago, everything apart from the electric start was functioning great but now, every time I get the scooter warmed up properly and take off from a stop, the scooter will pull normally up until it hits about 25 mph. Then, it's as if it's a 20cc engine or something until it gets to 35mph. After that, it totally takes off like a rocket again. It's like the gears are stalling in-between 25-35 or something.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? I recently changed the gear oil, but other than that, I haven't touched anything else on it. Could I have fudged up something by changing the oil?
As Buddy Raton has already stated, your questions need to be directed to your dealer's service department. Stop fretting and start taking action with your dealership. That's what warranties are for.

Bill in Seattle
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

skipper20 wrote:
Nintari wrote:I hope someone out there with extensive knowledge can help me here because I'm kind of worried. No, actually, I'm crapping bricks. Seriously.

As Buddy Raton has already stated, your questions need to be directed to your dealer's service department. Stop fretting and start taking action with your dealership. That's what warranties are for.

Bill in Seattle
If you're talking about MY dealership, as in the place I bought it from, they're crooks and would likely suggest that it was my fault to begin with. I have bad experiences with them from the get-go.

The next closet dealership is an hour away and the only way to get there would be taking a large highway or interstate with lots of tolls etc. I'd have to rent a trailer and pay for another axle. It's really a huge hassle.

That's why I came here because I didn't want to have to rely on mechanics. I want to be able to work on my scooter myself. If I knew what was causing this, I could do that but I'm clueless right now. I'd use google but that it never a good route for things as specific as this.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

read this post as well as the first post in this thread...i would also recommend trying to run the scooter with the gas cap loose or off (if the fuel level is low enough) to see if its a tank venting problem

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... 150#272786

similar problem but with a 125...
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

gas cap vent fix...
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15318
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Point37 wrote:read this post as well as the first post in this thread...i would also recommend trying to run the scooter with the gas cap loose or off (if the fuel level is low enough) to see if its a tank venting problem

gas cap vent fix...
Buddy 50 has a vented gas cap.

Check your spark plug, Buddy's eat plugs unless you use really good 2T oil.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Sounds similar to what happened to my new 50. I don’t know why, but very early on I was questioning my purchase due to it being a huge dog between 20 and 30mph. Forget it if I was trying to start on a hill or slowing down to below 30 and then trying to speed back up. Like you it was worse when it warmed up. The culprit: flat spots on my rollers. They weren’t that terrible, but definitely there on 3 of them. I don’t know why. My only guess is I did some 2 up riding early on. I think I read somewhere that could cause it. Anyway- switched to stock weighted dr pulley sliders and it was like I had a new bike. Better even. Now on flat straights I cruise along at 43-44 real gps mph. Never got that prior to changing to sliders. And acceleration and hills are not an issue. Long story short- if your even the least bit mechanically inclined and have an impact wrench, I would check your rollers for flat spots. If they are there definitely change them to sliders. These are “wear� items that your dealer wouldn’t cover anyway. Let us know how it goes. When I asked around. People told me to change contra spring, spark plug, check for slipping belt and a few other things I did, but nobody mentioned the rollers. I was changing to sliders just as a Hail Mary and discovered the flat spots. I didn’t want to change the contra spring and probably void the warranty so I was saving that for last- which I ended up not needing to do.

Just my .02.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Flat spots on rollers with less than 500 miles is weird. If that's the case.
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

Point37 wrote:read this post as well as the first post in this thread...i would also recommend trying to run the scooter with the gas cap loose or off (if the fuel level is low enough) to see if its a tank venting problem

gas cap vent fix...
I'm going to go out in a few minutes, leaving the gas cap cracked open slightly but after reading some of these problems, I'm beginning to think it might have been a case of overfill. Thinking back, the problem started right after I filled the gas tank all the way up to the metal line of the tank. I've been filling it up like that ever since as well and the problem has beeb occurring regularly since.

If that's the case, what should I do? Fill it half away a few times?
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

Ok, so I rode it around today, same thing. Normal power when cold but then goes down hill quickly. I give it throttle, it takes off alright, hits 20mph or so then loses power until about 37mph and then takes off like a rocket.

I don't know if this will help but, when I got home, I took the cover off the air filter and noticed a few things. One, the inside of the black plastic cover had a visible ring of gas residue on the inside. I could smell it and rubbed my finger on it to be sure, it was definitely gas. Second, on the left side, right below the black rubber ring, the sponge filter was slightly brown and had gas in it as well. Also, the huge black rubber ring itself was COATED with black, sticky goo that I could scrape off. It smelled like gasoline as well. I'm assuming that is just broken down gasoline? Third, there is a little black hose, about four inches or so long that comes out below the entire filter compartment. I noticed that there was a visible line of gas that had been draining out of it as well.

Is all this normal? I thought I read on there once about overfill and it causing problems with the air filter etc.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My 2 cents even though the scooters are different. My 98 Zuma always has gas and a bit of 2 cycle oil inside the air filter, to the point that it gets all over the rear of the transmission cover. Normal as far as Im concerned. Just a bit of blow back from the reed cage assembly. I have stiffer carbon reeds but Im just lazy and have not messed with it. So, the inside of you filter sounds normal to me. My Zuma did the same riding thing. Rode great till it warmed up, then brick wall! Turns out my rear torque driver was dry (not enough grease) and needed a re-grease. Has ran perfect ever since. Yours is still under warranty, so unless you want to check the transmission parts I would find a dealer to look at it.
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

sc00ter wrote:My 2 cents even though the scooters are different. My 98 Zuma always has gas and a bit of 2 cycle oil inside the air filter, to the point that it gets all over the rear of the transmission cover. Normal as far as Im concerned. Just a bit of blow back from the reed cage assembly. I have stiffer carbon reeds but Im just lazy and have not messed with it. So, the inside of you filter sounds normal to me. My Zuma did the same riding thing. Rode great till it warmed up, then brick wall! Turns out my rear torque driver was dry (not enough grease) and needed a re-grease. Has ran perfect ever since. Yours is still under warranty, so unless you want to check the transmission parts I would find a dealer to look at it.
Should someone who just bought a brand new scooter be dealing with these issues though? I don't feel like it's very normal. None of my other scooters (which were purchased new as well) ever needed anything beyond normal user maintenance this soon.

I'm starting to get the feeling that either I've purchased a lemon of the dealership was inept during set up.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Nintari wrote:
sc00ter wrote:My 2 cents even though the scooters are different. My 98 Zuma always has gas and a bit of 2 cycle oil inside the air filter, to the point that it gets all over the rear of the transmission cover. Normal as far as Im concerned. Just a bit of blow back from the reed cage assembly. I have stiffer carbon reeds but Im just lazy and have not messed with it. So, the inside of you filter sounds normal to me. My Zuma did the same riding thing. Rode great till it warmed up, then brick wall! Turns out my rear torque driver was dry (not enough grease) and needed a re-grease. Has ran perfect ever since. Yours is still under warranty, so unless you want to check the transmission parts I would find a dealer to look at it.
Should someone who just bought a brand new scooter be dealing with these issues though? I don't feel like it's very normal. None of my other scooters (which were purchased new as well) ever needed anything beyond normal user maintenance this soon.

I'm starting to get the feeling that either I've purchased a lemon of the dealership was inept during set up.
I felt the same way. I know it doesn’t make sense, but take 20 mins to check your rollers. Nobody told me to do try that when I had my issue- Just change contra spring or grease the clutch are a couple of things I was told. Just order the sliders to replace anyway since you’ll be in the variator. Again, I think it’s worth a shot.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

You have a warranty and you're not using it, so you have to make a choice. Chase down all of our suggestions or break-down and haul it in for warranty. Things fail, break, assembled wrong, you just never know until a problem arises. I know how you feel about not trusting the dealer it came from, and I also feel your pain about having to haul it a good distance to another dealer. Make the choice and start the problem solving, be it doing it yourself or taking it in! I like having warranties and will use them if needed.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Nintari wrote:Should someone who just bought a brand new scooter be dealing with these issues though?
Seems like you dug yourself into this hole. You say you are not very mechanical, yet you do not want to take your new scooter into a dealer to remedy a problem. And to top everything else, you live in the Chicago area which has three Genuine dealers in case you don't like one or two of them. And Scooterworks BTW is the original Genuine dealer and importer of the Buddys. We should all be so lucky.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Dooglas wrote:
Nintari wrote:Should someone who just bought a brand new scooter be dealing with these issues though?
Seems like you dug yourself into this hole. You say you are not very mechanical, yet you do not want to take your new scooter into a dealer to remedy a problem. And to top everything else, you live in the Chicago area which has three Genuine dealers in case you don't like one or two of them. And Scooterworks BTW is the original Genuine dealer and importer of the Buddys. We should all be so lucky.
I'll second the above. You paid for your warranty in the purchase price of your brand new scooter. Issues happen which warranties will correct so stop complaining and use what you paid for.

Bill in Seattle
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Nintari wrote:
If you're talking about MY dealership, as in the place I bought it from, they're crooks and would likely suggest that it was my fault to begin with. I have bad experiences with them from the get-go.
Elaborate please. What experience did you have with them? How long ago did you buy the bike? You say it's brand new, based on mileage, but did you buy it last year, or just recently? If the problem only happened recently, but you already are aggravated with your dealer, what led you to this? Data data data, we cannot build bricks without clay.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

if it's not something easy or it's going to cost you a bunch of money trying to figure out what it is then you may as well take the 1 hour ride to the next dealership and let them fix it...i've driven farther to buy bikes and i drive an hour to work and another hour from from work each day...that's not that far
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Nintari wrote:If you're talking about MY dealership, as in the place I bought it from, they're crooks and would likely suggest that it was my fault to begin with. I have bad experiences with them from the get-go.

The next closet dealership is an hour away and the only way to get there would be taking a large highway or interstate with lots of tolls etc. I'd have to rent a trailer and pay for another axle. It's really a huge hassle.

That's why I came here because I didn't want to have to rely on mechanics. I want to be able to work on my scooter myself. If I knew what was causing this, I could do that but I'm clueless right now. I'd use google but that it never a good route for things as specific as this.
Much as I hate to say it, you need to bring it to your dealer. I don't know what's happened there but you need to start with your dealer. I suggest that you deal with them as politely and honestly as you would like them to deal with you and see what happens. If the dealer does not resolve the situation, then call Genuine directly. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I think many of us have ran into mechanics who seem questionable. But I agree with you: you should not be having to deal with these issues with a brand new scooter. I would not bother looking at the rollers or much else. You can do that with an older scooter needing work. This is a new scooter.
I second the advice of those suggesting that you go to a dealer and get the process started. Make yourself do it. You are entitled to a finely tuned machine. If the dealer really lets you down, after being polite with them and giving them a shot at fixing things, I would contact Genuine. Present yourself calmly and have detailed info. Am rooting for you to get the scooter you want and to enjoy it fully.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

put your phone in your chest shirt pocket and audio record all your interactions with the dealer...if they try to jerk you around, you have it if you have to go directly to genuine...not sure if that violates any laws
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Any outcome yet?
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

JJScoot wrote:Any outcome yet?
Actually yes, sort of. A friend of mine has an old Yamaha Jog which has a primer button installed below the seat. His scooter had been doing the same exact thing as my new Buddy. It takes off fine, hits a wall at around 20mph and then takes off again at some point (mine is around 35mph) and runs fine. Both scooters run fine without issues when cold but soon, when it warms up fully, the issues begin.

I was riding with him the other day and he glanced over at me and yells that he's figured out what's causing his issues. He said, for a lark (he literally knows NOTHING about scooters) that he pressed the primer button while riding and immediately, the scooter acted in the same way as it does mid-speed. It would bog down and lose its pick up.

As soon as he said that, I knew what was wrong with my scooter. I'm running rich. There's too much gas flooding the carb. I haven't adjusted anything yet, but I'm pretty sure if I lessen the gas via the carb, the problem will go away.

Now, I just need some clear cut photos or videos in order to know which screw to turn on the carb and if I can damage my scooter if I do so. If it's something that's too risky, I'm just going to take it in and pay for the adjustment myself. The closet Buddy dealer is so far away from me and through so many toll roads that the cost of taking it there would be about the same as taking into a good, unauthorized dealer near me and paying out of pocket.

Anyway, it's good to know that it's not transmission related and something relatively easy. I was scared there for awhile.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Nintari wrote:
JJScoot wrote:Any outcome yet?
Actually yes, sort of. A friend of mine has an old Yamaha Jog which has a primer button installed below the seat. His scooter had been doing the same exact thing as my new Buddy. It takes off fine, hits a wall at around 20mph and then takes off again at some point (mine is around 35mph) and runs fine. Both scooters run fine without issues when cold but soon, when it warms up fully, the issues begin.

I was riding with him the other day and he glanced over at me and yells that he's figured out what's causing his issues. He said, for a lark (he literally knows NOTHING about scooters) that he pressed the primer button while riding and immediately, the scooter acted in the same way as it does mid-speed. It would bog down and lose its pick up.

As soon as he said that, I knew what was wrong with my scooter. I'm running rich. There's too much gas flooding the carb. I haven't adjusted anything yet, but I'm pretty sure if I lessen the gas via the carb, the problem will go away.

Now, I just need some clear cut photos or videos in order to know which screw to turn on the carb and if I can damage my scooter if I do so. If it's something that's too risky, I'm just going to take it in and pay for the adjustment myself. The closet Buddy dealer is so far away from me and through so many toll roads that the cost of taking it there would be about the same as taking into a good, unauthorized dealer near me and paying out of pocket.

Anyway, it's good to know that it's not transmission related and something relatively easy. I was scared there for awhile.
here you go...from some of the other posts in the below thread it sound like you have to get it just right...if that isn't the issue check to make sure there isn't a hole in the carb float or the float and needle valve are installed correctly

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic17121.html#352739

page 77
http://modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy125_service_manual.pdf
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I'm still not getting this story. The bike is new. You say you know next to nothing about scooters mechanically. Your friend (who also knows basically nothing mechanically you say) thinks your carb needs to be adjusted. Maybe he is right. Maybe the carb (or another component) has a different problem than a simple adjustment - like a bit of crud in the main jet. Why don't you want to take the scooter into a dealer and have the problem addressed? This has been going on for quite a while now.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

A lot of problems have the same symptoms.

I had a very similar issue, and it turned out it was the coil.

Did you do a plug cut to see if it really is running rich? Carbs are a very tricky thing to get right, and I'd advise against messing with it. Understand, there's some bad consequences if you screw up your new scoot - like burning out the valves or piston.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Point37 wrote: here you go...from some of the other posts in the below thread it sound like you have to get it just right...if that isn't the issue check to make sure there isn't a hole in the carb float or the float and needle valve are installed correctly

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic17121.html#352739

page 77
http://modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy125_service_manual.pdf
Is the carb on a 50cc the same as a 125cc? Or are the "similar enough"?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

JettaKnight wrote:Is the carb on a 50cc the same as a 125cc? Or are the "similar enough"?
No, the 50 has a 2T engine of different design.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dooglas wrote:I'm still not getting this story. The bike is new. You say you know next to nothing about scooters mechanically. Your friend (who also knows basically nothing mechanically you say) thinks your carb needs to be adjusted. Maybe he is right. Maybe the carb (or another component) has a different problem than a simple adjustment - like a bit of crud in the main jet. Why don't you want to take the scooter into a dealer and have the problem addressed? This has been going on for quite a while now.
In my experience rejetting a 2 stroke motor 15 times is always required before finding out what the problem is.

Seriously, give us the straight story. If you bought it "new" from someone other than the dealer, you would be the second owner, there is no warranty, it does not transfer. Tell us...we will help.

If you are under warranty take it to any Genuine dealer. Remember,,,if you go messing around in there and it turns out to be something you messed with...warranty will not cover it.

Just take it to the frak dealer.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL