Old Buddy, Any potential?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sobo_buddy

Old Buddy, Any potential?

Post by sobo_buddy »

I have an older (2007) Buddy St. Tropez. I am terrible owner and once i had kids it has sat in my garage with about 1200 miles on it. It's been about 2 year since we've done anything with it.

So my question is, is there any value left in it and is there potential someone could bring it back to life? I've had a few inquiries from friends lately, but I don't want to sell/give them something that is junk/parts.

Thanks.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

you could probably get it started yourself...
1 drain fuel
2 add new fuel
3 add seafoam to fuel
4 try to charge battery and start or try to kick start or try to use jumper cables from a car and and try to jump start using a car battery

could need a new battery or may need a carburetor cleaning...maybe a spark plug but that can be checked somewhat...all depends on how you make out with the above 4 items...with small engine work you always start with the easy stuff and move in a logical order to the next possible thing to check
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Buddy 50, or 125? Either way, you'll need to drain all fluids and clean the carb thoroughly. New Fuel filter probably, and new battery (or kick start). Assuming it wasn't beat up too badly before being stored, you should be able to bring it back given the low mileage.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Sitting for 2 years is going to take more than fresh fuel and seafoam. If you're looking to sell, it will be worth two to three times as much if it is a running street worthy bike.

Take a look at this: http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... n+125+carb
Last edited by DeeDee on Tue May 08, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PistolPete7390

Re: Old Buddy, Any potential?

Post by PistolPete7390 »

sobo_buddy wrote:I have an older (2007) Buddy St. Tropez. I am terrible owner and once i had kids it has sat in my garage with about 1200 miles on it. It's been about 2 year since we've done anything with it.

So my question is, is there any value left in it and is there potential someone could bring it back to life? I've had a few inquiries from friends lately, but I don't want to sell/give them something that is junk/parts.

Thanks.
Last edited by PistolPete7390 on Wed May 09, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sobo_buddy

Post by sobo_buddy »

Wow!! Thank you all for your replies.

I would have kept it going except for the kids and the country roads we moved out to. I think I'll have to take a look and talk to some mechanics.

It was in great condition before we stashed it in the garage. Trying to make room for the kids toys now.
rodneydnelson

Post by rodneydnelson »

I also have a 2007 St.Tropez. I've used it a little more than you, but in 11 years I've only totaled 6,000 miles. It runs great. Anyway, I'm sure with new fluids and seafoam yours will run just fine. i'm assuming that you didn't put any stabilizer in the fuel when you stored it, so that carb may need a good clean.

Good Luck!!
rodneydnelson

Post by rodneydnelson »

Sobo_buddy, I also just noticed that you joined this forum 2 days before i did back in 2008.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

St. Tropez, otherwise known as the "Levi's" edition of genuine.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Oh things in life happen and sometimes other things need more attention than our scooters. No really...that does happen...sometimes...to some people!

Tough to kill a Buddy. Get a battery, change fluids, clean the carb, fresh gas and oil, spark plug, check tires, go ride!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL