the new Vespa S

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

polianarchy

the new Vespa S

Post by polianarchy »

So...there's this new scooter out from Vespa, called the S. Is that "S" as in "special" or in "smallframe"? Who knows. (Do you know? Do tell!) It's pretty much amazing-looking, as seen here: http://www.vespausa.com/Products/VespaS.cfm. Anyone on here see it in person yet? And if so, can you tell me if you think this is Vespa trying to usurp the Buddy's market?! Hmmm??? Paranoid conspiracy theorists want to know.
ModBud #442
Legend

Post by Legend »

I have not seen the S in person but it looks alot like the older hondas.

At a bit over 4000 bucks for the Vespa, I doubt it is going to upsurp the Buddy very much.
"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

call me crazy but if i shell out 4 grand for a vespa it had damn-well better have a round headlight
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Really? Square headlights are AWESOME! Some of my best friends are squares.
ModBud #442
Hey Buddy

Post by Hey Buddy »

I have seen it in person. It does look very nice. I like the seat, it looks very sporty. I however do not like the square headlight. I would agree, the front end does look like an old Honda.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

robonz23 wrote:call me crazy but if i shell out 4 grand for a vespa it had damn-well better have a round headlight
I agree, personally I dont like it, all the new vespas dont have the classic headlight, they all seem to point upward slightly, plus it being square through me off. I dont see why they cant use frames like the used to in the 60's 70's but with new tech. I'd rather pay 4-5k for a classic bike with a new 150cc cvt engine in it.
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

Ive seen it at at motorcycle show and its pretty amazing. I didnt know what to think about it when I first viewed the pictures, but its really nice in person. Definatly my favorite modern Vespa. Id like to see a performance comparison between the S and the Buddy.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: the new Vespa S

Post by illnoise »

polianarchy wrote:So...there's this new scooter out from Vespa, called the S. Is that "S" as in "special" or in "smallframe"? Who knows.
"S" as in "Special" as in "50 Special", the old vespa model that it very closely resembles:

http://volkscooters.com/pdtfoto/101005x.jpg
http://www.vesparesources.com/albums/Le ... MG0290.jpg

note the square headlight and the horncasting.

Square headlight haters just don't know their Vespa history. : )

Several vintage Vespa models (180SS, 50S, Sprint, and the GT) had square or trapezoidal headlights. So in fact, all you Vespa Granturismo riders have it wrong, your bikes SHOULD have a trapezoidal headlight.

It looks awesome in photos, but I'm allergic to plastic chrome. I sort of fear I might break down and buy one sooner or later, though, it's the only modern Vespa that's made me drool.

Bb.
Last edited by illnoise on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I do agree it's one of the nicest vespas they have churned out in their "new" bikes, but the headlight doesnt work for me.
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

I sort of fear I might break down and buy one sooner or later, though, it's the only modern Vespa that's made me drool.
Im with you. If they release an orange one I might be tempted to trade my buddy in. I think the headlight looks badass. They did a great job of capturing the sprit of the original design.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

I took a pic at the IMS show.
-K

She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Sunil wrote:Im with you. If they release an orange one I might be tempted to trade my buddy in. I think the headlight looks badass. They did a great job of capturing the sprit of the original design.
I heard there was an orange one on display at the Milan show, but I just looked and it's not available in Europe, either. So there's hope. I love orange, too, or 1970s Peacock blue!

Weird that Vespa's still rocking their "60th anniversary" logo on their site, even though it was two years ago.

Bb.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Kevin K wrote:I took a pic at the IMS show.
See now, seeing it with a person on it, it doesn't look as good. Old Vespas (like the Buddy) were tiny and dangerous, it just looks too big to me when you drop a person on it.

Bb.
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

I remember it feeling buddy sized when I sat on it but I could be wrong.
The instument cluster it nice too
Attachments
vespaS-panel.jpg
vespaS-panel.jpg (20.94 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

The cluster looks like something out of star trek. I miss the old clustered into a oval speedos.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Sunil wrote:I remember it feeling buddy sized when I sat on it but I could be wrong.
The instument cluster it nice too
Again, it looks fantastic, but I just know that plastic fake chome would look like junk after a couple years parked in the sun. Why couldn't they spend a couple extra bucks and put some real chrome on it? The Stella is proof that people will pay for details like that (compared to the Bajaj). I guess people just don't even realize it's plastic when they buy it.

Bb.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Don't you folks think that Genuine should make an "S" model Buddy? With a rectangular headlight, some snazzy graphics, performance suspension, performance exhaust, rear disk brake, breathed-on motor and solo seat with white piping?

Seriously!!! :twisted:
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Legend wrote:I have not seen the S in person but it looks alot like the.
I've seen it and it actually looks better in person. I like the seat and it's a good size overall. The chrome instruments are on the verge of being cheesy but I think I like them. I really hated the look of the S when it was first announced but the more I see it in person the more it grows on me. I thought it looked like a Honda Spree too but turns out honda design their Spree after an older model Vespa ...lol
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

illnoise wrote:
See now, seeing it with a person on it, it doesn't look as good. Old Vespas (like the Buddy) were tiny and dangerous, it just looks too big to me when you drop a person on it.

Bb.
Agreed...it's that thick legshield! :roll:

And it is supposedly just an inch bigger than the Buddy, seat-height sizewise. I guess I'll just need to trot over to the Other Scooter Shop and check it out.

Not like I can afford this anymore than I can afford the Stella...sigh....
ModBud #442
Legend

Post by Legend »

jrsjr wrote:Don't you folks think that Genuine should make an "S" model Buddy? With a rectangular headlight, some snazzy graphics, performance suspension, performance exhaust, rear disk brake, breathed-on motor and solo seat with white piping?

Ya know, I have given this some pretty good thought and your right... I could care less about graphics. You want graphics, do like Vespa and offer them as an option. What I would really like to see is a Stella with the auto trans and non-mixed fuel option. So a Stella design and the convience and eco-friendleness of the regular fuel. Rear disc would be nice though as would a bit more storage and a slightly bigger design for us bigger riders.
"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
BGK

Post by BGK »

Legend wrote: Ya know, I have given this some pretty good thought and your right... I could care less about graphics. You want graphics, do like Vespa and offer them as an option. What I would really like to see is a Stella with the auto trans and non-mixed fuel option. So a Stella design and the convience and eco-friendleness of the regular fuel. Rear disc would be nice though as would a bit more storage and a slightly bigger design for us bigger riders.
Piaggio already did this. It's called an GTS.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Legend wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Don't you folks think that Genuine should make an "S" model Buddy? With a rectangular headlight, some snazzy graphics, performance suspension, performance exhaust, rear disk brake, breathed-on motor and solo seat with white piping?

Ya know, I have given this some pretty good thought and your right... I could care less about graphics. You want graphics, do like Vespa and offer them as an option. What I would really like to see is a Stella with the auto trans and non-mixed fuel option. So a Stella design and the convience and eco-friendleness of the regular fuel. Rear disc would be nice though as would a bit more storage and a slightly bigger design for us bigger riders.
To me that justw ouldn't be a Stella
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I guess I don't have the "purist's" mind about scoots, but if they sold a Stella 125/150 with a 4-stroke auto engine, you better believe I would sell my Buddy one of THOSE! :shock:

looks AND practicality? it's the perfect scooter. 8)
FLMINI1048

Post by FLMINI1048 »

KRUSTYburger wrote:... if they sold a Stella 125/150 with a 4-stroke auto engine, you better believe I would sell my Buddy one of THOSE! :shock:
Does the Bajaj come as an automatic? If so, there's your bike!
Have a great day!

Mike
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I think after 2007 bajaj stopped making the chetaks and sold off their company. You can still find many of them for 2500-2800 new sitting in some dealers.

I wouldnt go for a chetak though, it may look similar to a px150/stella but there are many differences which cant be hidden even if modded with px/stella parts.

I've seen some people mod the horn cast and turn signals with px/stella parts and it does look almost just like a stella, but the cowls cant be modded, and the head unit itself cant be modded either, the tachometer is "futuristic" looking.

I thought about a chetak before I got my buddy, but because they are no longer made and no one sells them around here, I went for a classicy modern bike. The buddy :)

I'm sure for 2009 or 2010 genuine will import LML scooters as the stella or some other new model, they use the same frame, but they have automatic transmission in 150 and 250cc.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I like the Chetak, it's a bit dif from the Stella (can't quite put my finger on it, but I like the look of the Stella better for some reason). Prolly has something to do with the headlight/mirrors. Chetak 150 is not auto :( . Buddy makes more sense, and because it is a growing name rather that a dis-continued model, I'm thinking parts should be easier to find... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY BUDDY!!! :mrgreen: It's the LUV BUD. :wink:
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'd rather have a stella too, but because of money and it being manual, I chose the buddy, the buddy having many similar qualities is what made me fall for it.
aruntoo

Post by aruntoo »

I've seen a black Vespa S and it's a sharp looking ride. You don't get the glovebox like you would on a LX but the gauge cluster is a lot nicer IMO. I also like the styling of the sport seat.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Cant really put much more storage on a px/stella when the body design is based off a 30 year old scooter, nothing would fit down there because of the oil and gas tanks. Too bad the stella isnt made by PGO or else it would probably get better gas mileage and be automatic, the bike is already great quality, but think about how a vespa vs a buddy in gas, the buddy gets about 20 more mpg.

I would love to see a 250cc stella come state side, or any bike churned out from genuine that looks like a stella/px with a bigger engine.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I liked the "S" as soon as I saw the first pictures, especially in black or white. I took a look at a black one in the flesh for the first time today when I took my bike in to have the chain checked. For me, it's even better looking in person. Love the seat, love the headlight and love the slimmer, trimmer shape.

Didn't realize all the chrome was plastic though. Not sure that's a deal killer but I too would be concerned about durability.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I love the Vespa S. If I hadn't bought my LX, was in the market, and had the money, I'd seriously consider the S. I really like the square headlight (and if/when I go vintage, I might get a Vespa Super with a square light). The black seats with white piping seats are beautiful and the instrument console is pretty damn cool. Even without the graphics, it's a really smart-looking scoot. When I saw it, I tried to figure what it would take to put the headset of an S onto my LX (too much).

The S isn't much less expensive than the LX ($200 less). Oddly enough, it's more expensive in Europe (because it's... special?).
KRUSTYburger wrote:I guess I don't have the "purist's" mind about scoots, but if they sold a Stella 125/150 with a 4-stroke auto engine, you better believe I would sell my Buddy one of THOSE! :shock:

looks AND practicality? it's the perfect scooter. 8)
Well, how about a 4-stroke 250cc manual Stella? It just might happen.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

illnoise wrote:

Bb.
This look better? :D
Attachments
Buddy Raton...or is it Vespa Raton?
Buddy Raton...or is it Vespa Raton?
267658154_LD5EW-M.jpg (79.73 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Christy

Post by Christy »

i love this scooter.

When I go test ride the Pamplona on Tuesday, IF I'm uncomfortable riding it and decide not to buy it, then the Vespa S is the next one on the list to consider.

I love the look of it! The square headlight is my favorite part!
EPSP #76
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

Christy wrote:
When I go test ride the Pamplona on Tuesday, IF I'm uncomfortable riding it and decide not to buy it, then the Vespa S is the next one on the list to consider.
I test drove a pamplona while my own buddy was getting her stebel installed, and it was wonderful. So smooth, bit more growl, i was in love instantly. Then i reminded myself i <3 the orange... (and its paid for :roll:)
Christy

Post by Christy »

weaseltamer wrote:I test drove a pamplona while my own buddy was getting her stebel installed, and it was wonderful. So smooth, bit more growl, i was in love instantly. Then i reminded myself i <3 the orange... (and its paid for :roll:)
I think I'm going to love it too!!!
EPSP #76
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

polianarchy wrote:
illnoise wrote:

Bb.
Agreed...it's that thick legshield! :roll:.............
I like the leg shield thing .... in the pic of just the scoot I thaught it had almost no shield
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Well, the only things I dislike about the Buddy are it's narrow legshield and lack of cowls. At least the Vespa has cowls, but that legshield doesn't look like much of an improvement on the last few years of models. I'm gonna check it out today, so I'll report back to y'all.
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:Well, the only things I dislike about the Buddy are it's narrow legshield and lack of cowls. At least the Vespa has cowls, but that legshield doesn't look like much of an improvement on the last few years of models. I'm gonna check it out today, so I'll report back to y'all.
The width of the legshield is the same as on the Vespa LX. Bigger than a small frame, smaller than a GT or GTS. The differences between the S and LX legshields the lack of a glovebox and the different horn cover.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Here's a drawing from the Christian Science Monitor story:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0321/csmi ... R_G1_L.gif

clearly, the illustrator merged the rider and bike in photoshop, because the proportion is way off. But it looks so much cooler that way, like the size of a real Vespa smallframe.

I'm a big guy, but I still love smallframes, and even my '65 Vespa 150 is small, compared to just about any modern scooter, even a 50cc Vino. It's like when you see a new Mini or Beetle, you think it's small, but when you put it next to an old Mini or Beetle, you realize it's not really small at all.

I love my blur, it's a good size and comfortable and reliable and well-engineered, it can stop on a dime and ride circles around my Vespas, but there's a certain affinity with the road on old small, metal, geared scooters that's missing with all the twist-and-gos. The Stella's the closest you can get these days, but even that's a good deal bigger than a 60s Vespa.

I don't think Vespa will ever recapture that, no one will, it's just not legal anymore, luckily there are still vintage bikes to ride when I feel the need. It's so nice to have both old and new, because they both have their merits, for sure.

Bb.
maryvu

Post by maryvu »

I stopped in at Seattle Vespa the other day, and I LOVE the 'S.' I like the more vintage lines, the headlight, the glove compartments and the dash. It's a hot scoot. If I didn't already have a Buddy, and 2 Stellas at my disposal (not to mention 4K!), I'd add it to the garage. I'd get a white one.

Re: automatic Stellas? uhhh... The Stella is what it is: a 2-stroke, heavy, manual shifting hunk of steel. She is impractical in many ways: storage, emissions, top speed. She's pretty low-tech (except for the front disc brake!) and not the quietest on the block. While she does get 70mpg, all told...you can get a scoot that does everything better and easier. And if you go Vespa, you can even get a Steel one.

Shifting isn't the easiest. It takes time, lots of practice--and hey, you may even dump the poor girl in the process. But once you get it... oh my! the feeling of clunking through the gears without the slightest lurch, achieving the perfect start on a hill, listening to the engine and shifting gears to keep the engine speed revving along at just the right rpm...is almost zen-like. And those dents and scratches you inflicted on her become scars that are just part of her personality. In my mind, the Stella isn't a new scoot. It's not a Vespa, and not not exactly a clone either. It's born-again, paying homage to some of the coolest 2-wheeled bikes ever.

Anyway, this is a buddy forum. So, love the Buddy because you can load him (mine's a him), make him go fast, swap panels, paint him and make him your very own.

As for Stella, learn to shift, accept her limitations and LOVE her for all that a modern scoot isn't. (if you hop over to Stellaspeed, you will realize that there are many ways to get around those limitations...)

whoa...didn't intend to wax poetic about scooter this morning, but sometimes you also have to accept the fact that you really have the scooter bug.
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Legend wrote:

To me that justw ouldn't be a Stella
Agreed. That's pretty much all the things that make a Stella a Stella.
I have the scoots!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

poop colored buddy wrote:Agreed. That's pretty much all the things that make a Stella a Stella.
I like it the way it is, but lots of people would like it better with a 250cc 4-stroke engine. And California can't sell the 2-stroke, so the 4-stroke will be huge there, they've been begging for it for ages.

As far as "that's a Bajaj," we all know it's not the same. BajajUSA didn't have the clout or money to get the styling right, and even a 4-stroke Stella will have much more in common with the Vespa PX as far as parts and accessories and such. And Genuine is just way more on the ball than BajajUSA was.

I don't think we'll see an automatic Stella, but who knows? I'd hate to think anyone didn't buy a Stella because it was a manual transmission, it really adds a ton of fun to the experience, and it's cake to learn.

Bb.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

That was just beautiful, maryvu. It's really gotten me thinking.
ModBud #442
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

illnoise wrote: Again, it looks fantastic, but I just know that plastic fake chome would look like junk after a couple years parked in the sun. Why couldn't they spend a couple extra bucks and put some real chrome on it?
What makes you think that? After nearly two years, the only chrome bits on my B125 that are starting to look trashed are the mirrors, which happen to be "real" chrome. All the plastic still looks great...
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I hear what all you guys are sayin' about how the Stella just wouldn't be Stella if it was a 150cc auto. It is pretty much my DREAM SCOOTER as far as looks go (then comes the C3... :shock: ... :oops: ), but I never learned how to shift, so it wasn't really an option for me :( . Plus this is NOT a scooter friendly area at all as far as speed goes. I guess maybe Genuine could just come up something that looks exactly like a Stella that is 150 automatic & just call it something else? Just for me? But then it would be a disgrace to scoots everywhere... God just doesn't want me to have a classic scooter I guess :( . (or I just need to move somewhere else & get someone to teach me how to ride a shifter). Not too many options here...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

vitaminC wrote:
illnoise wrote: Again, it looks fantastic, but I just know that plastic fake chome would look like junk after a couple years parked in the sun. Why couldn't they spend a couple extra bucks and put some real chrome on it?
What makes you think that? After nearly two years, the only chrome bits on my B125 that are starting to look trashed are the mirrors, which happen to be "real" chrome. All the plastic still looks great...
Chromified plastic often doesn't age well and sometimes starts to peel, depending on how it's applied. I hope those gauges on the S last longer than the faux-chrome on the newer (plastic) Vespa legshield badges. Fuh!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

So if you like the Vespa S, what do you think about the Vespa GTS Super 300ie? No kiddin', it's real. And it has black wheels!

rajron

Post by rajron »

That’s more like it.

If your going to wish for something, wish big
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I wish for Vespa GT60 8) , Who's with me?!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Meh...I don't care for big. I'm so very small, you see. If I were to wish for a scooter, any scooter, it would be an old Vespa Primavera 125ET3...that's running. *le sigh* Barring that, 2008 Stella, plzkthnx. I don't want the Vespa S anymore. It doesn't compare to the Stella, IMHO.
ModBud #442