Honda Super Cub and Monkeybike Coming to USA!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Honda Super Cub and Monkeybike Coming to USA!

Post by jrsjr »

It's true! The Super Cub C125 and the Money 125 are both coming back to the USA. According to the release I read, Honda are saying the Monkey will be available October 2018 for $3999 ($4199 for the ABS model) and the Super Cub C125 ABS will be available January 2019 for $3599.

Want!

P.S. For CARB watchers, the Monkey and Super Cub use the same motor as the Grom, so all Honda will have to do is file for an amendment to the standing CARB Executive Orders for the Grom and CARB will simply stamp this document as "SUPERSEDED" and then release a new Executive Order listing the Grom, Monkey and Super Cub. Easy Peasy!
Attachments
Honda Super Cub
Honda Super Cub
Honda Super Cub.JPG (76.7 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Gee, a new Super Cub. One of those (a 50cc Cub) was my very first scooter over 50 years ago - my very first motorized ride of any kind. It will be very tempting to put one of these in the garage.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

That Super Cub is kinda cool!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I really like the design and colors of the one in the photo!

Now if they would just bring over the X-ADV too.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I wish they would bring over the Cross Cub.
Attachments
crosscub.jpg
crosscub.jpg (31.94 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

sc00ter wrote:That Super Cub is kinda cool!
Yeah! That is a neat bike.
Tempted to put one of those in the garage, as well. :)
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

'Tis true, a thing of beauty is a joy forever. So sad that our streets are jammed with single occupant monstrosities instead of these.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Liking everything about it but the red seat. I liked it's 'clone', the SYM Symba but wasn't in a position to buy one when they were around. Guess I'm gonna have to start putting $$ away....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Groms are cool, but I like the new monkey bike better.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Christophers

Post by Christophers »

"While the Monkey is busy soaking up all the attention, the Cub stays in the background, far more practical. And beautiful."

+1
Attachments
19_Honda_Super_Cub_C125_ABS_headlight.jpg
19_Honda_Super_Cub_C125_ABS_headlight.jpg (51.76 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
19_Honda_Super_Cub_C125_ABS_front_wheel.jpg
19_Honda_Super_Cub_C125_ABS_front_wheel.jpg (55.34 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I may have made more of a effort to go to the Crawl this year if I knew the new Honda's were gonna be there. We also had AmeriVespa here also. I dont relly care for vintage scooters so I passed on AmeriVespa and I ride everyday so the Crawl did not appeal to me, but a chance to see the Monkey and Cub would have possibly motivated me. Oh well, wait for the dealer to get them I guess.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I am definitely interested in taking a look at the Super Cub, I think the 125cc engine will be a nice size for it.

As an owner of 2 older Cubs (1981 C70 Passports) one thing that stands out to me about this new on is how much technology it has. Granted, the bike has moved on during the 30+ years it has been away form the US market, but one of the things I always have appreciated about the older Cubs is how simple their design is and how easy they are to work on. The 2019 model has a smart key, fuel injection, front wheel ABS brakes, digital interments and electric seat release. This isn't say the tech is bad, just that they aren't the first things to come to my mind when I think Honda Cub. I am a little suspicious of the long term reliability the added tech though. My Cubs are 37 years old and other than the occasional oil change, tune up, carb clean and new battery they have been trouble free. The yellow one even survived years of being ridding over and into just about everything board farm kids could find.

I noticed on Honda's site that the 2019 Super Cub is going to be available in "limited quantities," I wonder how limited.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I wonder how the handling of the Monkey will compare to the Grom? I have sold some bikes this spring and have been toying with the idea of getting a Grom for a bit of fun. I like the look of the Monkey better than the Grom, but wonder if there is any form over function in the Monkey's case.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qxYLYY5_954" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

babblefish wrote:<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qxYLYY5_954" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
He had the bike right in front of him! Why didn't he do a test ride?
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

In the video he says that the Super Cub is a one seater but in all the other pictures there are fold down rear pegs for a passenger. Which is it Honda?

I would hope that they make it a two seater.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I wonder if Honda might offer a second seat as an accessory like the one in this picture. If frame has the fold down passenger pegs it seems likely it also has fittings for second seat attachment. Even if Honda doesn't offer it here it probably wouldn't be too hard ordered one form overseas since it is such a common bike.

Having ridden an older Super Cub with a single seat I can definitely say if you are a taller person having a second (or a double) seat gives you many more options for finding a comfortable seating position.
Attachments
cubseat_2.jpg
cubseat_2.jpg (121.01 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Just talked to my local Honda motorcycle dealer and they say they're expecting to receive a bunch of the Monkey bikes in October, 2018. Only colors available will be yellow and red. Price will be about $4K. I wonder if they'll offer test rides...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gj-vFb_Qgk0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>