Yamaha C3 Purchase

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Yamaha C3 Purchase

Post by skipper20 »

Took the leap this past Saturday and bought a very nice-running dealer-maintained red '09 with 1,890 miles from the original owner. Paid a bit over KBB mainly because it was in showroom condition and the low mileage. Pictures to follow. BTW, there doesn't seem to be much of a Yamaha C3 user's forum out there so knowing there's a couple of C3 owners or former owners on this forum, I may jump in now and then and ask some questions. Hope the rest of you don't mind.

Bill in Seattle
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Congrats! Glad to hear you are back on the road. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Hey Bill, good score. You should join the Facebook C3 user group. A lot of good information there. I became nervous when my first one hit 20,000 miles so I replaced it. The one I replaced it with is about to turn 23,000. I'm shooting for 40k unless I find a smoking deal on a low mileage one. Then again, I may keep both.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

C3's are cool! Congrats!
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

DeeDee wrote:Hey Bill, good score. You should join the Facebook C3 user group. A lot of good information there. I became nervous when my first one hit 20,000 miles so I replaced it. The one I replaced it with is about to turn 23,000. I'm shooting for 40k unless I find a smoking deal on a low mileage one. Then again, I may keep both.
I did check out the C3 user's group FB page but other than a bunch of C3s for sale ads, some of them 2 years old, not much on there. I was trying to find out where I can buy a windshield for my C3 as well as the chrome rack that fits on the trunk lid.

Bill in Seattle
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The value of that group comes in the search function. That and asking specific questions. I've been real happy with this windshield: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Large-19 ... WYUs7#rwid

The rear chrome rack is becoming harder to find. They cost over $100 if you can find one.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

DeeDee wrote:The value of that group comes in the search function. That and asking specific questions. I've been real happy with this windshield: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Large-19 ... WYUs7#rwid
Did you experience any increase in top end speed?

Bill in Seattle
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I can easily get mine up to 45. Hills I used to climb at 20, I now climb at 35. No decrease in reliability, slight decrease in gas mileage. They are heavily restricted coming into the US. I've perfected getting the most power from the engine to the back wheel.

Windshield alone makes the ride a lot more enjoyable. Don't know if it adds to top speed or not.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

skipper20 wrote:
DeeDee wrote:The value of that group comes in the search function. That and asking specific questions. I've been real happy with this windshield: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Large-19 ... WYUs7#rwid
Did you experience any increase in top end speed?

Bill in Seattle
At $40 shipping included that windshield is a real bargain. Fits perfectly and holds up well to vibration notwithstanding some of the reviews. Thanks for the lead. Now, for that elusive chrome rear rack. It’s gotta be out there somewhere.

Bill in Seattle
‘09 Yamaha C3
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The brackets that moount to the handlebars are crap. The originals lasted about 6 mohths. I used the cheap aluminum mirror brackets off ebay, but they would also break after 6 months. I bought a set of chrome strap mirror brackets and fit them to work with 10mm bolts. These should last for a good long time.
Attachments
chromebracket.jpeg
chromebracket.jpeg (96.71 KiB) Viewed 841 times