Genuine Buddy 50 scooter. Rear wheel removal, need help!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TroutBum

Genuine Buddy 50 scooter. Rear wheel removal, need help!

Post by TroutBum »

From the Modern Vespa forum. Member is not able to register here do to registration issues. Here is the post he made on Modern Vespa:

I know it's not a Vespa but if anybody also happens to have a Genuine Buddy 50 scooter and can tell me what all it takes to remove the rear wheel I would be forever grateful.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Have your friend go to this thread and download the PDF titled BRAKES.PDF. That has the best pictorial I can find on removing the rear wheel. My only complaint was the author didn't mention the size of the main wheel nut. I looked it up and it's either a 14mm or a 16mm. The author of the PDF probably didn't have a socket that large so he used a monkey wrench with a torque extender to get that nut off. The PDF shows how he did it.

The basic procedure is to remove the exhaust from the bike then remove the rear wheel nut and slide the wheel off the axle.

To do that, remove the two 6mm nuts that hold the exhaust to the cylinder head. Then, as shown in the PDF, there are three nuts which have to be removed to release the exhaust from the rear of the bike.

Then, remove the (14mm or 16mm) nut that holds the rear wheel on. Then, as shown in the PDF, you have to carefully work the rear wheel off the splines.

Reassemble in reverse.
Torque that rear axle nut to 11-13 kg-m (80-94 ft-lbs)
Torque the exhaust nuts on the cylinder head to 1.0-1.2 kg-m (7.2-8.6 ft-lbs)

The Genuine Service Manual states the standard torque values for the 10 and 12 mm nuts (the other exhaust-mount nuts) are as follows:
10mm bolt and nut 3.4-4.04 10mm bolt and nut 3.4-4.0 (24.5-29 ft-lbs)
12mm bolt and nut 5.0-6.0 kg-m (36-43 ft-lbs)