Looking for an Air Leak

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

HanShan

Looking for an Air Leak

Post by HanShan »

So I have been trying to find an air leak in my 2013 Blur to see if that could be the source of my funky RPMs, at idle and at speed.

I sprayed carb cleaner around some of the seams while idling but no change in RPMs. I am not sure I have hit it in all the possible places though. I will have a camera later today and will post pictures where I sprayed, but mostly on the top after taking off the seat and cat carrier.

I am doing this because my Buddy Dealer said there might be an air leak.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

Nobody? Anybody?
scootbwh

Post by scootbwh »

Same - I think I may have this issue.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

How much does your idle vary? Mine seems better but still between 1400 and 2000.
scootbwh

Post by scootbwh »

HanShan wrote:How much does your idle vary? Mine seems better but still between 1400 and 2000.
I don't have an idle variance issue really (mine stays around 1800-2000) or so when warmed, however sometimes when warming up it revs pretty high before settling down. Similarly, if I twist the throttle, it will hang for a good minute or so at high rpms before it fully makes it way back to idle speed.

Don't ask why I tried this, but I did...
When it was idling really high after revving it, I switched the ignition switch off for half a second and turned it back on...just enough time that the motor didn't turn completely off. It idled like it should after doing that. Why? I don't know. Its repeatable too.

These things have been a PITA.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Sounds similar to what I have been experiencing. Mine will at times decide to idle around 2k/2100rpm. This often happens after I have been riding for a while. Lately it happens at startup and I also have a lot of popping/backfire type sounds with a closed throttle and as I slow from speed. When it idles normally, no such sounds with a closed throttle. Normal idle for me is 1500-1700 rpm.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

chickdr wrote:Sounds similar to what I have been experiencing. Mine will at times decide to idle around 2k/2100rpm. This often happens after I have been riding for a while. Lately it happens at startup and I also have a lot of popping/backfire type sounds with a closed throttle and as I slow from speed. When it idles normally, no such sounds with a closed throttle. Normal idle for me is 1500-1700 rpm.
Wondering, since your voltage regulator died, that it might have been part of the issue? I sold my blur so no idea.
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

Mine does the occasional "up-idle" thing as well, and like chickdr, it occurs when coming to a stop after running awhile. Only trick I've found to knock the revs back down is to blip the throttle. That usually takes care of it. At least it doesn't hurt the scoot in any way, nor does it happen all that often. Maybe it's just the Blur's way of showing how excited it is to be ridden - chomping at the bit!
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

After having the issue posted in another thread with my voltage regulator burning up, I am going to throw out the possibility of this being the cause of the idle fluctuations. I propose it may have been on its way out so was causing issues. I just got mine back today with a new voltage regulator installed and it is running like new. $110 part.