Rear running light only works when the low beam is on.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootERIK

Rear running light only works when the low beam is on.

Post by scootERIK »

If I have the headlight on the low beam the rear running light works, but as soon as I flip the headlight switch to the high beam the rear running light goes out. Also, with the low beam on the light in the dash is on, but when I turn on the high beam the light in the dash goes out and the high beam indicator light comes on. The brake light works. The headlight works, both the high beam and low beam. Turn signals work, as do the hazards.

I run the high beam all the time, not sure if that matters. Also, there is a small chance that the problem started after a recent engine swap.

Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong or how to fix it? I will be doing some more testing tomorrow to see if I can figure what the problem is but would appreciate any suggestions on what to test or look at.

Thanks,
Erik
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

I'm going to play Click 'n Clack here and say...

"Tell me that the high beam doesn't work, so my theory fits."

(cue Tommy's snorting guffaw)

Anyways, it sounds like a short circuit. The headlight, the gauge lamp and the taillight are all powered directly from the stator. I'd have to look at the wiring diagram, but that's my theory.

Is this a non-standard headlamp? I can't recall, but I believe the high and low wattage is about the same on a stock lamp, just where the filament is positioned is different.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

The headlight is a 35w/35w and yes I believe that the high/low is just positioning.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Check the wiring diagram, and do some digging. Methinks you have a disconnected/crossed wire somewhere

http://www.modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy125 ... manual.pdf