Buddy 125 Front brake problem

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

itpphoto

Buddy 125 Front brake problem

Post by itpphoto »

Hi everybody, After a lengthy divorce I finally got custody of my 2009 Buddy 125 which only has 74 miles on it. I cleaned the carb and got it running BUT the front brake is not working.
The brake handle does nothing, it's just loose and the caliper was locked to the point of the pads smoking when I took it for a short ride. When I tried to remove the caliper it was stuck to the rotor, I opened the bleeder and nothing came out. My guess is something went wrong from sitting even though it was stored in a heated garage.

Any ideas ?
Thanks, Frank
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Caliper is seized. I had this happen on a Zuma last year. I bought a used caliper off ebay, flushed and bled the system. It's been working fine ever since.
It comes off the for with two 12mm bolts. You can undo those, and see if the caliper will wiggle off the rotor. I doubt you will be able to free it up. Use a composite or cedar shim to see if you can pry the pads apart further.
itpphoto

Post by itpphoto »

Thanks DeeDee,
I found a caliper on ebay so I will go that route,

By chance is it DeeDee from the RAMONES ?

Thanks again,
Frank
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

itpphoto wrote:Thanks DeeDee,

Thanks again,
Frank
I think he's dead.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
itpphoto

Post by itpphoto »

Ha, I was kidding, I know he died,

By chance though if you are you a fan, go to youtube, search RAMONES what is this punk rock, it will pop up "a punk roc doc" my 10 minutes of fame from when they played in 1980. If you like I can get you a print.

Thanks,
Frank
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

The metal band I play with, Total F-ng Destruction, is covering "I Want To Be Sedated" on a new grind Ramones tribute record...
https://thehillsaredead.bandcamp.com/al ... -4-blast-2
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

BigDaddy SnakeOiler wrote:
itpphoto wrote:Thanks DeeDee,

Thanks again,
Frank
I think he's dead.
Good catch. Johnny, Joey, DeeDee, Tommy
itpphoto

Post by itpphoto »

Hi - Hi - Hi,

Got the eBay caliper today, so Saturdays project is planned -

DeeDee shoot me a snail mail address to my email; itpphoto@gmail.com I have some RAMONES stuff to send you -

Thanks,
Frank
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Just be careful changing out the fluid. Get a new can of proper brake fluid and be sure to cover anywhere it may even possibly go and take your time. That stuff WILL eat paint!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
itpphoto

Post by itpphoto »

So - the plot thickens ...
It's not the caliper, the piston on the master cylinder was stuck inside the master cylinder. I was able to free up the piston by twisting it slightly and it popped back out.
I opened the caliper bleeder and was able to gravity bleed some fluid out.
BUT - I can not get any pressure at the master, it cycles in and springs back but will not build any pressure.

Any ideas ?

Thanks, Frank
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Bummer. Sometimes you start with the most accessible/cheapest part and work your way from there. Maybe you can get this for $39.00. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-GENUINE-B ... 0121!US!-1
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

DeeDee wrote:Bummer. Sometimes you start with the most accessible/cheapest part and work your way from there. Maybe you can get this for $39.00. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-GENUINE-B ... 0121!US!-1
I think this sounds like the way to go.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
SnowATree

Post by SnowATree »

I'm having a similar problem, where I left my 2009 Buddy 125 in the garage and hadn't turned it on for a few months and now the front brake won't engage at all. Would you recommend going to Ebay for a new caliper? Or buy the whole brake/caliper system DeeDee mentioned?

I gotta find a Youtube video of this procedure of bleeding things out and cleaning the system, it's my first time taking the buddy apart
itpphoto

Post by itpphoto »

I would check the handle bar master cylinder, if that piston is stuck try and free it and see if that does it. If not then it's probably the caliper. In my case it was the master.
I wound up getting a new master ($69) but just got it and will install this week. If it turns out you need a caliper let me know via email; itpphoto@gmail.com and I'll send it to you.

Good luck,
Frank
SnowATree

Post by SnowATree »

I was able to bleed the brakes and replace with new braking fluid which resolved the issue, there was no brake fluid left in there. I'm wondering if there's a leak somewhere but the reservoir is dry and sealed as well as the pipes leading to the Caliper.

Thank you for your help Frank and others! :)
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You're saying your brake system was completely empty? You pulled the reservoir cover and it was empty? Was there any fluid in the line? Surely looks like a leak. Do your pads still have plenty of meat on them? How many miles on the scooter?
SnowATree

Post by SnowATree »

When I bled it, there was a decent amount of old/blackish fluid in there but the reservoir was empty yes. So the old fluid was left over in the lines.

My scooter had been sitting for a long time (5 months +) without me riding and when I bought it I never looked at the fluid level. Currently it has 9100 miles on it, I got it with 8000 miles on it.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I've seen original front pads at 9k that still had half the life left. What's the deal with your?
SnowATree

Post by SnowATree »

The pads look like they're in good condition, they brake very well. It's a very sensitive response in the front so I assume that's another good indicator. Would you agree DeeDee?