Went for a slide today

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Gimpy

Went for a slide today

Post by Gimpy »

Today I laid the Buddy down. Turning a corner at a slow speed and hit a patch of Pea gravel. I was down so quick that I didn't even have time to say "Dang". Seriously damaged my pride, some scratches on the new Buddy and will have to replace the headlight trim ring. A lightly skinned knee but otherwise no injuries. The helmet, jacket and gloves did their work. It has been a few years since I laid one down or went over the handlebars (ex-motocross rider). That patch of gravel just snuck up on me, so learn from my mistake and watch the road as well as the "cagers". Today was a decent day for riding , a little windy but at least it was not raining. We have had flooding and it is going to get cold again this weekend so we have not had a lot of good riding days.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hey, sorry to hear about your spill. Glad you had on riding gear and that you weren't hurt. You are so right about pea gravel and your description of the fall sounds exaclty right. One second you're riding along and the next second you wash out the front in some gravel and you're on the ground so quickly that you hardly even know it. Reading the road is a vital part of the skill set of a rider. Thanks for the reminder about that!

Anyway, glad you and your Buddy are mostly okay.

-John

P.S. If you want to swap your plastic bodywork where it got scratched, it's pretty cheap and your dealer can order it for you. I'd leave it like it is. Wear the scratches proudly.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Glad to hear you came out of it safely! Take care

Better Days
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

This is one of my biggest fears- well maybe not fears but things that I am always envisioning. There's gravel on a lot of my day-to-day turns and I watch for it and try to avoid it but I always see myself going down.

Glad you're alright and thanks for posting this reminder!
heavypetting

Post by heavypetting »

It's hard to keep an eye on the cars, pedestrians, potholes AND the dreaded gravel/sand!

Once you've had the experience, it's actually liberating.
It's like, okay...that wasn't too bad.

Welcome to the club, everyone joins sooner or later.
My chicken is smarter than your honor student!
www.mrjoy.net
Liz C

Post by Liz C »

Sorry to hear this, Gimpy. I feel ya.

Me, my paranoia lately is about potholes, envisioning my wheels as teeny tiny and ready to pitch me into the unforgiving tarmac. Maybe I need a reverse self-hypnosis technique wherein my wheels are gigantic.

I think of potholes and gravel and railroad tracks and the like and am reminded that "Y' got to r'spec the gator. R'spec the gator, gator r'spec' YOU!" If you saw Reno 911 you'll get the reference.
Check out my fave NSR website: http://schmitt-hall-studios.com/
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

Glad to hear your ok. I haven't dumped the scooter yet, but as a long time cyclist I've had my share of road rash. Keep the scratched panels. They give your scooter character and street cred!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Gravel = Death! :shock:

My wrist is still sore from when I layed my scoot down 2 weeks ago. It's amazing how quickly it happens! I'm glad you're ok; that's the most important thing right there.
maribell

Post by maribell »

glad you're alright