Trying to get an almost-stolen Buddy50 working again

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

David.Buddy50

Trying to get an almost-stolen Buddy50 working again

Post by David.Buddy50 »

Hi - I'm new here. Sorry for starting out with a mess, but I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

My Niece lives nearby and has a Buddy 50. Someone tried to steal it - broke the front cover / windshield off and yanked the wires off the ignition - all before noticing it had a wheel lock!!

I removed the ignition switch and am trying to fix the wires. I am not sure I got the wires in the correct place. 1 was snapped, so it was easy to match. The others pulled off the solder ball, so no way to match them up.

With my best guess to match them up, the scooter will crank, but not start. The horn and blinkers work, so I don't think it is a bad fuse or battery.

Can someone look at these photos and tell me if they think I have it wired correctly?

Is there a "black box" that would disable the ignition after an event like this?

Any other ideas? If not, I will start the usual fuel, spark, compression troubleshooting...
Attachments
IMG_1963.JPG
IMG_1963.JPG (123.13 KiB) Viewed 225 times
IMG_1962.JPG
IMG_1962.JPG (139.9 KiB) Viewed 225 times
David.Buddy50

Post by David.Buddy50 »

It has Mfg date of 12/2014.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Eep.

Well the good news is that they don't have anything to cut out ignition in the event of theft, unlike the buddy 170 and hooligans, which have a theft-protection circuit built in to the ignition switch. The Buddy 50 is much more basic in terms of wiring.

If you do end up replacing the ignition switch and key, you'll want part number P55520000003.

Red is your battery lead, and that connects to orange to send power when you turn the key. I suspect you have your blue and yellow wires reversed. Before you do any rewiring, check for spark. If you don't have that, then reverse those wires. If you do, then you have it wired correctly, and something else is going on.
David.Buddy50

Post by David.Buddy50 »

I checked the spark and it was there. Tried to kick start it and it started to run after maybe 10 tries. Put some fresh gas in, and now it starts every time using the starter.

Not quite sure what was wrong, but the wires were correct, and now it runs!

I'll take it!

Thanks for the help.