Highest mileage Stella 4t

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

alain173

Highest mileage Stella 4t

Post by alain173 »

Hi all!
I just bought a new to me 2012 Stella 4t with about 100 miles on it. Already put nearly 200 on myself in last 3 days. What’s the expected life of this thing? I love it! 20k 30k 50k? Would love to see pics of high milers. Thanks[/code]
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

I got my original engine up to about 17,000 before a timing chain guide failed. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten much more if I had just replaced that, but I started modding it heavily and had much trouble for another 2000 before I gave up.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

4t engines generally tend to be fairly reliable and long lived, if they are cared for. As SnakeOiler observed, start moding them and going for higher performance, reliability goes down. In the case of the 4T Stella your bigger problem is likely parts rather than miles. The bike has been discontinued and the factory has been closed, so you should expect parts supply to start drying up.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

As it was mentioned before, spare parts will be the issue. The Stella 4T was made by LML in India which went out of business and has been liquidated. LML went out of business before, but this time it seems to have stuck. The highest bidder to open LML back up was much less than the liquidation (scrap) value of the company. The investors chose to liquidate and take the money they could.
alain173

Post by alain173 »

Thanks for the replies. 17k is good, was hoping to see much higher before engine work, but these little motors are working hard. I'm not too concerned with parts. It seems like you can still get plenty of parts on ebay and such. Just got back from a 80 mile round trip, lovin it! 111mpg
Dooglas

Re: Highest mileage Stella 4t

Post by Dooglas »

alain173 wrote:I just bought a new to me 2012 Stella 4t
The discussion about future availability of parts is very different for the 2T and the 4T Stella. The 2T Stella has substantial parts compatibility with P/PX Vespas. The 4T is somewhat more of an orphan.