Change a jet

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JJScoot

Change a jet

Post by JJScoot »

How long/difficult would it be for me to change the jet on my buddy 50? Is it something a moderately handy guy can handle? Any advice from those who have done it? I think I want that sport exhaust and the up jet is recommended to be done with it.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

It's not hard. You just need two screw drivers and a (spring) clamp.

Clamp off the gas line, remove the carb, remove the bowl from the carb, remove old jet... then reverse the steps.
Last edited by JettaKnight on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

If you can use a screwdriver, you can probably change that jet. You'll need a 8mm and 10mm socket and wrench, and a screwdriver (both phillips and flathead).
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

No need to clamp the gas line. If your petcock is ok, no gas will flow. Open the drain screw to drain the bowl. Undo the fuel and vacuum lines. It's tricky to remove the boot to your airbox. There is a trick to loosening the screw on #11 to remove the boot. Go careful, or you will get frustrated and yank the hose from the airbox. Loosen the screw on the intake manifold, and flip the carb over. Remove the bowl. Jets are right there. I don't remember if you need to unscrew the throttle cable needle at the carb or not.
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-08-01 at 3.45.18 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-08-01 at 3.45.18 PM.png (98.9 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Thanks guys. So I won’t need to pull the carb completely out?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You need to unhook the carb and flip it over. There is no need to remove the auto enricher. I haven't done this to a 50 in a while. You may or may not have to remove the throttle cable. If you do have to remove it, it is no big deal.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Stanza wrote:If you can use a screwdriver, you can probably change that jet. You'll need a 8mm and 10mm socket and wrench, and a screwdriver (both phillips and flathead).
I've never worked on a 50cc, but I don't recall any bolts on the 125cc - just two clamps holding it at each end.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I think you need an 8mm wrench or socket to get the carb off. I don't know why you are rejetting but there is a idle mixture adjustment screw hidden under a welch plug. You might need access to it for future adjustment. And FIY the black plastic knob is not the idle mix its the idle speed adjustment.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

lovemysan wrote:I think you need an 8mm wrench or socket to get the carb off. I don't know why you are rejetting but there is a idle mixture adjustment screw hidden under a welch plug. You might need access to it for future adjustment. And FIY the black plastic knob is not the idle mix its the idle speed adjustment.
The last sentence of my post.