Vespa smallframe - fair price

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jaywillforget

Vespa smallframe - fair price

Post by Jaywillforget »

I have an opportunity to buy a 74 primavera 125. Runs but needs work. All original except Battery was replaced with rectifiers, carb needs rebuilding, probably needs seals/bearings. Body is straight and has brand new tires and rims. He’s asking $2300. It will need a good amount of work. What do you think? Is it worth $2300??
I posted here because I know the seller follows mordern Vespa
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Looks like he accidentally added an extra zero

Smallies hold value but the market has crashed unless you live in a super hip city with a vintage shop.

It's probably worth $1500-2K running and driving. Shipping the engine off for a rebuild will run you about that much. If he thinks it's worth 2K+ in that condition, it's better just to walk away. Unless money isn't an issue
Jaywillforget

Post by Jaywillforget »

I was thinking it was high but I have been hunting for one for a while and (at least in my area) can’t find one. Do you have any leads? The one positive is it is very local to me. Also the scooter group around here is very willing and happy to help out with the work.
Where else can I look?
Jaywillforget

Post by Jaywillforget »

Also, I am itching for a good winter project. Would be my first rebuild and would love the experience.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

If not getting a good deal isn't the end of the world for you and a smallie is what you want - go for it. They don't come up for sale too often.

I wouldn't overpay for something like a P-Series, but they're a dime a dozen.

There's far worse ways to spend $2k
Jaywillforget

Post by Jaywillforget »

It’s a hard call because on the one hand I know I am overpaying but on the other hand I have been looking for months on line and even if I found one I would have to pay somewhere around $400 + to ship it (without having actually seen it).
I’m going to a rally next weekned. They have a smallframe in a raffle. If I don’t win it I might pull the trigger on this one. As you said - they don’t come up that often. Not as easy to find one for a deal.
I love my PX150 but a smally would be a nice addition.
These things are like crack!
Last edited by Jaywillforget on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaywillforget

Post by Jaywillforget »

Btw - were are you?
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

NOLA

If you're the gambling type, dropping a grand at a rally's raffle is *almost* a sure fire way to win a scooter

My friends out in Pensacola would do this to support the rally and they'd always get a scooter. Not just one, but TWO new Kymcos. They finally had to stop because they ran out of room. :lol:
Jaywillforget

Post by Jaywillforget »

Doing that has certainly crossed my mind. But if I didn’t win it my wife would kill me!