Commute question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Bobster

Commute question

Post by Bobster »

I'm new to the board, just got a Roughhouse R50. It's currently stock and unrestricted. I have a 2.5 mile commute on a street that has a 40mph speed limit. That's WOT for me. Is it healthier for the scooter to stay stock and run WOT for most of my commute or to put a BBK, pipe and more efficient air filter on it and run 75% throttle to work? Thanks in advance for any advise!
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Well you should probably avoid that route for the first break in miles, you don't want to be thrashing this thing at full throttle in its first hundred or so miles, you'll roast the rings and lose speed.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Only 2.5 miles, I would leave it stock other than the sliders, maybe a pipe. I would wait until the warranty runs out before overhauling it.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I should have mentioned, its a 2014 R50 with 1800 miles on the clock.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Ha, never mind then! Blast away.

However, a stock RH should be able to do better than 40 on the flat. In good shape, they should be able to pin the speedometer given enough room. If yours is hitting a wall, you likely have worn out rollers and probably need to replace the belt as well. At 1800 miles, that's kind of premature, but it's the first thing I would check.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

As a follow up, half throttle should get you to just about 40. It's possible that your top end is down on compression, which would be a different headache entirely. If that's the case, it's time to kit it.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Stock is more reliable
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I am at nearly a mile high in Loveland CO. Also I'm talking GPS speed on my iphone, its 50mph indicated on the speedo. Stock tire size 130/90/10 rear and 120/90/10 front.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Seems like you're good then. I drive on a 45mph rd for about 6 miles with my Buddy 50. It is multi lane most of the way, so I dont have to worry about holding up traffic. I cruise along right now on flat ground at 41-42 gps mph. Sliders help and are an easy mod. I am getting ready to order the sport exhaust (not Prima one) that is supposed to help a little with speed without voiding my warranty or being too loud. I might kit it later on, but for now I think it is plenty fast enough for a 50 at stock. Last thing I want to do is upgrade and then start having gremlins.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Thanks JJ, that's what I'm thinking too. Just wondered if wide open throttle for a couple miles was harmful. I would like to change the sliders.